2016-17 State of Japanese Men's Skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2016-17 State of Japanese Men's Skating

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION šŸ”„
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What about the diagonal fringe?

I can live with the fringe, but if he really wanted to do the true flamenco thing, I think of the women's costumes as being elaborate and the men's are more typically simple. At least that has been my experience in the performances I have seen. But then, Taka will be Taka! :drama:

www.seechicagodance.com/event/duende-flamenco (man's costume hard to see but is very sleek and simple)

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I can live with the fringe, but if he really wanted to do the true flamenco thing, I think of the women's costumes as being elaborate and the men's are more typically simple. At least that has been my experience in the performances I have seen. But then, Taka will be Taka! :drama:

www.seechicagodance.com/event/duende-flamenco (man's costume hard to see but is very sleek and simple)

Mura has the body to do a low cut v-neck on a simple black satin shirt.:biggrin: --Maybe a few sequins. Simple and eye-catching on white ice.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mura has the body to do a low cut v-neck on a simple black satin shirt.:biggrin: --Maybe a few sequins. Simple and eye-catching on white ice.

The dreaded "deep V". But the simplicity might be good. I'd be curious to know if Massimo suggested the costume, or exactly how does that work. Oh well! What can we do? :laugh:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shoma's FS tango has come a long way since its June 2 debut in Sapporo. Bravo Shoma for your hard work on an extremely difficult program. Personally, I don't care for vocals - but in his Osaka performance, I found his movements captured my full attention and the music really became more subtle for me. There are a few movements I don't like. I have never liked touching the face or hair -- well, I'll leave that alone. This is still a work in progress, and I have faith that Shoma and his team will have it in shape by Skate America so I can cheer like a maniac for him.:clap::hap10: I think his work with Stephane has added a lot to the overall quality of the program.

Next time (?) he is going to do a tango, I wish they would consult me :)rofl:) before they pick the music. I think of other tangos that would be a much better vehicle for Shoma. I really can close my eyes and see him skating to La Cumparsita. At 2:43 I see him flying down the rink with an amazing step sequence and awesome upper body movement. And, just as important, the music is so infectious that the audience would be wildly clapping in time to the music. This would be so great to have the audience engaged and an encouragement to him if he is beginning to tire towards the end of the program. https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=CbKKLOc3YsY (2:43 especially--don't pay attention to the dancing):noshake:

And one word for the costume -- WOW! I thought it was nice until I saw it up close and then realized that the detail is gorgeous. It's beautiful! Great color for him with his beautiful black hair. www.shomatheshowman.tumblr.com/image/148292646152

Ganbatte Shoma! :luv17: ETA -- forgot to mention I love that he added arms to the cantilever. Awesome!

Last edited:

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
I will be the cheese that stands alone and say that I like Shoma's music. :slink: I mean, it isn't what I'd listen to for fun, but I think it makes for a memorable and distinctive performance. However, he does need to up the intensity in the 2nd half to match the voice. Still, the programme is still new and he has a formidable layout to get right (under show lights and in a smaller rink!) so kudos to him for the immeasurably better showing already of this FS.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I will be the cheese that stands alone and say that I like Shoma's music. :slink: I mean, it isn't what I'd listen to for fun, but I think it makes for a memorable and distinctive performance. However, he does need to up the intensity in the 2nd half to match the voice. Still, the programme is still new and he has a formidable layout to get right (under show lights and in a smaller rink!) so kudos to him for the immeasurably better showing already of this FS.

You are not alone, TheGrandSophy! True Piazzolla, certainly not easy listening, but a real challenge for both Shoma and the audience.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Don't get me wrong, I do like the music. I guess there are just other tangos I like better. Piazzolla is amazing, and I do like different music. The small rink scares me, as does the poor lighting that was pointed out by another GS'er...Just curious - what do you think of the costume? I love the shirt and the pants, but someone pointed out to me that if he wore the same color on the top and bottom, it would give him a taller appearance. I don't know though - he may be small, but he skates big!

