How good is Ilya Averbukh? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

How good is Ilya Averbukh?

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
What then will become of Plushy's nutcracker show?
Noooooo :(
Among all the possibilities for new project, why Averbukh had to choose the same 'nutcracker'?
I mean, he never lack material for ice show
Is this a kind of power struggle?

The same 'Nutcracker' is very common for any Russian dance or show company. There are tons of those in different interpretations and catered to different tastes. Everyone would find their clientele. Not to worry. Copycating the Nutcracker is like copycating let's say a bicycle. Meaning the concept already exists and is available for interpretation for any creative approach. :)

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
No different than every ballet company in the world doing Nutcracker doing the holiday season. And they're not even the first skaters to produce a Nutcracker show. Tchernyshev produced one last year. This is business and Averbukh is no better or worse than Rudkovskaya. They both are aggressive, shameless self-promoters. They both have their core group of stars. They both give employment to a lot of skaters who were nowhere close to achieving what Plushenko or Yagudin achieved (Andrei Kosytsin for example). I doubt Rudkovskaya is any less ruthless than Averbukh.

Ruthless? I'm sure Yana is not ruthless. Averbukh? I don't know.. I would use this word: unfair.. You ignore the dates when they announced the premier of the shows. I'm sure they follow each other, Iliya had to know Plushy's plan. You don't get me wrong Iliya has right to make new show anytime and anywhere. But is it precisely the Nutcracker?????....hmmmmm. I don't believe that you don't understand what is the problem with it.
In last November, December Iliya's Carmen and even Lambiel's Parfume iceshows were also held in Moscow. Those shows had own viewers... But if Iliya wants to compete with Yana's show.....he has to be renewed and lots of money to put into it.

The Snow King's budget was $ 4 million.. probably you have seen some parts of that SUPER SHOW. Thousand of videos are on Youtube. But if you miss it : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8aICnWCyOo

Iliya's Carmen: for ex https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwjxWbqW2hk I found really good part

What then will become of Plushy's nutcracker show?
Noooooo :(
Among all the possibilities for new project, why Averbukh had to choose the same 'nutcracker'?
I mean, he never lack material for ice show
Is this a kind of power struggle?

Good questions.. I can't answer

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
the whole post

Oh, I understand. But they are the biggest ice shows owners. And they will product same shows in same time and in same citiy. Good.:biggrin: I just hope Yana and Plushy will change their plan.

Last edited:

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Oh, I understand. But they are the biggest ice shows owners. And they will product same show in same time and in same citiy. Good.:biggrin: I just hope Yana and Plushy will change their plan.

Nutcracker is an old world-renown and one of the most beloved Russian concept which was based on old European winter holiday traditions. No one holds monopoly rights on it. It's like claiming rights on electricity or on laws of Earth gravitation. Nutcracker is a big money-maker - there would be plenty fish in the sea for both ice shows. It's actually good to have 2 big shows to fight for audience. It gives us cheaper tickets prices and more quality of a show, hopefully along with more creative conceptual approach for interpretation of Nutcracker. There is too much of those already, it's hard to amaze public with something new about it. Well, both ice companies have to come with something really good. It's a good thing to have competition. I like them equally. Let them both be. The rest is just an entertainment tabloid-like reality show for us: both companies harass and troll each other equally. Have some :popcorn: ready.

Last edited:

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
Ruthless? I'm sure Yana is not ruthless. Averbukh? I don't know.. I would use this word: incorrect.. You ignore the dates when they announced the premier of the shows. I'm sure they follow each other, Iliya had to know Plushy's plan. You don't get me wrong Iliya has right to make new show anytime and anywhere. But is it precisely the Nutcracker?????....hmmmmm. I don't believe you don't understand what is the problem with it.
In last November, December Iliya's Carmen and even Lambiel's Parfume iceshows were also held in Moscow. Those shows had own viewers... But if Iliya wants to compete with Yana's show.....he has to be renewed and lots of money to put into it.

Good questions.. I can't answer

It doesn't mean it hasn't been in the works already. If you notice, Averbukh's announcement has more details. Like a cast If you are involved in event production, you know that planning for these takes a long time and some people won't begin even discussing something until they have certain logistics in place. Like securing a venue and deciding whether Totmianina and Marinin or Navka and Kostomarov will be the leads. These take time. I know the people who used to do the marketing for a Stars on Ice (they were drinking buddies of mine) and the planning for the next tour began right as the current tour was going on. It took them three months just to finalize the poster.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Nutcracker is an old world-renown and one of the most beloved Russian concept which was based on old European winter holiday traditions. No one holds monopoly rights on it. It's like claiming rights on electricity or on laws of Earth gravitation. Nutcracker is a big money-maker - there would be plenty fish in the sea for both ice shows. It's actually good to have 2 big shows to fight for audience. It gives us cheaper tickets prices and more quality of a show, hopefully along with more creative conceptual approach for interpretation of Nutcracker. There is too much of those already, it's hard to amaze public with something new about it. Well, both ice companies have to come with something really good. It's a good thing to have competition. I like them equally. Let them both be. The rest is just an entertainment tabloid-like reality show for us: both companies harass and troll each other equally. Have some :popcorn: ready.

