Recalling Falls | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Recalling Falls

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
And this is why I've always said, it doesn't matter how darned deep your edges are, it means jack all if you can't control them.

I must admit to being impressed with the 4T-3T land-it-ON-the-boards, though. Well done. Was that 2013 Worlds, because he wasn't the only one to strike the boards - but Max did have a little more running edge before he smacked them.

I really agree with you on this.

More so on transitions: so what, you can do transitions into hard elements but if you don't land them, they fail! Why are you still getting credit for them?

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
And this is why I've always said, it doesn't matter how darned deep your edges are, it means jack all if you can't control them.

I must admit to being impressed with the 4T-3T land-it-ON-the-boards, though. Well done. Was that 2013 Worlds, because he wasn't the only one to strike the boards - but Max did have a little more running edge before he smacked them.

No it was at GPF 2011. At 2013 WC I don't recall he hit the board. He had normal falls.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Well, I guess if you go into jumps with the speed and flow and difficult entries that Chan has, you're bound to see some crazy falls. :laugh:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Uh, Patrick's edge control is better than the vast majority of the field. But I guess posting a compilation of errors definitively proves he can't control his edges. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Well, I guess if you go into jumps with the speed and flow and difficult entries that Chan has, you're bound to see some crazy falls. :laugh:

But..........I don't think any of the falls posted were on his jumps :biggrin:

eta: Oh there is the one, the combo on the boards.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
But..........I don't think any of the falls posted were on his jumps :biggrin:

Well, many of the falls posted were him running into the barriers because the rink was too small for him, so I'd say that was due to his incredible speed and flow. :biggrin:

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Kevin Tan, the gymnast, is immortalized in the Urban Dictionary and his last name is now used as a verb to describe falls and fails of all kinds...perhaps "Chan" can be a synonym?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tan&defid=3290162

100 comments, and half of them downvotes? That's hardly immortalizing. That's ridiculously disrespectful to Kevin Tan. He actually had a strong routine until the major error, and the US men couldn't have done any better than team bronze in Beijing, even if he had stuck his routine.

Also, there have been plenty of skaters who have fallen like Chan. I suppose if they were attempting Chan's difficulty/choreography, they'd be falling more themselves.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Every skater has had loss of edge control leading to falls... from Chan on that twizzle (a difficult LFI twizzle, mind you)...

... to Hanyu falling in his 2012 Worlds FS on a counter (now his entry into a 3A)... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2ejAjIFkfo#t=7m32

... to Plushenko's crazy waxel fall at Euros 2004 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LjGcxWpoPU#t=1m25s and that competition where he skidded off his edge going into a 3L (anyone remember which one?).

It doesn't mean they lack control in general.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
LOL Patrick's fall was really fitting the music there, I'll give him that! But that's crazy because I have seen him doing this kind of spin entry fall a couple of times!
Yeah that'd be so cool that Yuzuru starts doing split-fall transitions!! Then everybody would copy him and it would become the new tano, with skaters doing it on every jump lol:)

OMG this fall is HUGE and yeah so funny!

Fusar-Poli was one SCARY woman. I think Margaglio should feel lucky to still be alive. Also he really can thank her that she made his career!

After all the hype, I watched this & it doesn't seem that bad to me. :confused: People call that a death stare? She just looks disappointed...Ksenia at Euros was much more unnerving, imo (and I am a fan of hers). Are there other examples of this so-called "death stare"?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
After all the hype, I watched this & it doesn't seem that bad to me. :confused: People call that a death stare? She just looks disappointed...Ksenia at Euros was much more unnerving, imo (and I am a fan of hers). Are there other examples of this so-called "death stare"?

Oh, that was a death stare.... there are three things people remember from Fusar-Poli/Margaglio... them winning the World title (undeservedly, IMO), him being a much inferior skater to her, and that death glare.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Every skater has had loss of edge control leading to falls... from Chan on that twizzle (a difficult LFI twizzle, mind you)...

... to Hanyu falling in his 2012 Worlds FS on a counter (now his entry into a 3A)... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2ejAjIFkfo#t=7m32

... to Plushenko's crazy waxel fall at Euros 2004 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LjGcxWpoPU#t=1m25s and that competition where he skidded off his edge going into a 3L (anyone remember which one?).

It doesn't mean they lack control in general.
But you gotta admit Chan has so many of these bizarre falls. Other skaters have their moments have strange falls (and they've been mentioned on this thread), but they're nowhere near as numerous (or epic).

I wouldn't necessarily say it's lack of control... more like lack of concentration.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I wouldn't necessarily say it's lack of control... more like lack of concentration.

