Some similarities I find between figure skating and cheerleading | Golden Skate

Some similarities I find between figure skating and cheerleading

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As some of you know, I'm a cheerleader that's also a huge figure skating fan. In this past year, I have found some similarities between figure skating and cheerleading that are analogous to each other. And a few other/exact similarities. I've decided to post on similarities between them

• In figure skating, when skaters are learning new jumps, they're in a harness with a person holding it and pulling them up when they jump. In cheerleading, when we're learning new tumbling, we have someone spot us on our thighs and back, or just the back.
  • I compare cheerleading jumps and stunts to figure skating spins. Also I compare tumbling to figure skating jumps. How so? Well I've seen some novice and pre-noviceish protocols for competitions. And what I saw made me see a similarity: Although skaters at lower levels (novice and less) can do some of the exact same spins as junior and senior-level skaters, they can't quite do the same difficult jumps at all or the same level. And this reminds me that although in my high school cheerleading team, a lot of my teammates can do really complex stunts and some and do very good jumps, VERY few of them can do back handspring and fewer can do more than just a standing back handspring. In fact where I went to high school, if you had even just a standing back handspring, you were automatically on varsity because we needed as much tumblers as we could.
  • Biellmann spins look like scorpions in a cheerleading stunt.
  • Split jumps or Russian splits look like toe-touch jumps though the preps are different.
  • Both sports have competitions.
  • Both are judged sports in competitions.
  • Guys can learn some tumbling and do them better than some girls just like guys can do harder jumps than girls in skating.
  • Make-up can be heavy in both sports in competitions. In fact I remember when I took my sparkly make-up with glitter off my face, it took at least two makeup wipes to clean everything off.
  • Under nerves, cheerleaders can undercut their tumbling or reduce the number of back handsprings they do, while some skaters might pop, UR or downgrade a jump.
  • Usually the cheerleaders who start at a very young age are more likely to get at the best level and the same goes for skaters.
  • Both sports use music for competition though in cheerleading we almost ALWAYS use use songs with lyrics and at least six different songs (A guess) and we make the mix and it's REALLY fast-paced, has sound effects (bells, whistles, a sound that sounds like someone cocking a gun, the sound of an arcade video game gun being fired (That's the only way I can describe one particular sound effect)), and some voiceovers. Figure skating, well we know. Starting to use more lyric songs.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but I'm sure there's more.

Last edited:
What about music? Do you do your competitive routines to music, and is this an important part of the choreography?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The difference in the music choices is very interesting to me.

Both sports are on TV, but not as often as I would like ;)

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The difference in the music choices is very interesting to me.

Both sports are on TV, but not as often as I would like ;)

Cheerleading EVEN LESS. Because the only big competitions that are noticed are college nationals and All-star worlds. Both are held in Orlando, Florida every year.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Both sports are often criticized for not meeting the criteria for being considered a 'true' sport.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Both sports are often criticized for not meeting the criteria for being considered a 'true' sport.

Definitely. Sometimes I find cheerleading even more called, "not a sport." One time in my physics class when I was in high school, I snapped at a classmate who said cheerleading isn't a sport.

Like I find cheer and skating harder than some other sports in some way or form.

In cheerleading, we lift PEOPLE up in the air. Pairs do it too and ice dance too.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I consider figure skating a sport most definitely. How else can you explain all of the unsportsmanlike behavior amongst some of its fans? :drama:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I consider figure skating a sport most definitely. How else can you explain all of the unsportsmanlike behavior amongst some of its fans? :drama:

YES!!!

And THINK! To jump, ROTATE and land on a BLADE and NOT FALL. That sounds HARD. REALLY HARD in my opinion. So I know that figure skating is not easy.

I told this to some who skates when I was talking to her on twitter over a year ago as a response when she told me that figure skating isn't easy and being easy is the last thing it is. When I told what I said about jumps that I mentioned, she was SO happy that I understood that it wasn't easy.