As I said I hope Plushy and Yana will change their plan. That will be elegant.

"The rest is just an entertainment tabloid-like reality show for us: both companies harass and troll each other equally. Have some :popcorn: ready."

The highlighted words of your post are untruth. You can't tell a case when Plushy's company harass, troll or attacked the other company at first. They just answered. That isn't equal. If you know such case show me, please.
Plushy always praised Yagudin as his biggest rival who helped him to be better skater. You can't tell this about Yagudin. He has been always envious of Plushenko's fame, popularity and money. I'm bored many North-Americans think Yagudin is a great, emotional, nice man. He isn't. I could destroy Yagudin's image if I show you what he said about the Americans in a Russian magazine when he moved back to Russia. Despite the Americans really loved him.

It doesn't mean it hasn't been in the works already. If you notice, Averbukh's announcement has more details. Like a cast If you are involved in event production, you know that planning for these takes a long time and some people won't begin even discussing something until they have certain logistics in place. Like securing a venue and deciding whether Totmianina and Marinin or Navka and Kostomarov will be the leads. These take time. I know the people who used to do the marketing for a Stars on Ice (they were drinking buddies of mine) and the planning for the next tour began right as the current tour was going on. It took them three months just to finalize the poster.

LOL! Do you want to know the cast of Plushy's show? Irina Slutskaya, Johnny Weir, Tomas Verner, Brian Joubert, probably Florant Amodio, and many other Russian skaters, Ukrainian, American ice acrobats, etc.

Look at how great they are together! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNMsyOA0EtA Brian, Plushy, Tomas, Gerboldt ..adorable video!

Maybe Averbukh's action is fair in your book, but not in maine.

Last edited:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I also think it's certainly not nice to use exactly the same material for an ice show. But the audience and critics can compare who's doing it better after all. So the question is - who's doing the first show? The good thing is that the audience will not tire of the Nutcracker and I guess they will use different approaches. I expect Plushenko's to be over the top (in a good way of course ;)). And with Irina, Johnny, Tomas and Brian the cast is irresistible (to me).
It's great that ice shows are still huge in Russia!

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I think the rivalry between the big show hosts can bring out more attention from the public, so the Nutcracker battle is not all bad in terms of promotion. Some of the audience who possibly would attend Plushenko's could also go to Averbuch's and vice versa out of curiosity. I have done so on many occasions for classical music performances. We saw how the Battle of the Carmens in figure skating excited fans. Besides, if Plushenko gives up his plan on Nutcracker, he may be seen already as defeated by Averbuch before the real war starts. I don't think Averbuch's choreographic works that special enough to be hyped, but I can see how smart he is when it comes to business.

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
But the audience and critics can compare who's doing it better after all. So the question is - who's doing the first show? The good thing is that the audience will not tire of the Nutcracker and I guess they will use different approaches. I expect Plushenko's to be over the top (in a good way of course ;)). And with Irina, Johnny, Tomas and Brian the cast is irresistible (to me).

It seems it is too late to change the plan. Nutcracker https://www.instagram.com/p/BEwGIDEGyx9/ Well, something like this, my friends! As promised back in December, we cook something incredible with my team! # Nutcracker #nutcracker 23 December -30 December-Moscow Sport-complex "Olympic", c January 2 -7 January -Sankt -Peterbug Ice Palace!

The problem is probably both shows will be very expensive so the ticket can't be cheap. I'm not sure the audience can buy tickets for both shows. You don't forget Russia is in crises.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
It seems it is too late to change the plan. Nutcracker https://www.instagram.com/p/BEwGIDEGyx9/ Well, something like this, my friends! As promised back in December, we cook something incredible with my team! # Nutcracker #nutcracker 23 December -30 December-Moscow Sport-complex "Olympic", c January 2 -7 January -Sankt -Peterbug Ice Palace!

The problem is probably both shows will be very expensive so the ticket can't be cheap. I'm not sure the audience can buy tickets for both shows. You don't forget Russia is in crises.
Love that poster!
Hmm, that's too bad. Anyway, if I had to choose I'd watch Plushenko's. ;)

whitebamboo

On the Ice

Actually, it should be "as promised back in January", if I remember correctly :) But this new announcement has a bit of "detail", I'd say.

Adding a few words, if I may....Assertions along the lines of "oh they both do just the same" tend to be made a lot, but whether they are true or false depends on facts of the specific case. In the specific case of the announced shows, the fact is that one side made the announcement several months earlier than the other side did, for what it is worth. Not that it matters much--as people said, there are lots of performances of the Nutcracker in December/January every year.

But when it comes to the matter of Sochi, I'm sorry, I just don't see how one can conclude any kind of equivalence or even similarity between Yagudin's words and Plushenko's. (As a fan, maybe it is also a little difficult for me to see what he went through at that time being made light of.) And I know I am biased, but having read pretty much almost everything Plushenko said back then, I would have to say he was quite restrained, given the situation. Certainly much more so than I myself would have been capable of, had I been in that position.

As for the question of ticket prices and competition, I don't know if the fact that the two shows will be both Nutcracker will actually be such a big factor. For people who can afford only one ice show in holidays this year, that won't change even if the shows are of different stories. The two shows will be competing regardless.