Extra Navicular Bone | Golden Skate

Extra Navicular Bone

Myblade

Rinkside
Does the extra navicular bone effect your skating quality? I have it, and it causes pain after a long skating session, but the pain virtually vanishes afterwards. I am wondering if i have to treat it or something. Just a note- i can only do singles so i am also nervous if the extra navicular bone would cause me more pain if i start landing doubles and triples. I love skating, and i don't want to be held behind because of this injury! Please help!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
You're going to have to provide a bit more information than that. What's an extra navicular bone? Does it hurt? What does it impede? Have you been diagnosed by a doctor, and what did s/he say?

Babbette1

On the Ice
I looked it up in Wikipedia. That's an interesting condition. If it's pretty much asymptomatic except after long sessions, why not wait it out? Since you already know about it, you've already consulted a podiatrist or an orthopedic sugeon specializing in feet. You'll have to convince your doctor that it bothers you enough to warrant surgery to get your insurance to cover it. You might try putting a moleskin donut around it to take the pressure off of it and see if that helps. Just cut the donut out of one of the sheets of moleskin and put the hole over the bone before you lace up your boots. That's something people with bunions and other conditions do.

I have a short first metatarsal. It took me a while but I was able to figure out how to get my insoles to support it. You should take a try at seeing what you can do with your problem too.

Myblade

Rinkside
Thanks for the support! I have sort of figured out a solution. I used to take a ten minute break in the middle of my two hour session, but now I am slowly easing off that break time. Skating strengthens the tendon, so more practice equals less discomfort! Sort of ironic