Who Do You Think Will Have Breakout Season Among Youngsters? | Golden Skate

Who Do You Think Will Have Breakout Season Among Youngsters?

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
with all the threads about "A vs B" i thought it would be fun to discuss about youngsters , new comers and newly seniors and hopefully there will be less talk about under/over scoring etc(since they are relatively new to senior circuit) and more about their strong/weak points, potentials etc. looking at the skater's names we have so much talented young skaters!:cheer:

for the ladies we have Elizabet Tursynbaeva, Karen Chen, Evgenia Medvedeva, Yuka Nagai, Miyu Nakashio, Mariah Bell, Angelina Kuchvalska, Mariko Kihara.

for the men we have Nam Nguyen, Adian Pitkeev, Moris Kvitelashvili and newly seniors (exception of some senior B etc) Shoma Uno, Boyang Jin, Alexander Petrov, June Hyoung Lee

and there will probbably even more skaters from junior circuit for Europeans, 4CC and Worlds

what are their chances, who do you think will surprise us, rise to the challenge ?

Last edited:

lyndichee

Medalist
I am really looking forward to Elizabet Tursynbaeva, she looks very promising under Brian Orser's team.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I don't follow ladies too much, but I think Evgenia for sure. Elizabet, Karen, and Angelina have a lot of talent, but I feel like they might have a tougher time breaking through right away. Not sure about the others.

Men:

Adian - I think he's bound to have a much better season than the last one. It seems like everyone who saw him skate in Sochi was blown away by how much he has grown.

Nam - to me, he's already sort of broken through with a GP medal & national champ. title, top 5 at Worlds...we'll see if the momentum continues.

Moris - is already 20 years old and not very stable, although I think he has improved somewhat, if the test skates are any indication. I don't rate his prospects too high, but I see him as a more likeable version of Kovtun, so I hope he just makes some progress and is able to stick around awhile.

Shoma - will probably do ok, not 100% convinced that he is going to be consistent, though.

Alexander Petrov - who knows. Probably a similar season to Adian's last year. I read some comments on FSO from Russian fans who were in Sochi & the consensus seemed to be that he still seems very juniorish.

Boyang - even if his TES is crazy high and he lands everything, I think his PCS will still hold him back for awhile, but could be a surprise.

June - I'll put him in the Petrov category...who knows. I don't expect a breakthrough, not yet anyway.

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
i am most excited about Elizabet! she started her season with 2 summer competitions and won both of them beating 2 Canadian champions (i know it was still summer and Kaetlyn is coming back after injury but still), i hope she will keep up her momentum, she isnt always consistent but she has strong mentality and finally solving her wisa problems she must be training full time in Canada:cheer:

i think we all saw Karen's potential she isnt always consistent but she has a fire and shows personality, i hope she will finally keep it together

i also cant wait for Mariah!! and 3 of these ladies will compete against eachother 2 times at the beginning of the season at US Classic and SA!

Evgenia is the most consistent of them all, and mentally she seems very strong too, good spins and lots of tano :biggrin:

for men,
i was so surprised to see Adian's progress, maybe because we didnt see him longer than other skaters(since Europeans), he improved a lot but i dont know about his mentality and consistency

i agree that Nam already had great sason last year but this year seems to look tougher, i think mentally he is one of the strongest one and he showed amazing consistency, it probably wont be the case with adding quad to SP and 2nd quad to FP but i believe his competetiveness and strong will

i think Shoma is also very strong mentally and consistent with good spins and SS,

we have yet to see Boyang's programs, i am curious to see his progress, he will probably attempt the most ambitious layout but he needs to improve on other areas

Layback11

Record Breaker
Ladies first!

Evgenia: at the test skate, she was the most technically solid but so. Freaking. Boring! Nothing there artistically. She'll have to rely on her jumps if she wants to get on any teams.

Karen: she's got nice programs and beautiful jumps and spins, but she also has a less fortunate talent for headcasing. She can be up there with the top 3 U.S. Ladies, but she usually isn't.

Elizabet: I don't think I've ever seen her skate, but she's gotten good scores and has excellent coaches, so she could very well be up there. (Also: she is SO TINY!!! I have a feeling her growth spurt is going to be a real killer in a few years..)

Mariah: lovely programs. Artistically well-rounded and a joy to watch. Great jumps, and pretty consistent, but she NEEDS that 3-3 cleab to compete, and she hasn't done that yet.

And...out. :)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Evgenia: at the test skate, she was the most technically solid but so. Freaking. Boring! Nothing there artistically. She'll have to rely on her jumps if she wants to get on any teams.
)

I didn't think her programs were super exciting, but how can you possibly say she has "nothing there artistically"? Come on now. What is she missing here that would make her "artistic" to you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w1k6CCVAxs

shmay

On the Ice
I like Medvedeva's LP. It's subtle, and I think it has the potential to be kind of haunting. The spiral variation at the end is gorgeous.

