Battle with concussions ends Farris' career | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Battle with concussions ends Farris' career

kiara_bleu

On the Ice
Here is Ashley talking about it : http://espn.go.com/olympics/story/_/id/15066235/ashley-wagner-briana-scurry-alison-tetrick-share-concussion-concerns-roundtable-discussion

Wagner, 24, said she has suffered at least three concussions in training over the past 10 years that went undiagnosed until she self-reported symptoms and believes her cognitive abilities have been permanently affected. Fear of being sidelined prevents many skaters from admitting they're concussed, she said, and few are willing to train with protective headgear. Skaters often train alone or with coaches who aren't trained to spot concussion warning signs.

I have never gone into the doctor [immediately] to be diagnosed. I've always suffered the consequences later and gone in and been [told], "OK, you have post-concussion syndrome."

I think we have come very far in skating; if you're at a major event, absolutely, that is one of the first things they go to, to make sure they can rule it out. But I think there's still an environment within skating and coaches where it's like tough love, "shake it off, you'll be fine," and it's a vicious cycle. It trains the athletes to not really think of that as a priority. Usually, you have a bad fall and you think, "Is my foot OK. Did I hurt my hand?" [Concussion] is not the first thing we're thinking about.

We need to introduce coaches to some kind of general protocol when your athlete takes a hard fall and hits their head. I think people are getting better with falls, but it's not always physical contact that results in a concussion. The whiplash and snapping your neck can just as easily cause a concussion. Getting the coaches on board a little more, [with] an easy test they can do rinkside to make sure their athlete is OK, would be helpful.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
It is a great loss for figure skating fans to not see him compete ever again. He was like a lyrical poet capable of delivering emotions based on solid skating skills. But what can be more important than his health? Life must go on. He said he will find a way to keep in touch with the sport he loves. He is brave enough to open up about the struggles that he suffered and what could be best for his future. I just wish him all the best and someday hope to meet him in any form like coach or choreographer.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Once again: the first concussion was a whiplash concussion. Do we all know what whiplash is? It means that a helmet would not have done a single plushenchrist-damned thing to stop it.

We know the third one was from bumping his head on a car. Again: should he have been wearing a helmet then too?

actually, when you have a concussion, it is often recommended to wear a helmet for a while, exactly to prevent from bumping your head on a car... i only have read the article, I do not know the medical file but it is very common to protect your head after a concussion.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I haven't stopped crying from the moment I read it.

:sad21: :sad21: :sad21: :sad21:

Oh my. I am a bit behind the times in the off season, and I've just seen this. I am absolutely gutted, but also I am grateful that he and his support system have the common sense to make this decision.

I live in an area of the country where football is king, and I see young men at the high school level risk real damage to their health. playing after recent or multiple concussions, with the full backing of coaches and parents. It makes me sick.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
This makes me so sad. I am really impressed with Josh's insight regarding his injury. I think he will be a great coach and choreographer and it would be awesome to see him at the elite level in that realm. What is really sad about this is that he basically did everything right. His first concussion was not something that could have been prevented (whiplash) and the third one was a freak accident (hitting his head on the car door). He rested like he was supposed to. There wasn't anything else he could do, he did what he was supposed to.

Skating will continue to increase technically, the same can be said of most other sports. While we should always look at how to make training safer the unkind fact is that accidents will still happen. It's a risk these athletes accept and unfortunately some injuries (like Josh's) are just that, freak accidents.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Very sad news. He really was a beautiful skater. He'll be sadly missed, but I wish him well in all he does from now on.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So bummed out about this news, but I wish him all the best in everything he does in his future!

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
He's wonderful to watch. Two things and maybe they have been said. Why don't they practice with helmets like hockey players? And this emphasis on quads is to much. Limits on quads!!!! To much injury and damage to young people. Jumping alone is not progress. Watch Scott Hamilton , the Brian's. These are not empty boring programs. These were totally polished skaters. Now no one skates with great skills like glide edges smoothness.

Limit quads!!! And wear helmets during practice - gee it's not worth it.

I've constantly asked that same question re helmets myself. Or even just wear a knitted hat that could help cushion a blow to the head.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Unfortunately, I think it would be very difficult to train wearing helmets and then be expected to take them off for competition. Taking the extra weight on and off your head would totally change your equilibrium, no matter how lightweight the helmet is. Especially for an elite skater who's executing triples, quads, and level 4 spins.

I understand where the sentiment is coming from, however.

Last edited:

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
Unfortunately, I think it would be very difficult to train wearing helmets and then be expected to take them off for competition. Taking the extra weight on and off your head would totally change your equilibrium, no matter how light of a difference. Especially for an elite skater who's executing triples, quads, and spins.

I understand where the sentiment is coming from, however.

When I was skating, I always wore gloves in practice, both because my hands were otherwise cold, and to protect my hands from ice burn when falling. I found it very difficult to then take the gloves off for tests or when skating dances with a partner. I think this is why you see several of the Russian ladies wearing nude gloves in competition- they find it too hard to go out there without them after training in them day in and day out. I can't imagine what it would feel like to always practice in a helmet and then have to take it off for tests, shows, competitions, etc.

Tutto

Record Breaker
The news I feared for some time but hoped against hope for a different outcome as the recovery of Gabriela Papadakis, Natalia Zabiako gave some reason to be optimistic. Oh Josh so much talent so little luck.

BESP commentary on his LP at 4CC in 2015 is painful to recollect now:

'Joshua Farris, watch him with a keen interest in the years to come, he will be a major factor in men's discipline'

But it was not meant to be. So sad & heartbreaking...
Glad he is making a new life for himself and have no doubt he will shine bright as a coach & choreographer too
The consolation for Josh should be that he really did have a very successful career yes not as successful as it could have been but still: Junior World Champion, 4CC vice-champion not bad at all not counting all GP medals. How many skaters had to stop due to injuries before they even reached the elite level? And we are talking maybe 10 years of training and all sacrifices and all came to nothing.

Josh we'll never forget you - the two flawless programs you skated at 4CC in 2015 will always be with us. Thank you.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
When I was skating, I always wore gloves in practice, both because my hands were otherwise cold, and to protect my hands from ice burn when falling. I found it very difficult to then take the gloves off for tests or when skating dances with a partner. I think this is why you see several of the Russian ladies wearing nude gloves in competition- they find it too hard to go out there without them after training in them day in and day out. I can't imagine what it would feel like to always practice in a helmet and then have to take it off for tests, shows, competitions, etc.

Same here, when I skated singles, I would always wear thin finger gloves at practice; taking them off for testing and competing was always noticeably different, however I suppose EVERYTHING is different when you're testing and competing in comparison to skating on a practice session: wearing a tight, thin-materialed, sparkly costume (usually with short sleeves or spaghetti straps) and thin footed tights instead of multiple layers of long sleeved shirts, a jacket and leggings/pants or a skating skirt and thicker tights (I'd usually have on a pair of footed tights and then over-the-boot or footless tights overtop). As an aside, as a synchro skater currently, I never wear gloves during practice, but that's probably because of how synchro requires holding on to other skaters shoulder-to-shoulder or hand-in-hand, I feel like I get a better grip than I would if I was wearing gloves.

But I digress. ;)

It's actually quite remarkable to think of all the factors that influence the space a skater trains in, in comparison to when they compete. Clothing, atmosphere, noise, an audience (or lack there of), having the whole ice to yourself when competing vs practicing with other skaters, etc. So many differences. I suppose if skaters has to train wearing headgear it would just be another thing that's different from competing, but I really can't see it happening.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I've constantly asked that same question re helmets myself. Or even just wear a knitted hat that could help cushion a blow to the head.

Yes, even a slightly padded hat might help, and it wouldn't feel that different when the skater were to take it off in competition.

musicfan80

Medalist
I've been under the impression, due to the stories from skaters who have had concussions, that many are from their head & neck doing a "whiplash" from either falling on jumps or some other element. A knitted hat or even helmet would probably not help prevent those.

I do think that direct hits on head to the ice is more of a danger in pairs and ice dance - especially in lifts.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Sorry to hear about Josh's retirement.:( He is such a beautiful skater. Best of luck to him!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Yes, even a slightly padded hat might help, and it wouldn't feel that different when the skater were to take it off in competition.

The protective hats and headbands currently on the market (Ribcap and the Crasche Midi are the two I'm familiar with) offer some protection but it's not comparable to a helmet. In fact, the Crasche Midi is permanently labeled with a disclaimer that says essentially, this is not nearly as good as a helmet but it's better than nothing.

An additional issue is that helmets on the market are not designed for skaters and may not be effective protection.

musicfan80

Medalist
Not skating related and it isn't not as bad as Joshua's situation, but it was from a "whiplash" injury and it's another athlete's look at measuring the risks of training/competing: Greg Rutherford risks permanent hearing loss if he continues competing.

Rutherford has a 1:4 chance of losing all of his hearing in his left ear. Although I think this being an Olympic year makes a difference in his decision. I think this is another example of how complicated and delicate brain-related injuries can be.

Last edited: