Who Do You Think Will Have Breakout Season Among Youngsters? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who Do You Think Will Have Breakout Season Among Youngsters?

Rissa

Record Breaker
I second the opinion that Nam has already had a breakout season.:)

I'm not sure about Shoma Uno this season, upgraded tech can be tricky to execute and ruin the consistency. It seems to me that first senior season rarely is a breakout for men, more often for girls. So, Medvedeva?

witcher

Match Penalty
Mariah Bell... she only has one grand prix event and it's the most stacked grand prix event where she'll likely be skating in the first group. Her programs are decent but the jumps don't seem to be all that stable. She also older than Sotnikova(and Tukt, Pogo, Lip, Radio, Med) and so if she does have a breakout season it's quite a condemnation of the whole US system of developing talent.
wow :eek:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
On Tursynbaeva... I think she's only had one standout event... if you look at her overall career relative to who she skated against in Russia, she really hasn't progressed relatively. I'm skeptical that she has the natural talent to ever make the senior grand prix final. Her unbalanced SP for this year doesn't work well IMO.

it wasnt one event, she had 2 clean skates at NRW Trophy as well, and had clean LP at final round of Skate Detroit and scored 128, she had 62 PCS there , so she probably wont be getting that high this season, but her score still would be around 122-123, and thats higher score than what Gracie got at SA and same as what she got at NHK for her LP, never say never :)
and when i compare her performances at Nagoya Cup and Junior Worlds, her progress is there i think,plus not everyone reach their potential at same age and she has great team behind her so i think its still early to say she will never make it to GPF

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
you didnt? :shocked: well you should :biggrin: here is her SP and LP from junior worlds :love: and i kinda feel like (i hope rather) that puperty will go easy on her haha

yeah, thats why i included him even though he had great season, to discuss if he will be able to show more maturity and stay on top of other youngsters; he sure has consistency and likeability for it, i cant wait to see
we will see
Shoma vs Adian at SA
Nam vs Petrov vs Jun Hyoung and SC
Shoma vs Petrov at TEB
Nam vs Adian at COR
wow, surprisingly Boyang wont be against any youngster during GPS except Moris (not so youngster but still relatively new to GPS :biggrin:) at COC :laugh:

cannot wait for these VS... it shows the sports is about to switch as not only there are great duels at the top but also among the up and coming in the GP... excited

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I really want to like Medvedeva and put her as a breakthrough pick here, but my goodness - the tano on every other jump is already bugging the hell out of me. And now it's all I see when she skates. It got very old very quickly for me.
:scowl:

Does Tano Girl get extra credit for all those jump passes with the Tano???? She looks exceptional but, I agree, all those Tanos are so distracting.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Evgenia vs. Karen vs. Elizabet vs. Miyu vs. Mariah at SA...battle of the newbies! This is gonna be good!

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Does Tano Girl get extra credit for all those jump passes with the Tano???? She looks exceptional but, I agree, all those Tanos are so distracting.

It's a GOE bullet apparently so I guess it's affects her GOEs, personally I don't care about them but they certainly make her memorable.

I have Medvedeva pegged for this season, I think it'll be like the other Russian ladies, their first senior season is usually quite stellar, I think she'll be a huge threat, personally I like Tursynbaeva and Chen best but Chen has problems with consistency

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I really want to like Medvedeva and put her as a breakthrough pick here, but my goodness - the tano on every other jump is already bugging the hell out of me. And now it's all I see when she skates. It got very old very quickly for me.
:scowl:

I like her tano a lot - it suits her style nicely imo better than Sima's. Even if she stops to get extra credit for tano I do hope that she will keep doing it. To me tano is much nicer than rippon lutz that reminds me of stocky ballet dancers. Evgeniya's both programs are very beautiful and subtle. I would never call them boring. One thing though is her lutz. It was quite bad last season both the entrance and the edge. Hope she could do something about that. Then if she continues to be as stable as she was last season she can get close to 210 score. And there it depends whether others with higher scoring capacity are clean or not. Then she has the chance for senior podiums. The key is to get into the national team.

mrrice

Record Breaker

Holy Cow!!!! What's that music He's skating to? I know I've heard it before. Where did this guy come from? Great, first Misha Ge now this guy. I'll have to keep my eye on him. Secret Garden, that's the music. I think Kostner used this music, did she not? I was wrong. It was in fact, Irina Slutskaya. Beautiful piece of music.

Last edited:

gotoschool

Medalist
Ladies first!

Evgenia: at the test skate, she was the most technically solid but so. Freaking. Boring! Nothing there artistically. She'll have to rely on her jumps if she wants to get on any teams.

Karen: she's got nice programs and beautiful jumps and spins, but she also has a less fortunate talent for headcasing. She can be up there with the top 3 U.S. Ladies, but she usually isn't.

I disagree with the statement about Evgenia. She has been one of my favorites since last season and her interesting artistry and expression is what drew me to her performances. The more I watch her LP at the test skates the more I like it, and it is my favorite performance there. She is consistent, she has interesting and unusual choreography and interpretation that attempts to tell a story. I also like her tano jumps and think she has very good air position, and nice lines and extensions that are held for the right amount of time. I was really impressed with her twirling front end extension near the end of her freeskate. She could use a little more speed and better edges, but she is still very young and hopefully she can develop this over time. I consider her the most promising of the youngsters moving up.

