Nam coaching change | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Nam coaching change

mrrice

Record Breaker
why would it be awkward ? some human beings know how to make sure that they remain professional in such circumstances.
I think Kathy Johnson is a real coach... Under her, Patrick has performed his best program ever, at 4CC with higher technical content than he had ever tried. I think the facts are there to show they are working well together and that Patrick is happy. That's the number 1 thing when finding a training environment : it has to be one that makes the athlete happy... For Patrick, it is training with a coach who is available to him, kind, supportive and able to refine his movements on the ice. He is improving every year.

I hope Nam will be happy too with his new environment. I said this on his fan fest, all I wish for him is that if things don't work out, is that he doesn't get too proud, admits it's not working out, and makes the move somewhere else. Sometimes, one needs a change, but it doesn't always is better in the new environment...

Who is this "Tess" person?? Why I haven't I heard about this.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Wait Patrick and Tess are no longer a couple and he still works with Kathy? Wow, that must be awkward :hopelessness:. All the more reason for him to get a real coach :laugh:

Patrick kept Kathy as his coach throughout his sabbatical with frequent contacts and Kathy has helped him through the tumultuous times in his journey back. Patrick has expressed his respect and total trust in her and the two seem to be very close. This is a different model of coach/student relationship from Orser's. Instead of the hottest coach with a full stable of skaters, Patrick sticks with one who is devoted to him and with whom he can be close and open, even dumping mental trash on her at his most vulnerable moments so he could clear his head and focus on the performance. Kathy has helped him develop technically and artistically. Their success over the last several years is enviable even if you call it awkward and her not a real coach.

Likewise, I hope Nam and his family choose what suits him and nurtures his talents best regardless of chatters and criticisms from those in no position to decide for them.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
REALLY!!!!! Ohhhhh. Wow, now I really can't believe I didn't know about this. Did this become a big a deal in Canada? Which came first? Did they date before or after he went to Kathy??

As I said in the earlier post, Johnson has been Patrick's coach before and after his relationship with her daughter. This was, and seemingly still is, a big deal only for those glee with another opportunity to disparage Patrick as well as Johnson, who was a successful dancer, dance instructor and figure skating consultant for many top skaters. They met when she was part of Krall's coaching team. He met her daughter after she had been his coach. The ongoing snickers that Patrick chose his girlfriend's unqualified mother as his coach and the prediction that it would be awkward if the romantic relationship ended are all proven untrue but apparently facts do not stop the perpetuation of disparaging.

mrrice

Record Breaker
If she was his coach before and after, I don't see what the big deal is. I'm certainly not proud of some of my former dates.

JackRoast

Rinkside
Nam is changing his coach???? Does he really need to???? Time will show if he actually needs it. Going to David Glynn is an interesting choice, but I believe David has been coaching Polina Edmunds since she was four years old, it gives David huge respect for having made one of the strongest Ladies Skater in the world. Not many coaches take little toddlers and raised them into Olympians. Polina's technique is flawless. He teaches very good basic technique which is what I think will help Nam pass his challenges with his growth spurt and return him to his talented self. I feel like Polina and Nam have a great opportunity to have an elite training companion that will challenge each other to train harder and go above and beyond. David needs to be responsible for not only one talent, but two.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
that's a very nice and refreshing post . thank you .
Nam is changing his coach???? Does he really need to???? Time will show if he actually needs it. Going to David Glynn is an interesting choice, but I believe David has been coaching Polina Edmunds since she was four years old, it gives David huge respect for having made one of the strongest Ladies Skater in the world. Not many coaches take little toddlers and raised them into Olympians. Polina's technique is flawless. He teaches very good basic technique which is what I think will help Nam pass his challenges with his growth spurt and return him to his talented self. I feel like Polina and Nam have a great opportunity to have an elite training companion that will challenge each other to train harder and go above and beyond. David needs to be responsible for not only one talent, but two.

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Last season Nam was a shining star for whom I had very high expectations, but this year his unusual growth spurt is really hindering him from moving upward. Is it possible for him to skate for the US in the future, taking all things into consideration?

Rissa

Record Breaker
Last season Nam was a shining star for whom I had very high expectations, but this year his unusual growth spurt is really hindering him from moving upward. Is it possible for him to skate for the US in the future, taking all things into consideration?

He's still better off representing Canada. Patrick won't be there forever, there's less internal competition.

Amei

Record Breaker

Don't know if I would call Polina one of the strongest skaters, in 2 seasons as a senior she only has 1 podium finish internationally at 4CC last year.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
There has to be more to this story than a romance between two teenagers. Maybe things are different now but, when I was 17 years old I was touring and making what was considered a decent amount of money. However, My Father never let me forget that if I ever got out of line he would pull me off the road and put me in Military School until I turned 18. Clearly their Parents must approve or I doubt that Nam's new coach would agree to take him.

