Battle with concussions ends Farris' career | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Battle with concussions ends Farris' career

amc987

On the Ice
I am devastated. Josh was my favorite men's skater since Jeremy Abbott. I'm so sorry we won't get to see him compete any more.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
I know I should be glad he is putting his health first, but tell this to me. :cry:

Last season Josh had a perfect set of programs. It showcasted his artistic abilities and technical skills. His Give Me Love SP was a masterpiece and his SL FS was heathwreching but so calm at the same time... I will surely miss him.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
It's sad to lose such a talented, sensitive skater, but it sounds as if it can't be helped. Bad luck. I'm glad that his parents are so very supportive, that he has new goals in his life and that he can still be a part of the FS world because he wants to.

grotesm1

Rinkside
I've been a fan of Josh Farris ever since I saw him beat Jason Brown in Novice Men in Cleveland many years ago. Not only did he have great technical ability, but his presentation was beautiful. I always thought that he had the ability to be #1 in U.S. Men, but health problems and injuries prevented him from getting there. I'm sorry to see him leave competition, but after reading the article, I'm glad he made the decision. No sport is worth risking your health. But it is sad to see such a talent go unfulfilled and leaving competition.

I wish him nothing but good health and a happy life going forward. I hope he decides to stay in FS as a coach and choreographer; I think he could do well in both roles. But I will greatly miss seeing him in competition.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It's really unfortunate that Josh did not get the national championship due the the Zayak rule.

Is there a thread that explains the Zayak rule? I don't understand why there is such a rule.
What does it matter how many and what kind of jumps a skater does?
Sure the scores may be lower if all the jumps were of one kind but shouldn't that be the skaters choice?

Elaine Zayak did like 7 triples and then they made this rule??

I hear you but at the same time what if by fluke especially the ladies your best j ump was say the triple loop or flip or better yet lutz but like Yamaguchi you could do the easier salchow - you could rack up huge points - maybe they should give bonus points for skaters who can do all triples in ladies at least but the axel. I mean even top competitors ie Mao, Yuna and as as stated Yamaguchi have a jump they don't or didn't do really. you could really manipulate programs. I was reviewing old skates on youtube and there wasa Canadian skater Kay Thomson who went on to skate pro on nudes on ice and she couldn't do a triple toe or salchow which were far easier but she did the 3lutz pretty consistently.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I hope another wonderful door will open for Josh. One can never to hear as tory like this other than he is an inspiration to others -there is more to life than skating and one's health is more important. Still so sad. But considering the risks; two years from the next olympics and the opportunities with schooling and such - i truly believe his competitive spirit and hard work ethic will allow him to rise in some other area. To put things in perspective, skating for most of us is something we love and we are ubers but we all know there is far more (well sometimes it seems like we don't lol) to life than winning a medal or landing a quad or stretching oneself into the perfect Biellman or layback that would send Uncle Dick into a tizzy.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Adding to the chorus of feeling sad that we won't see Josh skate competitively anymore but I'm relieved that he's made a decision and shared it with us as well as his struggles to recover. I can't imagine the stress and pain he's experienced and hope by sharing his story he can help others.

I'm glad we haven't heard the last from him regarding being involved with skating as coach and choreographer. I hope he releases his music someday and maybe even performs publicly so he can be back in the spotlight and hear some well deserved applause again.

I'm also grateful as a fan that he did have that breakout season in 2014-2015 where he gave us 2 gorgeous programs, both skated at his best at 4CC's.

Wishing him the best with his studies and future endeavors. I'm sure this isn't the last we'll hear of him.

Last edited:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
This is so devastating, but sadly, it's what's best for Joshua. :( The long term complications caused by multiple concussions can be irreparable. Kudos to him for making the difficult decision to take a different path.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Like his grace on ice, Josh's courage is carrying him through life with all its tests and choices. With all his suffering this last year, he still shines and is determined to shine. And I know he will keep shining.

All my best to you, Josh. Your shining light will be upon us again and again in the future.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Very sorry to read this news to realise how severe his injuries has been. What difficult and personal journey he must have had to reach this tough but necessery decision.

This is such a dangerous sport.. so much hardwork and risks for few minutes and even seconds of glory. Oh but what glory and delight Josh managed to achieve at his absolute best... Raised the bar for US men. His 'Give me love' will always bring a smile to my face, his Schindler's list has the dignity, respect, emotional subtlety/restraint, and fortitude i thought the music and the subject deserves. He was a class above his peers in my eye. His star shone brighter and made an indelible impression with his choice of programs, creative decisions and interpretative ability. Ferris is my favourite US men after Jeremy Abbott. Oh if only.. what could have been.

Wish you the best Josh. Be very happy and proud of everything you have achieved.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
He's wonderful to watch. Two things and maybe they have been said. Why don't they practice with helmets like hockey players? And this emphasis on quads is to much. Limits on quads!!!! To much injury and damage to young people. Jumping alone is not progress. Watch Scott Hamilton , the Brian's. These are not empty boring programs. These were totally polished skaters. Now no one skates with great skills like glide edges smoothness.

