Who are your favorite Russian skaters? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Who are your favorite Russian skaters?

Crazy27

Rinkside
Lipnitskaya very popular in Russia, it is for the majority there is no place, before the Olympics it was known only to connoisseurs of figure skating and regular viewers. So when she began growing problem and she broke up with coach, most of those who started watching figure skating after Sochi, sided with Julia and Eugene was seen as part of the problem. In the eyes of viewers this confrontation will be up to 2018 Olympics, I'm sure. Even now, after two unsuccessful seasons, Lipnitskaya is ahead of the second place Eugene and Lena on the third Pogo and Adeline.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love the fabulous feet of Klimova/Ponomarenko, Usova/Zhulin, the pureness of Gordeeva/Grinkov, Sasha Abt and Ilia Kulik, Bereznaia/Sikharulidze, the passion of Mishkutionok/Dmitriev and Vladimir Kotin, the vivacious Irina Slutskaya, the fire of both Yagudin and Plushenko, the mature style of Maria B, Alexander Fadeev (Night on Bald Mountain!), Radio! and Evgenia.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
it is quite common. Virtually nobody likes Evgenia. Americans because she is a Russian and too young to beat the American stars (because judges like her, I wonder why?) And in addition she broke the LP record of Yuna! (This is unforgivable !!)
What is strange, Russians don't like her as well ! Because she is not a Russian (Babasjan), because she has a lean and sharp knees. And because she likes too much Japanese anime (and Japan at all !)
And what is common: everybody hope on her defeat after her puberty...
Poor girl ! I wish her all the best !

I like Evgenia! I think she is a phenomenon who is going to dominate the current Olympic cycle. She is also adorable. The only thing I don't like is her overuse of Tanos and her back loading in the short program. But those are faults of the system, not the skater.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION šŸ”„
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I find myself pulling for Lipnitskaya more so than other Russian skaters. When I became aware of her back in 2011 I was mostly impressed with her use of flexibility to bring innovation to spins. However, those spins, although still impressive have lost their novelty. There was a time period when she lost her jump consistency and her questionable technique became obvious. It almost seemed as though she was ready to give up skating, and I'm projecting here, because it wasn't as easy for her as it once was. Her attitude at the kiss and cry at either Skate America or Skate Canada was poor and I felt very indifferent towards her. I felt at this point you could tell Tutberidze had written her off and was much more invested in Medvedva. I felt badly for Lipnitskaya there, really badly. Since then, she seems to have changed her attitude, at least outwardly and I was so happy for her after her SP at Nationals this past season. I can't wait to see what she will bring this season.

She seemed SO unhappy at Skate America last year (and probably was!) and didn't look good in a poor, badly fitted costume. But it seems that her new coaching staff has breathed new life into all aspects of her skating, and she looks so healthy and happy. I was very troubled earlier when Tutberidze pointed out that Julia tended to put on weight. That was at a time when she probably weighed 90 pounds soaking wet (if that!). I wish her a lot of luck this season and am so excited to see her again at Skate America.

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
I also wish I could see Yagudin skate in America again if he still can skate.

Yagudin is flying!

Lyosha is amazing,
Volosozhar and Trankov are amazing,
Medvedeva is amazing,
Lipnitskaya in Sochi was amazing...
(I hope Julia will be strong again)