Olympics: Skating for 2 different countries | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Olympics: Skating for 2 different countries

viennese

Rinkside
"The exception is Serbian skater Trifun Živanović. But, although he competed for the same country under 3 different names (Yugoslavia, Serbia & Montenegro, and Serbia) during his career, he only competed at the Olympics once (2006, for Serbia & Montenegro)."

And Trifun Zivanovic is an American-born skater who won medals in the late 90s at the U.S. senior level. He represented the U.S. at the World Championships and 4 Continents Championships. I think it was his father who was Serbian, which allowed him to represent those countries. I remember reading that he had to establish residency there - but there was no skating rink in his new country. He had to do all off-ice training for 12 months.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
"The exception is Serbian skater Trifun Živanović. But, although he competed for the same country under 3 different names (Yugoslavia, Serbia & Montenegro, and Serbia) during his career, he only competed at the Olympics once (2006, for Serbia & Montenegro)."

And Trifun Zivanovic is an American-born skater who won medals in the late 90s at the U.S. senior level. He represented the U.S. at the World Championships and 4 Continents Championships. I think it was his father who was Serbian, which allowed him to represent those countries. I remember reading that he had to establish residency there - but there was no skating rink in his new country. He had to do all off-ice training for 12 months.

Ah! Now that you have told that story, I remember somebody talking about him on here about a year ago. But they couldn't remember his name. So, curiosity got the better of me and I went hunting through the archives and found out his name. And I got great congratulations!

So, it is highly ironic that when I come across the name again last week, it didn't ring any bells! :palmf:

Thank you for reminding us of Trifun's background, and for showing me how bad my memory is (as if I needed to be shown)! :eek:: :slink:

CaroLiza_fan

gkelly

Record Breaker
Yes, Zivanovic is one of the select few I mentioned earlier who have competed at both Europeans and Four Continents.

princessalica

Final Flight
Not that he's qualified for the Olympics but Time Koleto of the US has tried multiple international pairs matches.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Not that he's qualified for the Olympics but Time Koleto of the US has tried multiple international pairs matches.

I think you meant to say that Tim Koleto is an ice dancer (as opposed to a pairs skater).

Don't know whether Denis Margalik has been mentioned in this thread.
(Not an Olympian, but skated for Canada before Argentina.)

Daniel Gamelin and his twin sister were U.S. ice dancers.
[ETA, correction: his name is Alexander Gamelin. His sister's name is Danielle.]​
He now competes in ice dance for Korea - with Yura Min, if I am not mistaken.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Kirill Minov skated for Russia prior to competing in ice dance for Korea with Rebeka Kim.
And then there is Alexei Tikhonov, who competed for Russia in junior pairs with Irina Saifutdinova, then for Japan with Yukiko Kawasaki, then Russia again with Maria Petrova, with whom he won the World Championsips in 2000, and placed 5th in one Olympics and sixth in another.

Last edited:

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Kirill Minov skated for Russia prior to competing in ice dance for Korea with Yura Min.

And then there is Alexei Tikhonov, who competed for Russia in junior pairs with Irina Saifutdinova, then for Japan with Yukiko Kawasaki, then Russia again with Maria Petrova, with whom he won the World Championsips in 2000, and placed 5th in one Olympics and sixth in another.

Rebeka Kim.

Yura is Koleto's old partner who now skates with Gamelin. :)

edwinaskater1943

On the Ice
David Kranjek who recently skated at Europeans for Slovenia also went to Four Continents representing Australia. I believe he is still based in Australa with his coaches. He was born in Slovenia and then immigrated but has switched back for some reason, probably due to politics

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Another example I discovered!

Igor Pashkevich skated in Lillehammer for Russia and then for Azerbaijan in Nagano.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
David Kranjek who recently skated at Europeans for Slovenia also went to Four Continents representing Australia. I believe he is still based in Australa with his coaches. He was born in Slovenia and then immigrated but has switched back for some reason, probably due to politics

The reason wasn't so much politics.

The reason David Kranjec switched back to Slovenia was Brendan Kerry.

David realised that Brendan was going to be too much competition for him to regularly get international slots, so he switched back to his homeland, where there is no competition.

By the way, please don't think I am picking on you in particular, because I have noticed a few people make this mistake recently. But I am just using your comment as an opportunity to point it out.

You have got emigration and immigration mixed up in your sentence.

Emigration is when somebody leaves a country.
Immigration is when somebody enters a country.

So, what I think you are trying to say is that David "was born in Slovenia and then emigrated".

CaroLiza_fan

edwinaskater1943

On the Ice
The reason wasn't so much politics.

The reason David Kranjec switched back to Slovenia was Brendan Kerry.

David realised that Brendan was going to be too much competition for him to regularly get international slots, so he switched back to his homeland, where there is no competition.

By the way, please don't think I am picking on you in particular, because I have noticed a few people make this mistake recently. But I am just using your comment as an opportunity to point it out.

You have got emigration and immigration mixed up in your sentence.

Emigration is when somebody leaves a country.
Immigration is when somebody enters a country.

So, what I think you are trying to say is that David "was born in Slovenia and then emigrated".

CaroLiza_fan

You may be right - he is now nowhere near Brendan's league. Hope he does well as has tonnes of potential. Sadly with these coaches I'm not sure we will ever see the best of him.