Limit quads!!! And wear helmets during practice - gee it's not worth it.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
He's wonderful to watch. Two things and maybe they have been said. Why don't they practice with helmets like hockey players? And this emphasis on quads is to much. Limits on quads!!!! To much injury and damage to young people. Jumping alone is not progress. Watch Scott Hamilton , the Brian's. These are not empty boring programs. These were totally polished skaters. Now no one skates with great skills like glide edges smoothness.

Limit quads!!! And wear helmets during practice - gee it's not worth it.

Knew it wouldn't be long before the anti-quad brigade were out in force...

Joshua's first concussion was a whiplash concussion. A helmet would not have helped. Even if he was trussed up in a NASCAR-style HANS device it may not have helped. Sometimes, bad luck happens. I love him too, and I will miss him so, and my heart is broken and I still can't read his name without breaking down in tears right now, but calling to ban or limit quads is a stupid, senseless overreaction.

And if you'd read the article at all, you'd know that the third concussion, the death knell of his career, came from bumping his head as he got into a car. Should he have been wearing a helmet then too?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I understand the heartbreak, but ....

I don't understand why skaters don't wear helmets, at least in practice, more often. I watched hockey as a young pup when the players did not wear helmets. I agreed with it. Hockey was a sport sport sport for manly manly men, why would you wuss out and wear a helmet?

As they say here in Pennsylvania Dutch country, you grow too soon old and too late schmart. I was wrong. And I believe someday figure skaters will wear helmets in practice too (yeah yeah I hear it now, the spins aren't the same, the jumps aren't the same, how can you practice when every centimeter counts, :noshake:. Sorry, doesn't change my mind.

You can cross the street and get hit by a car and fall on your head; it doesn't mean you don't where a helmet when riding a bike to protect your head.

Still trying to grasp that Josh will not return.:cry:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Once again: the first concussion was a whiplash concussion. Do we all know what whiplash is? It means that a helmet would not have done a single plushenchrist-damned thing to stop it.

We know the third one was from bumping his head on a car. Again: should he have been wearing a helmet then too?

just wondering

On the Ice
I hear you but at the same time what if by fluke especially the ladies your best j ump was say the triple loop or flip or better yet lutz but like Yamaguchi you could do the easier salchow - you could rack up huge points - maybe they should give bonus points for skaters who can do all triples in ladies at least but the axel. I mean even top competitors ie Mao, Yuna and as as stated Yamaguchi have a jump they don't or didn't do really. you could really manipulate programs. I was reviewing old skates on youtube and there wasa Canadian skater Kay Thomson who went on to skate pro on nudes on ice and she couldn't do a triple toe or salchow which were far easier but she did the 3lutz pretty consistently.

As I recall, he "zayacked" on double (toe), not a triple. Further, at some point since it's creation, the IJS did not punish doubles that were "zayacked;" doubles were unregulated in this regard. Even now, the penalty would be less. Unlucky timing to be sure!

Last edited:

kiara_bleu

On the Ice
I think that the ISU should instead develop a concussion protocol that every training center/coach/competition should implement like they do in basketball where there are clear steps on what should be done when a skater experiences whiplash or a hit in the head. It should be part of coaches certification that they be trained in what instances they should do the concussion protocol and what the steps are. I'm not saying that coaches should become experts in concussions and how to treat it but at least know when they should watch out for it so that early intervention by medical professionals can be done.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think that the ISU should instead develop a concussion protocol that every training center/coach/competition should implement like they do in basketball where there are clear steps on what should be done when a skater experiences whiplash or a hit in the head. It should be part of coaches certification that they be trained in what instances they should do the concussion protocol and what the steps are. I'm not saying that coaches should become experts in concussions and how to treat it but at least know when they should watch out for it so that early intervention by medical professionals can be done.

For the love of Plushenchrist! DID ANYONE READ THE ARTICLE?!

He went and got scans after the first one! THE SCANS SHOWED NOTHING AMISS. He was CLEARED BY THE DOCTORS AFTER THE FIRST ONE. After the second one they reacted appropriately and he was off the ice. The third was a fluke. Can people actually READ the article please?!

tzazu

Medalist
I wish him the best of the lucks from here, a huge hug and hundreds of kisees! I've missed him so much this year, and I'll miss him more in the future:hopelessness:

kiara_bleu

On the Ice
For the love of Plushenchrist! DID ANYONE READ THE ARTICLE?!

He went and got scans after the first one! THE SCANS SHOWED NOTHING AMISS. He was CLEARED BY THE DOCTORS AFTER THE FIRST ONE. After the second one they reacted appropriately and he was off the ice. The third was a fluke. Can people actually READ the article please?!

Okay, calm down...I read the article but I was offering a different alternative to the whole "STOP THE QUADS" argument. It's great that Josh's team did all the right things but I also remember Ashley talking about getting concussions and still feeling the effects of it. I don't think it would hurt for ISU to take precautions considering the research out there about the significant lifelong effects concussions could have. It will at least help educate athletes and make it okay for them to get help. It's only just recently that we see concussions being taken seriously in sports. I'm glad Josh and his team was on top of it and he was able to make an informed decision about his career.