Jackson skate insoles/arch supports | Golden Skate

Jackson skate insoles/arch supports

gofigure716

Spectator
Hi everyone! I have a pretty specific question regarding insoles, arch supports, and options beyond what comes with stock boots.

I just got new boots, Jackson Supreme 5430 Low Cut. The Matrix insoles that come with them aren't great- the arch of the insole is way too far back towards the heel for my foot's shape. The insoles add pressure, making the boots very uncomfortable at the medial aspect of my heels- not just the plantar surface, but the area on the inner side of my foot, directly below my medial malleolus (the bony bump on the inner ankle). I tried on the boots with the insoles removed, and it's not the padding in the boot adding this pressure, it's the insoles trying to support an arch that is not where the arch of my foot actually is. I am trying to find an insole that will work well to support my arch- in the right location. I need the arch support more under my navicular and medial cuneiform and base of 1st metatarsal, not under the talo/navicular joint. I have flexible flat feet, and I pronate a lot. The Supreme insoles that Jackson used to make seem like they would be a good option for me, but they don't make them anymore and I can't find them online. I've looked at options like Superfeet, but I don't think they have much support, it doesn't look like they have much of an arch. I don't necessarily need a huge arch support, I just need a little bit of support and stability under my arch.
If anyone has suggestions of other insoles/arch supports to try, I'd be very grateful! Thanks!

Also a side note to add background info, I'm a coach and skater- part-time coach with mostly group lessons, and skating just for fun right now- landing all my doubles still, I'm considering going back to competing eventually, or at least finishing my dance tests. I'm currently in Edea Ice Fly and they are fine with arch support, but they're breaking down unreasonably fast even with the proper lacing technique, so I'm moving on from Edea. I loved my old custom Harlicks (lost in a fire 2 years ago) but can't do their crazy long wait time right now. The Jackson's aren't the most comfortable right now even after heat molding, but I think they will be once I can figure out a better insole, and once I get my blades in and can start breaking them in!

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Elija

On the Ice
The new Jackson insoles might work for you. I bought them hoping they would be good for arch support but they were useless - I believe they are more aimed at pronation, not necessarily people with high arches like me. They come in different degrees as well for different levels of pronation.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
I also bought the Jackson supreme insoles (the ones for narrow feet) and wasn't a fan of them precisely for the reason above, the lack of arch support.
I ended up opening my wallet for custom insoles. They were not cheap at all, but I could tell the difference as soon as I stepped into the ice. Made for my feet, they give me support wherever I need and absolutely worth the price.

I don't know where you are located @gofigure716 but this shop is still selling them https://www.wheelsonheels.co.uk/products/supreme-insoles I checked the shop in Estonia where I bought mine but they're sold out over there.

gofigure716

Spectator
The new Jackson insoles might work for you. I bought them hoping they would be good for arch support but they were useless - I believe they are more aimed at pronation, not necessarily people with high arches like me. They come in different degrees as well for different levels of pronation.
The “new” Jackson insoles are the Matrix ones, I think- which is what came with my boots, and they are my problem. Matrix are the only insoles that Jackson has on their website.
Jackson isn’t selling the Supreme insoles anymore, I think those are what you’re talking about. Those are the ones with different degrees to support pronation, and I think those would be great for me but I’m not able to find them online since they stopped making them. Like you said they don’t seem to be for people with high arches- so yeah probably more suitable for my collapsing arches/pronating feet versus yours! I’m going to keep looking for them online because it seems like a good option- if I can find them! Thank you!

gofigure716

Spectator
I also bought the Jackson supreme insoles (the ones for narrow feet) and wasn't a fan of them precisely for the reason above, the lack of arch support.
I ended up opening my wallet for custom insoles. They were not cheap at all, but I could tell the difference as soon as I stepped into the ice. Made for my feet, they give me support wherever I need and absolutely worth the price.