That said, her skating skills are not yet up to par with her main domestic competitors, and I can see that holding her back a bit this year in terms of PCS. She's young, so obviously it will improve with time, but for now she'll have to capitalize on the jumping woes, taste/packaging issues, headcaseyness, and inadequate preparation from some of her compatriots in order to make the big teams

balladeno1

Rinkside
I am definitely on the watch for Elizabet and Karen(Go USA!). As well as the Japanese skaters Marin Honda, Mai M., and Kaori S. They participated in the JGP I believe and I am excited to see how they do this season.

For men's, I really am impressed with Adyan P. He really grabbed my attention at the RU Test Skates and am eager to see how he holds up. Shoma Uno also showed a lot of promise, but I haven't caught up on the videos. Lastly Boyang Jin and Nam Nguyen. I really support the skating in China and other Asian countries, and Boyang is really talented. Nam is technically on par, but I feel like some parts of his skating become underwhelming. He has good artistry, but unlike someone like Patrick C. or Yuzuru H., he doesn't have a commanding presence on the ice.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
for the men we have Nam Nguyen, Adian Pitkeev, Moris Kvitelashvili and newly seniors (exception of some senior B etc) Shoma Uno, Boyang Jin, Alexander Petrov, June Hyoung Lee

?

Didn't Nguyen broke through already? He medalled at GP and is seeded skater for this season plus top 5 at Worlds. What else do you need to break through? Sure he's still a bit far from top dogs Yuzu, Javi, Denis but he's already stamped his name among the contenders. Not an up and coming anymore.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
maybe he broke through with technical consistency but some of us are looking forward to see if he will breakthrough in style and presence on ice... i saw one of his summer LP skates on video... i think he is actually trying to become a more complete skater... and that is exciting
Didn't Nguyen broke through already? He medalled at GP and is seeded skater for this season plus top 5 at Worlds. What else do you need to break through? Sure he's still a bit far from top dogs Yuzu, Javi, Denis but he's already stamped his name among the contenders. Not an up and coming anymore.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Elizabet: I don't think I've ever seen her skate, but she's gotten good scores and has excellent coaches, so she could very well be up there. (Also: she is SO TINY!!! I have a feeling her growth spurt is going to be a real killer in a few years..)

you didnt? :shocked: well you should :biggrin: here is her SP and LP from junior worlds :love: and i kinda feel like (i hope rather) that puperty will go easy on her haha

maybe he broke through with technical consistency but some of us are looking forward to see if he will breakthrough in style and presence on ice... i saw one of his summer LP skates on video... i think he is actually trying to become a more complete skater... and that is exciting
yeah, thats why i included him even though he had great season, to discuss if he will be able to show more maturity and stay on top of other youngsters; he sure has consistency and likeability for it, i cant wait to see
we will see
Shoma vs Adian at SA
Nam vs Petrov vs Jun Hyoung and SC
Shoma vs Petrov at TEB
Nam vs Adian at COR
wow, surprisingly Boyang wont be against any youngster during GPS except Moris (not so youngster but still relatively new to GPS :biggrin:) at COC :laugh:

lyverbird1

Final Flight
I really want to like Medvedeva and put her as a breakthrough pick here, but my goodness - the tano on every other jump is already bugging the hell out of me. And now it's all I see when she skates. It got very old very quickly for me.
:scowl:

ioanna

Record Breaker
Shoma Uno has upgraded his base value both in the SP and in the FS. He's always been a consistent skater so if he manages to adjust to his new layouts, he'll be the one to watch in the men's field.

witcher

Match Penalty
I'm sure it'll be Medvedeva.
I agree 100%.

Have read and listened to some of her interviews: very ambitious and tough cookie in that tiny body. She said once, she considers blaming poor form on puberty as excuse rather than a big problem, another time she made some fuzz, claiming all the flood of potential 3As is more a PR thing than a real threat. Liza's fans went after her on Russian internet for this... :laugh:
She has her own opinions and is not shy to express them publicly.

Last edited:

NaVi

Medalist
for the ladies we have Elizabet Tursynbaeva, Karen Chen, Evgenia Medvedeva, Yuka Nagai, Miyu Nakashio, Mariah Bell, Angelina Kuchvalska, Mariko Kihara.

Medvedeva will do well... but maybe not as well as some expect... though I expect at least one Grand Prix medal.
Karen Chen will do better as a Sr than as a Jr where she was injured her 1st year and then the SP jump rules were stacked against her a bit in her 2nd year. But it may not be this year.
On Tursynbaeva... I think she's only had one standout event... if you look at her overall career relative to who she skated against in Russia, she really hasn't progressed relatively. I'm skeptical that she has the natural talent to ever make the senior grand prix final. Her unbalanced SP for this year doesn't work well IMO.
Mariah Bell... she only has one grand prix event and it's the most stacked grand prix event where she'll likely be skating in the first group. Her programs are decent but the jumps don't seem to be all that stable. She also older than Sotnikova(and Tukt, Pogo, Lip, Radio, Med) and so if she does have a breakout season it's quite a condemnation of the whole US system of developing talent.
Kuchvalska... may be fun to watch but not a top competitor.
The japanese girls... need a 3A or a quad(Nakashio)