New Favorites/Discoveries from 2014-15 Season | Golden Skate

New Favorites/Discoveries from 2014-15 Season

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And that's a wrap on the season. Sure time flies by at a very quick rate but stop and think for a second. In the midst of all the craziness who was it that caught your attention this year or maybe who was someone you either never knew about or ever cared to follow before? I can think of a few but I'll start with a little junior girl from Kazakhstan that I just find to be a perfect blend of many influences. Elizabet Turzynbaeva creates something on the ice that I think will suit a lot of peoples interests. She is flexible, strong on her skates, has great interpretation, and for a tiny thing is able to get enough airtime to make her jumps fully rotated with good flow. I'd go as far to say she is a good compromise between the delicate Asian style and the more meticulous Russian style of execution. Maybe she can bridge a few gaps amongst fans.

Here is a little video I made of her from the JWC this season and it highlights what I find to be most amazing about her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dp6yiG78k4

Did anyone change your mind about them? Ten and Voronov seem to have gathered some fans this year. Anyone surprised at someone they now find themselves rooting for? Who are your discoveries?

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like her too. She has a lot of potential. Isn't she training with Orser?

Yup. She used to train with Eteri too but now she trains in Toronto. Her family lives in Moscow though. Lucky and obviosly takented girl to get coaches like that. :yes:

Last edited:

matcha

Medalist
Angelina Kuchvalska. Hopefully she'll rise up through the ranks, it's nice to discover skaters that aren't from the big five.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Angelina Kuchvalska. Hopefully she'll rise up through the ranks, it's nice to discover skaters that aren't from the big five.

:thumbsup: And two other Latvian skaters, Diana Nikitina and Deniss Vasiljevs (well, I started watching him at the end of last season, but close enough).

Latvia and Kazakhstan - the new skating powerhouses. :)

Lots of young Russians...Elizaveta Nugumanova and in the boys (age ~11-13?), Petr Gummenik, Ilia Skira, and a few others whose names I've half-forgotten already (Matvei, Georgi, ah...I should write them down somewhere :eek::). Also in jrs., Dmitry Aliev just caught my attention this season, Daniel Samohin... And the Georgian jr. boy Irakli Maisuradze. And Andrew Torgashev!

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Wakaba Higuchi
Technically, I saw her first at the 2014 Saitama WC Gala as the 'promising local Novice'...But then I saw her compete for the first time at the JGP. -What an amazing jumper and show-woman she is.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I was surprised at how well people seemed to respond to Brendan at 4CC and Worlds :)

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Deniss Vasiljevs & Elizabet & Andrew Torgashev definitely :love:

Petr & Liza 2.0 I was familiar
Hopefully they continue to improve & slay in the future
Also Gubanova

Weathergal

Medalist
Papadakis/Cizeron I first noticed at last year's Worlds, but this is the year they really engaged me.

Chinese pair skaters Yu Xiaoyu/Jin Yang weren't really on my radar until this year, but I really want to see more of them. I especially loved their long program this year.

Israeli men's skater Alexei Bychenko

Danish ice dancers Fournier Beaudry/Sorenson

Gained a new appreciation for Sergei Voronov this year. He never really stood out for me before.

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Papadakis/Cizeron I first noticed at last year's Worlds, but this is the year they really engaged me.

Chinese pair skaters Yu Xiaoyu/Jin Yang weren't really on my radar until this year, but I really want to see more of them. I especially loved their long program this year.

Israeli men's skater Alexei Bychenko

Danish ice dancers Fournier Beaudry/Sorenson

Gained a new appreciation for Sergei Voronov this year. He never really stood out for me before.

I second all of the ice dancers in your post. :) Also adding Maria Artemieva?

Bumdid

Record Breaker
New favorite: Misha Ge
Discovery: Andrew Torgashev, Joshua Farris (never noticed him until this year :p), Elizabet Turzynbaeva, Wakaba Higuchi, Cha Jun Hwan, Daniel Samohin, and Kuchvalska (needs better choreographer though :slink:).

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Evgenia Medvedeva wasn't one I followed either and in the prior season I thought she was very slow and meh but from her first skate in the JGP this year I was blown away. I hope she can keep going forward and remain solid. Very interesting girl and seeing her and her BFF having fun at every step of the way really brought out the lighter side of skating. One I wish many could focus more on.

Alaine Chartrand really impressed me too but everyone knows I'm a sucker for powder blue and gloves :eek:: Seriously though....there is just something fundamentally likable about her. I hope she keeps moving forward and I think she could be Canada's number one going forward.

Last edited:

rain

Record Breaker
Yu/Jin
Joshua Farris
Nam Nguyen (I know he was around last season, but this season cemented his tremendous potential)

Alaine Chartland really impressed me too but everyone knows I'm a sucker for powder blue and gloves Seriously though....there is just something fundamentally likable about her. I hope she keeps moving forward and I think she could be Camada's number one going forward.

Agreed about Chartrand. She has the technical skill to actually challenge, and so much improvement in artistry. I never noticed her before this season.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yu/Jin
Joshua Farris
Nam Nguyen (I know he was around last season, but this season cemented his tremendous potential)

Re: Nam Nguyen

It's all good to have new favorites that were around last season. In fact...they can be the most fun! I loved when Nam came off of the ice and said "Spicy" to Orser describing his skate. I have started using that to describe myself too these days ;)

ETA: My spelling is awful today :eek::

Last edited: