Battle with concussions ends Farris' career | Golden Skate

Battle with concussions ends Farris' career

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you @Tavi for bringing this article to our attention.

So proud of Josh for being so honest and upfront about his struggles. I know it can't be easy for a private person like Josh. And also for being smart and brave enough to put his health first.

So glad we got to see Josh skate (that 4CC LP, I will watch it forever) and sad for us that his competitive career is done. I've said it in other threads; best to Josh! Let's hope he can choreo some great programs for future stars!:clap:

ozmodiar

On the Ice
Josh has had such unbelievably bad luck the last few years with his injuries/health. And even in his best senior season, he zayaked himself out the the national championship.

Wishing him all the best. I hope he still gets opportunities to perform. He such a beautiful skater!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I think Nick did a wonderful job of telling Josh's story. What a tough time for Josh.

musicfan80

Medalist
I'm still feeling gutted about this. I have worried for awhile now that even if he came back to training, because his concussion was so serious, what the risks would be every time he fell from a jump. The forces even with a double or triple are a lot on your entire body; even the brain. Quad jumps would be insane.

I do applaud Joshua for deciding to announce now that he is retiring and understand what long term is important in life - his health and happiness.

On a (somewhat) shallow note, does anyone else really like how he looks with glasses? :biggrin:

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
That decision was best for Joshua, but I will miss his skating very much.....

sarama

Medalist
I'm really sorry for Joshua. This last year must have been really difficult for him. I wish him the best of luck for his future and I hope we'll see him again as a choreographer, and maybe in some shows.
I think he is one of the greatest talents of his generation, so it's particularly sad that we'll never see him reach his potential. I can't immagine what he's going through: he could have had it all, if it hadn't been for this endless succession of injuries and accidents, and that must be a tough burden to bear. I hope he won't think too much about what could have been....meanwhile I'll go watch some of his old programs and:sad4:

noskates

Record Breaker
Really sensitive article handled in a very professional way. I had no idea Josh was struggling with this. The headaches and the depressions in one so young is just sad. I do hope he finds some happiness in coaching and going to school.

charmblade

Final Flight
:cry:

Very sad to hear this news, but I am glad Josh is taking his health seriously. Hopefully he will be able to relax, rest, and recuperate more easily without the added stress to trying to return to competition. Major props to him for this honest and real article, he has handled the situation with much maturity and grace.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I haven't stopped crying from the moment I read it.

:sad21: :sad21: :sad21: :sad21:

badknees

Medalist
Josh has had such unbelievably bad luck the last few years with his injuries/health. And even in his best senior season, he zayaked himself out the the national championship.

Wishing him all the best. I hope he still gets opportunities to perform. He such a beautiful skater!

It's really unfortunate that Josh did not get the national championship due the the Zayak rule.

Is there a thread that explains the Zayak rule? I don't understand why there is such a rule.
What does it matter how many and what kind of jumps a skater does?
Sure the scores may be lower if all the jumps were of one kind but shouldn't that be the skaters choice?

Elaine Zayak did like 7 triples and then they made this rule??

begin

Medalist
Josh :cry:

I can't get over this. He was by far my favorite USA male skater and it's heartbreaking he had to go through all of this. So sad to see him retire, but as much as I'll miss his beautiful skating (and what could've been), I'm glad he's taking care of himself. All the best luck to your future endeavours, Josh!

andromache

Record Breaker
Heartbroken. :cry:

I've never been so invested in a men's skater. The entire field is a little more empty without that something special he brings that no one else has.

Edit: Glad to hear he's not leaving skating entirely and has dreams of becoming an elite level coach. Maybe one day we'll see him in the K&C at a major event and we can all squeal like little girls.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
It's so hard to hear of his struggles, and I wish Josh the best. With talent like he has, he can succeed at anything. I hope to see him soon as a coach in the kiss and cry. Until then, I'll watch his performances from 2 seasons ago. Best of luck Josh.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Edit: Glad to hear he's not leaving skating entirely and has dreams of becoming an elite level coach. Maybe one day we'll see him in the K&C at a major event and we can all squeal like little girls.

I think much like Rohene found a mini Ro in Jason to choreograph for, so too will Josh I suspect find a mini Josh to choreograph for. I think we will see more of him in the K&C - his calm demeanor could really work for some students who could get overwhelmed/intimidated by many other coaches.

It is sad to see him go, but honestly I think he still has a bright future with the sport.

Weathergal

Medalist
I gasped when I first read the news yet I know I shouldn't be surprised because of how long he's been out and how little news there's been. I am truly sad for him but grateful that he is recovering and finding new paths to take.

I just watched his "Give Me Love" SP from US Nationals once and twice from 4CCs in his honor, and it was hard to watch knowing all this but wonderful, too. Here's one of the 4CCs links I watched (from B.ESPN): https://youtu.be/4zqijqa4Fm0

I wish him all the best. Maybe one day future skating fans will wonder about a skater's choreographer and/or coach namd Joshua Farris, and look him up and discover his amazing talent. Sort of how many people discovered--or rediscovered--Rohene Ward aa Jason Brown became more successful.

Edited to add: Forgot to mention I thought the article was excellent.

Last edited:

musicfan80

Medalist
I think much like Rohene found a mini Ro in Jason to choreograph for, so too will Josh I suspect find a mini Josh to choreograph for. I think we will see more of him in the K&C - his calm demeanor could really work for some students who could get overwhelmed/intimidated by many other coaches.

It is sad to see him go, but honestly I think he still has a bright future with the sport.

I think so, too - I'm not sure how your competitive career record helps being able to get much needed experience, but he does have a better resume than Rohene did. Maybe it's a non factor, but it can't hurt.

BTW, Lucinda Ruh has tweeted support to Josh. She is saying that she has suffered concussions from spinning.

Last edited:

liv

Record Breaker
It is sad to see someone forced out of a sport he loves and is so good at. With many injuries to the body you often see an athlete's strength of will or mental toughness help them overcome and push through things....' mind over matter' type thing. With concussions it is the opposite... the body can be strong, but when the brain is damaged it just cannot be overcome. The harder you try, the more you suffer.

He will be a very good coach, choreographer, of that I am certain. He has 'unfinished business' in figure skating, but it will be taken care of in a different way. Looking forward to watching his future unfold... and I hope that with more time and now fewer skating worries, his symptoms will get better.

Nice article, very sensitive and understanding.

gourry

Final Flight
Oh my that's so sad... Didn't know he had three concussions last summer! That's a lot. I think he made a right choice to call it a day for now. Health is more important in the long run.
Best wishes for his future! I'll miss him so much.