Need Help With Jewelry | Golden Skate

Need Help With Jewelry

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have some silver jewelry that is in bad need of cleaning. I tried the jewelry cloths but there is so much oxidation that the cloth isn't cleaning it very well.

I look on the internet for some ideas and some sites said use this product and when I would go to another site, it would say NEVER use that product. Right now I am so confused.:confused:

Do you have any favorite cleaning ideas? Please share.

Dee

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Since I have been in the business for 29 years, maybe I can help. Do NOT use the dip it. I find that either the paste silver polish you use for silverware (Wright's) works well and mostly I use Haverty's spray. It smells like a skunk but works well. You can even try toothpaste and an old toothbrush. Of course the best thing is to put it in the rock tumbler with lead shot and cleaning liquid. I have my doubts anyone reading this has a tumbler. :laugh: I think I have three.

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Grgranny, where can you buy Haverty's spray? I've never heard of it before.

Dee

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I haven't tried for years but think I got it at Walmart. Will see what I can find out. I know Sheplers had it at one time. I think a lot of western stores might have it. Will try to check it out.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Couldn't find their website but found a nancysilver & silversnob. It's the blue spray can. Also, we used one of those ultrasonic jewelry machines. I think we used liquid dish soap. Don't put malachite, azurite, coral or opals in one. Any soft stone. Malachite and azurite are the same stone. The malachite just has been buried longer. It's blue and then turns green. That's why you see azurite-malachite often. Azurite is much prettier to me but I don't really like green. Turquoise is usually ok. Most of it has been treated to make it harder and the turquoise that hasn't been treated is already hard enough. Which makes me think of black onyx. It's a dyed agate. Don't know why they call it onyx as it is not onyx. Real onyx is too soft to use in jewelry. Also reminds me that people pronounce jewelry wrong. Really aggravating. It's not joolery. joowulry! :laugh:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Grgranny, I have a rock tumbler in the attic. It is in a huge box of "Things The Nieces Had To Have But Lost Interest In Way Too Soon". This includes clogging shoes, ballet shoes, tap shoes, jazz shoes, batons, metal detectors, microscopes, tennis rackets, bowling ball, a putting green, camera, how to speak French tapes, crimping iron, spiral curlers, you get the idea. I have NO idea who spoiled these girls and bought all of this stuff.:eek: :D :eek: :D :D

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Kateri, I had forgotten about this. It won't get rid of the worst but it does work. Also, you could just use an old toothbrush and baking soda too. I would be careful what kind of stones I put in it also.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I've had good luck with Wright's Silver Cream and it's amazingly effortless. If the stuff is really gunked up, just leave it on a long time.