Is this change considered to be a good thing for Nam's career? If so, then I say, more power to him.

Yep. I was threatened with military school (Marine Military Academy in Harlingen, TX) all the time. My parents were totally floored when I fell in love at 16 and decided to stay in TX for college, when 'the plan' was always Princeton or Cornell. I'll give Nam a pass, you're only young and in love once, so let him enjoy it. And maybe his skating will improve with the inspiration, since at this point his skating does absolutely nothing for me. It will be a good change.

moriel

Record Breaker

I would disagree both about Polina being among the strongest - while she may be USA #3, she cannot compete with the top ladies.
Also, her technique is far from flawless (example: edge calls on jumps).
Last but not least, her packaging and programs were consistently not top level the last two seasons.

Also, young people and young people in love tend to not be the most organized and responsible with their duties, and someone wrote here Nam's father was pretty involved in his skating career. I worry that Nam may end up neglecting the skating for other stuff, with no family to look over him.

Ok, lemme stop ranting... I rather be a pessimist here and let Nam surprise me next season than expect him to beat Javi and Yuzu and not see it happen.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I would disagree both about Polina being among the strongest - while she may be USA #3, she cannot compete with the top ladies.
Also, her technique is far from flawless (example: edge calls on jumps).
Last but not least, her packaging and programs were consistently not top level the last two seasons.

Also, young people and young people in love tend to not be the most organized and responsible with their duties, and someone wrote here Nam's father was pretty involved in his skating career. I worry that Nam may end up neglecting the skating for other stuff, with no family to look over him.

Ok, lemme stop ranting... I rather be a pessimist here and let Nam surprise me next season than expect him to beat Javi and Yuzu and not see it happen.
Polina finished in the top ten in every major international competition she entered and won 4CC last season. To me that's good enough to consider her to be among the strongest skaters, but we all have different standards. It's true that she had problems with her flip last season but she was able to fix it. She's a strong technician and the credit for that has to go to David Glynn. So I think that Nam could do worse. And Glynn will have a top level male skater to proof himself.

moriel

Record Breaker
Polina finished in the top ten in every major international competition she entered and won 4CC last season. To me that's good enough to consider her to be among the strongest skaters, but we all have different standards. It's true that she had problems with her flip last season but she was able to fix it. She's a strong technician and the credit for that has to go to David Glynn. So I think that Nam could do worse. And Glynn will have a top level male skater to proof himself.

As i said, i prefer to be a pessimist and have a nice surprise hehe =)
At any rate, i do feel that the combo Nam and Orser was not working out well, so who knows.

And i kinda understand why one would move away from Javi and Yuzu - for example, i myself tend to rather give up when there are people doing stuff much better than me around "i´m never going to be THAT good". Dunno if thats the case, but could be too

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Am I the only one who thinks it should be "the" prom? It's a noun; it needs an article. I mean you don't say, I'm going to birthday party.

Ok, it's a pet peeve of mine, I admit it. :slink:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I don't think Brian was working for Nam in any case, so I don't think the move will end up being worse for him, and hopefully it will work out to be better. Nam's programs this season were not good and he clearly needs to work on pretty much everything. Brian is a fantastic coach, but he is spread too thin & no coach can work miracles for every skater. And while it's good to have a sparring partner in a team, Javi & Yuzuru provide that to each other & I'm sure it was frustrating for Nam to be reminded every day of how far behind he is. Having 2 top level rivals in a team is enough.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wondered about Orser's suitability as a coach for Nam when Brian gave Nam the Bach piece for a FS this season. That music might have been fine for training mates Chan and Fernandez, but it obviously was far beyond Nam's capabilities and it seemed Brian was setting the bar much too high. As the season went on, you could see Nam's confidence unravel as he struggled with the Bach piece, and eventually his continuing growth spurt completely wiped out his confidence and along with it his joy of skating.

Khoai

Match Penalty
He is too tall now. His technique is too bad to be a successful single skater in my opinion. Maybe he should hit the gym and switch to pair. But I don't remember Skate Canada having any good pair girl right now.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I wondered about Orser's suitability as a coach for Nam when Brian gave Nam the Bach piece for a FS this season. That music might have been fine for training mates Chan and Fernandez, but it obviously was far beyond Nam's capabilities and it seemed Brian was setting the bar much too high. As the season went on, you could see Nam's confidence unravel as he struggled with the Bach piece, and eventually his continuing growth spurt completely wiped out his confidence and along with it his joy of skating.

Chan is not Nam's training mate nor Orser's skater :) i know you like patrick a lot but you don't need to bring him up in this thread :)