Gwyneth Paltrow | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Gwyneth Paltrow

katherine2001

On the Ice
Maybe she could name her next child Banana. If the kids at school are aware of Yagudin's "One banana, two bananas", they could call the kid that. My father's first and middle names were Junius Whittaker, after his father (his grandfather was very much into Latin names) and took so much teasing in school that he would not allow any of his kids to be given unusual names. If you are going to give them an unusual first name, at least give them a common middle name so that they can use that and just use their first initial if they want to.

diver chick

On the Ice
To each their own but I think the important thing is to remember your situation, circumstances and maybe think a little into the future and how it will affect the child.

For example - I love French and Italian names but without the appropriate surname to go with it there are very few I would use for a child of mine. Take David & Victoria Beckham for example. To my mind there is absolutely nothing wrong with the name Brooklyn, what is all wrong is that it is publicly known why the child has been named Brooklyn and he will have to deal with that in the future. And as for Romeo, again a lovely name but to me Romeo Beckham just doesn't do justice to the name - maybe that's just me.

My little sister has a very Irish name, but then she has a very Irish surname to go with it and she lives in Ireland where although it isn't a hugely common name, people know how to pronounce it. Take her out of Ireland and people have no clue and end up butchering her name and saying what a silly name it is.

I have a running joke with my boyfriend that if we ever have a girl we will call her Polly and if we really fancied jumping on the weird name train we would call a child Deep, Empty, Trouser - my boyfriends surname is Pockett :\

Kateri

On the Ice
diver chick said:

I have a running joke with my boyfriend that if we ever have a girl we will call her Polly and if we really fancied jumping on the weird name train we would call a child Deep, Empty, Trouser - my boyfriends surname is Pockett :\

I take it you've heard the story about the parents who named their daughter Wild, as her surname was Rose.
Then she married a Mr. Bull....

k.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
so nice of Gwyneth to name her kid after my computer.

Actually, I would think since Gwyneth's husband - Chris Martin - is from the music industry (Cold Play) you think "Apple" could be a nod to the Beatles "Apple" record label and perhaps she is the "apple of his eye?"

Bubbles

Rinkside
In today's paper, it said that Coldplay's agent's daughter's name is Apple and that Paltrow/Martin asked him if he minded if they used the name.

Jill

On the Ice
At the risk of being insensitive, here goes. Whenever I encounter some dopey broad that named her kid something stupid (like apple, for instance), I ask her if she wants her kid to hate her.

Whenever I encounter some equally dopey broad that named her kid some name that's so overused it should be outlawed, I grin and say, "Now there's one you don't hear too often!"

As far as being made fun of, name me someone who wasn't made fun of as a kid, and they were probably the bully who made fun of everyone else.

heyang

Record Breaker
My niece's name is Fredilyn Janet after her 2 grandmothers. Technically, her 1st name should be Fredersynnia, but my brother objected because it would be too hard to spell (I didn't spell it correctly - I just spelled it phonetically. It has many more letters.) I'm not sure where my SIL mother got the name, but they are from the Philippines where just about everyone is called by a nickname.

Any we call my niece Fredi. My SIL wanted to call her Lynn, but my brother taught my nephew David Pol (after his 2 grandfathers) to call his sister Fredi. Sometimes I find myself shortening it to Fred.

My point is that I think that she will like her name when she finds out how it was picked. If the parent is picking a name just because it's unusual, I think it's more difficult. If the parent can explain why the name is important, then the child feels cherished and proud of his/her name.

IDLERACER

Medalist
Two important rules to remember when naming a child:

1. If your last name is a noun of some kind, do not name your son Harry or your daughter Ima.

2. If your last name is a plural noun of some kind, do not, repeat do not name your son Seymour or your daughter Lotta, under any circumstances.

Lucy25

Final Flight
IDLERACER said:
Two important rules to remember when naming a child:

1. If your last name is a noun of some kind, do not name your son Harry ...
No joke, there is a substitute teacher in my building with with this first name and his last name is Jock. :eek: What were his parents thinking??

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
1. If your last name is a noun of some kind, do not name your son Harry ...

Oops, I guess Prince Charles and Princess Diana didn't think of this before naming their second son: Prince Henry Charles Albert David - or "Prince Harry" as he is affectionately known as!!!

:laugh:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
HAHAHA!

My brother's 7th grade teacher was named Mrs. Tuck. Her husband's name was DONALD.

Get it?

DONALD TUCK?

QUACK QUACK :eek: :D :eek:

IDLERACER

Medalist
Mrs. Tuck? I wonder if her husband has a brother, and if so, does he refer to him as "Friar..." well, you get the idea.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I'm not sure about that. I did hear a rumor that the family was originally from France and that their original surname was "Tuck a L'Orange" but shortened to just "Tuck" at Ellis Island.