Agreed, that it's a focus thing. But ice is slippery so it happens to everyone. I mean, you look at Kim messing up her spiral, possibly costing her another World title, and V/T's death spiral error costing them a World title. It happens to the best.

As far as Chan having more falls, I think if we looked hard enough at many skaters, you'd find a lot of awkward falls or epic fail moments, and not just on jumps. Clearly, somebody posting a compilation of falls is doing just that posting a compilation, so it looks like Chan has more than others -- I'm sure we could make compilations with Plu, Hanyu and several other skaters.

Chan seems to be really hit or miss, either it's flawlessly executed or it's an awkward fall.

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Agreed, that it's a focus thing. But ice is slippery so it happens to everyone. I mean, you look at Kim messing up her spiral, possibly costing her another World title, and V/T's death spiral error costing them a World title. It happens to the best.

As far as Chan having more falls, I think if we looked hard enough at many skaters, you'd find a lot of awkward falls or epic fail moments, and not just on jumps. Clearly, somebody posting a compilation of falls is doing just that posting a compilation, so it looks like Chan has more than others -- I'm sure we could make compilations with Plu, Hanyu and several other skaters.

Chan seems to be really hit or miss, either it's flawlessly executed or it's an awkward fall.
I have actually seen a fail compilation of Plushenko. It's mainly... falls/stumbles on jumps. Quite boring, actually, and few worthy of this thread. :p I recall him falling on footwork twice, but neither time was in competition (one was a rehearsal video, another was the gala of the same program). I don't remember him crashing into the boards, though he had a close call with a lutz once.

This thread isn't titled "Compilation of Patrick Chan's Falls." But you can't police what people bring to the thread. If they find a fall memorable, they will post it here.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think it's pretty clear that this thread has (unsurprisingly) devolved into a Chan-bash fest, but whatevs... haters gonna hate. :)

daphenaxa

Record Breaker

If you have awkward falls or epic fail moments from other skaters please feel free to post them! :) I didn't make this thread against Chan or any skaters specifically. It is just a funny thread.
But if you are just here to write odes to Patrick and explain to everyone that his falls demonstrate his perfect skating skills, please begin another thread!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
If you have awkward falls or epic fail moments from other skaters please feel free to post them! :) I didn't make this thread against Chan or any skaters specifically. It is just a funny thread.
But if you are just here to write odes to Patrick and explain to everyone that his falls demonstrate his perfect skating skills, please begin another thread!

When did I say his falls demonstrate his perfect skating skills? I'm saying a few of his awkward falls were due to the speed he carries across the ice.

I know you didn't intend for the thread to be like that, but it's turning into a bash fest. It's a bit weird to have a thread showcasing skaters' errors as it simply becomes a means to mock skaters.

Pika

Final Flight
I think it's pretty clear that this thread has (unsurprisingly) devolved into a Chan-bash fest, but whatevs... haters gonna hate. :)

Pleaaaaaaase this was supposed to be a funny thread, and not supposed to turn into an umpteenth debate on Chan, or any skater. Of course everyone has bad, sometimes quite stupid falls, saying that Patrick has one of the funniest is not bashing him, we would laugh even with other skaters. You can defend your favs, but this is turning into paranoia.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Pleaaaaaaase this was supposed to be a funny thread, and not supposed to turn into an umpteenth debate on Chan, or any skater. Of course everyone has bad, sometimes quite stupid falls, saying that Patrick has one of the funniest is not bashing him, we would laugh even with other skaters. You can defend your favs, but this is turning into paranoia.

Well to be fair, there was one or two people making backhanded comments but isn't that how it always starts? :laugh:

Anyways, lets move on and stay on topic, I don't want this thread to be deleted since its fun :yay:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I know you didn't intend for the thread to be like that, but it's turning into a bash fest. It's a bit weird to have a thread showcasing skaters' errors as it simply becomes a means to mock skaters.

Does it remind you of the way that so many threads that have nothing to do with Plushenko end up turning into Plushy-bashing fests? People who live in glass houses...

I remember when Morgan dropped Vanessa at Worlds last year - that looked painful. I would totally have a death stare if someone ever dropped me like some of these poor girls...with no apologies.

https://youtu.be/tayqrvdQ8b8?t=309

Last edited:

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
When did I say his falls demonstrate his perfect skating skills? I'm saying a few of his awkward falls were due to the speed he carries across the ice.

No it is not turning into a bash fest. One person said something about skating skills and if you had left it at that, it wouldn't have escalated. It is not a mean to mock skaters either. If you see the early posts you'll see that people are a lot more endeared by these mistakes than mocking them. If you don't like this weird thread, don't come into it.