I don't know where you are located @gofigure716 but this shop is still selling them https://www.wheelsonheels.co.uk/products/supreme-insoles I checked the shop in Estonia where I bought mine but they're sold out over there.
Thanks for sharing your experience- I have a feeling that custom insoles are in my future, but hoping I might be able to find another option.

I’m in the US, and unfortunately that website says they don’t ship to my location 😫. Thanks for your help!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I have a feeling that custom insoles are in my future, but hoping I might be able to find another option.
Here's a DIY option that's easy to try out. Start with thin, flat insoles (readily found in the foot care section of supermarkets, pharmacies, and department stores). Trim them to fit your boots. Best to first make trial templates from a sheet of thin card stock (such as a sheet cut from a manila folder or the back of a notepad). When you have a template that fits well, trace it onto the insoles, and then trim the insoles.

Now attach arch supports to the flat insoles. Since you are looking for relatively low supports, rather than high supports, I would recommend the Pedag Balance; available from (where else?) Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Pedag-165-Ad...OQZE/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1. As you see, they come in different sizes. You'll need to first order the size based on your shoe size. You might need another iteration (smaller or larger), though. Pedag also makes the Step arch supports, but they might be too high for you. If you start with the Balance, you can build them up to be higher (I can tell you how if needed); but it's difficult to shave the Step down to be lower.

The arch supports come with a double-sided sticky tape, which is useless. Here's what I do (though with higher Step arch supports). Line the entire top surfaces of the flat insoles with the soft side (the plush loops) of Velcro tape. Use genuine Velcro, not the crappy knockoffs. Then, on the arch supports, remove the double-sided sticky tape from the bottoms, and cover the bottoms with the mating side (the stiff hooks) of Velcro tape. You can now attach the arch supports to the tops of the flat insoles via the Velcro. Do an initial fitting of the arch supports; trace the outlines of the arch supports on the insoles with a marker. Try them out in your boots. Then adjust the positions of the arch supports as needed. The tops of the arch supports are leather. You can also cover them with the plush loops of Velcro tape. I've found that the plush loops (a) make a nice cushion, (b) make a less slippery surface than leather or plastic surfaces (when you have sweaty feet on them), and (c) are extremely durable.

Pedag also makes heel wedges and metatarsal pads should you need to add those later. Heel wedges can be readily placed under the insoles; and the metatarsal pads can be readily attached to the tops of the insoles via Velcro.

Last edited:

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The “new” Jackson insoles are the Matrix ones, I think- which is what came with my boots, and they are my problem. Matrix are the only insoles that Jackson has on their website.
Jackson isn’t selling the Supreme insoles anymore, I think those are what you’re talking about. Those are the ones with different degrees to support pronation, and I think those would be great for me but I’m not able to find them online since they stopped making them. Like you said they don’t seem to be for people with high arches- so yeah probably more suitable for my collapsing arches/pronating feet versus yours! I’m going to keep looking for them online because it seems like a good option- if I can find them! Thank you!
Actually, the Matrix insoles are the old insoles. I think Jackson has been supplying them with their higher end boots since 2016 or so. The new Supreme insoles were introduced only around 2 yrs ago, I think. But looks like they've been discontinued for some reason (the Jackson website for the Supreme insoles now shows ERROR 404; and one online seller announces they have been discontinued and sizes are limited to those in stock)..

Last edited:

Elija

On the Ice
Yeah these are the ones https://skatersedge.co.nz/product/jackson-supreme-insoles-a-pair/

thisismynewsport

Rinkside
Do you have any idea why they stopped selling them? I also noticed they removed it from their website.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Thanks for sharing your experience- I have a feeling that custom insoles are in my future, but hoping I might be able to find another option.

I’m in the US, and unfortunately that website says they don’t ship to my location 😫. Thanks for your help!
Yes, I understand! Before I gave up and opened my wallet to custom insoles, I tried these Jackson Supreme insoles, I tried the SuperFeet carbon something insoles too (none of these products are available locally for me, so it was buying them overseas and paying for the overseas parcel too = $$$), tried a couple of local insoles too until I convinced myself I was paying and paying, looking forward to be right this time and buy the product that would be for me... and I was just paying for things to go in storage because after using them, they were not proper for my feet. Then I got the customs.