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Don't get me wrong, I do like the music. I guess there are just other tangos I like better. Piazzolla is amazing, and I do like different music. The small rink scares me, as does the poor lighting that was pointed out by another GS'er...Just curious - what do you think of the costume? I love the shirt and the pants, but someone pointed out to me that if he wore the same color on the top and bottom, it would give him a taller appearance. I don't know though - he may be small, but he skates big!

Agree about the costume. Red+black is often associated with tango, but all black would be just as good, maybe with a few sparkles to break it up. He is just way too young to be dancing tango, of course...:laugh:. But I like the way he's managed to avoid the stereotypical, slinky sexiness usually associated with tango, which isn't really him yet (I'm sure it will come with maturity!). Go Shoma!

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Agree about the costume. Red+black is often associated with tango, but all black would be just as good, maybe with a few sparkles to break it up. He is just way too young to be dancing tango, of course...:laugh:. But I like the way he's managed to avoid the stereotypical, slinky sexiness usually associated with tango, which isn't really him yet (I'm sure it will come with maturity!). Go Shoma!

I guess the all one color makes sense, now that I think of it. Come to think of it, last year he always seemed taller to me in his SP than in his FS with the leprechaun costume where there was a different color top and bottom. Hopefully Shoma doesn't know what the words to the song mean, or he might be too embarrassed. Overall though, I think he's doing an amazing job with what must have seemed SO difficult when he first started. And besides all this, he's preparing the totally different style SP, which I understand he'll debut at the end of August.

Last edited:

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Don't get me wrong, I do like the music. I guess there are just other tangos I like better. Piazzolla is amazing, and I do like different music. The small rink scares me, as does the poor lighting that was pointed out by another GS'er...Just curious - what do you think of the costume? I love the shirt and the pants, but someone pointed out to me that if he wore the same color on the top and bottom, it would give him a taller appearance. I don't know though - he may be small, but he skates big![/QUOTE

There are many, many tangos that I like better...but it makes a welcome change from Libertango, Adios Nonino, and Estaciones Portenas (4 seasons of Buenos Aires)!

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gallo Ciego youtube.com/watch?v=MfFcNpukAVQ and Quejas de Bandoneon youtube.com/watch?v=0TTcAz8KYGs for me. And (true confessions) I do love Por Una Cabeza.[/QUOTA

Quejas is one of my faves, too. Perhaps one of my all-time faves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqwXC1CnT2M

Such cool bandoneon-playing...

Sorry completely OT, maybe we should get back on track.

:hijacked::eek:topic: Wow -- love No Mientas. But we're sorta kinda on topic, since more people will be skating to tangos in the future. We're giving them good suggestions! Anything with wild bandoneones at the end is good! :)

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There are some really interesting bits of footwork and choreo in this program and if Keiji can engage just a little bit more with his face during the brass band cuts, it could be a really good program for him. His dance ability has improved a lot.

I thoroughly enjoyed his Asian Open skate of Fellini and thought he did well considering how restrictive the smaller rinks are. I am assuming this choreo was by Massimo Scali, although I know Kenji has done choreo for him too. Normally I don't care for suspenders too much, but I thought in this program they worked! And a big plus -- he was able to see out from underneath that hair! :luv17: He still has work to do, but so far so good! Look forward to seeing how he does at the US Classic International.

Last edited:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
According to the commentary for Dreams on Ice 2016 broadcasted by Fuji-TV in July, the title of Keijiā€™s free program is ā€œFellini medley.ā€ So the music was probably taken from some Fellini movies.

Thx for that info. Did they happen to mention who did the choreo? I was assuming Massimo Scali, but I don't really know. Maybe Kenji?

sweetwater

On the Ice
Thx for that info. Did they happen to mention who did the choreo? I was assuming Massimo Scali, but I don't really know. Maybe Kenji?

Your guess is right. Keiji said in an interview that both of his programs for this year were choreographed by Massimo Scali.:)