I think a little bit more like you when it comes to Karen Chen. When she is on she is a pleasure to watch with good skating skills, nice jumps with beautiful delayed rotations and wonderful spins and her expression is engaging. But, she seems to often lose her jumps especially in longer programs which is a shame and this often causing the other elements to suffer. But, I think she has the second best potential.

Last edited:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
If Nam broke out last season, then Shoma did too. Second place at Japanese Nationals is about as tough a field as you can compete in, and that HUGE score in the short at 4CC's. I can see him winning Skate America. I think he doesn't know he can do it, which is exactly why he can. (Then we'll see how consistent he is after he knows).

I think Elizabet may be a fighter. Those two wins this summer both came from behind and in "unfriendly" territory. (So much harder to break out in another country). At one of the events, her music stopped shortly into her program. She had to stop & then continue. It's her first season, and it's hard to break out on the GP when you don't have a host spot in your own country. But I have a suspicion she will be medaling for Kazakhstan on the GP a whole lot earlier in her career than Denis did. Likely not this season, though she does have a shot at Skate Canada. To me, her skating is really special. It is the kind that can break through and get noticed. I do think she might get hammered on URs.

As for Mariah . . . she has a wonderful smile. And I know she's improved. But I can't ever get past how effectively she sank her Titanic program two years ago at Nationals. It was one of the most spectacular disasters I've ever seen. If she proves me wrong, I'll be happy. But not pinning any expectations here. Karen, OTOH, I see her having her moments. Not sure when they will come, but I expect they will eventually.

Last edited:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
As for Mariah . . . she has a wonderful smile. And I know she's improved. But I can't ever get passed how effectively she sank her Titanic program two years ago at Nationals. It was one of the most spectacular disasters I've ever seen. If she proves me wrong, I'll be happy. But not pinning any expectations here. Karen, OTOH, I see her having her moments. Not sure when they will come, but I expect they will eventually.

Yeppers. There was no iceberg that sank the Titanic, it was Mariah.... Horrible to watch, and you just want her to STAND UP and be good. I was in pain.

Barb

Record Breaker
I agree 100%.

Have read and listened to some of her interviews: very ambitious and tough cookie in that tiny body. She said once, she considers blaming poor form on puberty as excuse rather than a big problem, another time she made some fuzz, claiming all the flood of potential 3As is more a PR thing than a real threat. Liza's fans went after her on Russian internet for this... :laugh:
She has her own opinions and is not shy to express them publicly.

I really like her but this comment :rolleye:. She should overcome that phase first before speak.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
pretty impressed by Adian cause never been his fan. Totally diff skater! I'll be pulling for him & Evgenia this season.
Elizabet is the one to watch as well

& well Nam is the star! Jmo he has the presence on the ice already. Can't look away when he's performing.:love:

deedee1

Record Breaker
My humble vote goes to Liam Firus of Canada! :yes: though he may not be considered as a 'youngsters' i'm afraid.

During 2014-15 season, with his Moulin Rouge program and all of sudden, Liam jumped into my 'favorite-skaters-to-cheer-for' list. :) Before that season I wasn't so much impressed with his skating, tbh, just because anyone could tell who his idolized-skater was, you know. I didn't see how Liam would want to skate and express with his own skating, in another word not much of his personality on ice. Well, I do understand it often happens in any skating powerhouse countries; we now see a lot of Yuzu-like kid skaters in our country, and in Russia even today there are still many of Evgeni-like boys. As a long time skating fans I do love moments when I see young skaters suddenly find their own skating style, show up as completely different skaters from previous season, and make my eyes poppoed or even glued to them. :yes:

Good luck to Liam in the new season! :cheer:

noskates

Record Breaker
I've been saying since Nationals last year that Mariah Bell is the senior lady to watch this year. In addition to mad talent, she has an excellent team working with her.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think Evgenia will do well, primarily because of her mental toughness. I remember in an interview last season, the reporter asked her what had changed since the season before that was enabling her to have so much success. She spoke about her physical condition and training well, but essentially she was like "I was dealing with injuries and growth spurts the season before, but I don't see either as a good explanation for failing to reach goals, you have to persevere!" So I think this girl is prepared to deal with anything!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Medvedeva for sure. She will set the GP series on fire. There's always one young Russian breakout star and this season it's probably her. I hope Karen Chen has a great season too.

As for the guys, I'd say Jin... he won't win anything but he'll draw a lot of hype and notice for his quads. I do like Pitkeev and hope he has a good season too. Obviously Nathan Chen has had a strong breakout (Junior) season himself.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Just bumping this up to say my opinion from before has been reinforced.

Brian Orser agrees with you as well! :biggrin:
"She's as tough as nails," her coach, Brian Orser, said. "Our sessions are a little bit busy right now, so when there's a space at the end of the ice for a triple lutz, she may duke it out with Javi [Fernández] to get to it. Usually, she gets it."
Orser partially attributed his young charge's impressive performances in Salt Lake City to better navigation of practice sessions.
"I tell all the kids, rather than complain about busy sessions, they're a great tool (to prepare) for when you're at a competition, with six people all over each other in a warmup," he said. "You have to stay focused. You see somebody else coming round the corner, do your jump ... [Tursynbaeva] is taking more command of the ice."
Tursynbaeva's best practice buddy at the Cricket Club may be Nguyen, the 17-year-old Canadian champion.
"[Tursynbaeva] knew she was coming to Salt Lake City, and there was altitude, so she prepared for it with extra run-throughs," Orser said. "Nam is the same way; he does a lot of run-throughs. I don't have to tell either of them (to do run-throughs)."