I wish your quest ends very differently than me and one of these store bought insoles will serve you well and be your answer for happy skating feet!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm not sure- my Jackson dealer said she had no idea why either, but they're nowhere online, even on the dealer-only site.
You said you're in the US. I just typed "jackson supreme insoles" into Google. Here are 3 US online sellers that have some remaining inventory available (there are others; if you repeat the search at different times, you will get different listings); check for your size and degree of correction:

Last edited:

gofigure716

Spectator
Thanks for the links! I should’ve been more clear- I was looking for the blue (5 degree) insoles as I thought those would be best for my feet, and i wasn’t able to find them in my size in stock online that wasn’t a huge shipping cost (like costs more to ship than the cost of the insoles themselves).

I did end up ordering a pair of yellow (3 degree) from the M&M website above, and I skated in my new boots with those insoles for the first time today. They felt okay- much better with the stock Matrix insoles- but my arches still were cramping within a few minutes of skating. That’s a problem I’ve been fighting for the past decade of my life skating, and no insole is going to fix it completely. I won’t be able to tell how well these skates do with my arch pain until I skate in them a few more times and get them broken in a little more. Not looking for any advice on my feet/arch issues, I work in orthopedics and I have a pretty extensive knowledge both personally and professionally of what’s going on with my feet, so I’m not looking for advice/suggestions related to my arch pain.

Thank you again for everyone’s suggestions on insoles- I do appreciate it! If anyone has other suggestions for insoles beyond the Jackson Supremes or others mentioned above, I will take it!

Friday

Rinkside
I have flexibel, collapsed arches as well and had the same problem when I started to skate. I used to endure it for a few sessions, but switch the insoles fairly early for a pair of Superfeet Carbon Hockey Pro (real Superfeet Yellow isn't available in my country).

I know you said that they don't look very sturdy, but believe me, they are! At least for me, they cup my heel perfectly and the arch support of them is nice. It's made of some plastic and it endures a lot. I used them for a year now and they are still perfect.

I have tried the Riedell R-Fit as well, but didn't like them. They were way to flimsy for me and I had the constant feeling they would just break through under my feet due to the material.

If you would like to try out the Superfeet and your skate size is inbetween the Superfeet sizes, I recommend choosing the next bigger size due to the larger arch support. I read in a different forum that the smaller one has a tendency to have a much smaller arch support and therefore often doesn't fit the natural (collapsed) arch of the feet in size.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
You should be able to find them at Maison de Patin which ships worldwide and the owner is the person who developed the insoles.
Adding to the above comment because I just learned something as I too was on a quest for Supreme insoles.
1) Yes, Jackson have discontined the Supreme insoles (as confirmed with a Jackson rep); however some retailers do have inventory, but it is dwindling as we all snatch them up.
2) Maison du Patin was at a competition we attended this summer and they explained that they had licensed the tech or contract manufactured the Supreme insoles for Jackson. Although Jackson discontinued them, the in-house "Correct Motion" brand are *supposedly* equivalent (also have the 2, 3 and 7 degree versions). The Correct Motion insoles run in Euro sizes (e.g. 40, 41, 42) instead of north american sizes. you can order them from their online website.

I should receive the insoles soon and I'll report back as to how similar (or not) they are to the Supreme Insoles. The rep at the competition was telling me that they should be the same and that I didn't have to worry about Supreme insoles being discontinued because I could simply replace with the Correct Motion ones.

************UPDATE:***************
We received the "Correct Motion" insoles from Maison du Patin. We did have to reach out to them to confirm which Euro size would correspond to our Jackson skate size, but they appear to be pretty much the same except that these have zero branding or lettering on them. Skater is happy and reports no perceptible difference in performance, so I'm happy. They are a few dollars cheaper than the Supreme ones, for what its worht.

Last edited: