Help for beginner adult! My feet are so sore while skating | Golden Skate

Help for beginner adult! My feet are so sore while skating

SkatersWaltz

On the Ice
I started group adult figure skating lessons this Winter. Since I'm a beginner, I started using a pair of recreational skates I already had from 10 years ago - Jackson Softec. After one class, my feet were in such pain, that I decided to scrap those skates and get new skates. I went to the local figure skating shop and got professionally fitted. I tried on about 4 pairs of skates. The best in-store fit were a pair of Risport RF 4 B.O. They were actually on sale since that brand no longer exists (apparently, it was replaced by Risport RF light). Anyways, I've been to 3 lessons since and my feet aren't doing any better, they are still really hurting, specifically the bottom of the foot and in the middle outside of the foot. I bought the Superfeet arch supports but they haven't helped. I haven't been able to skate for more than 15 minutes without needing to take my skates off and massage my feet before going back on the ice. Obviously, I can't continue skating if my feet keep hurting this much. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it my weight that's the problem?

Height: 5 foot 5 1/2 inches
Weight: 250 pounds
Foot style: My big toe is virtually the same height as the next toe and the other 3 descend on an angle from there, each lower than the other.
Arches: Low to medium

I live in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada). I got my fitting from Figure 8 skate shop. I’m attending Worlds in Montreal so I’m open to trying on skates there as well.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I started group adult figure skating lessons this Winter. Since I'm a beginner, I started using a pair of recreational skates I already had from 10 years ago - Jackson Softec. After one class, my feet were in such pain, that I decided to scrap those skates and get new skates. I went to the local figure skating shop and got professionally fitted. I tried on about 4 pairs of skates. The best in-store fit were a pair of Risport RF 4 B.O. They were actually on sale since that brand no longer exists (apparently, it was replaced by Risport RF light). Anyways, I've been to 3 lessons since and my feet aren't doing any better, they are still really hurting, specifically the bottom of the foot and in the middle outside of the foot. I bought the Superfeet arch supports but they haven't helped. I haven't been able to skate for more than 15 minutes without needing to take my skates off and massage my feet before going back on the ice. Obviously, I can't continue skating if my feet keep hurting this much. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it my weight that's the problem?

Foot style: My big toe is virtually the same height as the next toe and the other 3 descend on an angle from there, each lower than the other.

I live in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada). I got my fitting from Figure 8 skate shop. I’m attending Worlds in Montreal so I’m open to trying on skates there as well.
Lucky you to be going to Worlds! I'm in the Vancouver area and will be watching on CBC because it's too far to travel. :coffee::popcorn:

I wear Risport RF1 boots and haven't had any problems with rubbing or pressure, but I have very high arches. It's possible you might have been better off staying with Jacksons, although I understand the lure of a new pair right there and on sale -- I bought an extra pair of boots recently, Riedells, at Cyclone Taylor's in Vancouver for just that reason. They were there, in my size, and someone had special-ordered them in and then changed her mind and forfeited her deposit so the price was reduced.

I'm assuming you had them heat-molded? And this is really reaching, but what kind of tights or socks do you wear in the boots? I've got sensitive skin and coddle my feet at all times, not just while skating. I won't venture to answer your question about possibly weight causing foot pain. I've had the problem of being chronically underweight my whole life and won't speculate, out of personal ignorance. I can't see how that could cause pain in just two specific points, though, unless it's that the Risports are the wrong shape for your overall shape of foot, resulting in pressure there, and the Jackson last might have been a more comfortable choice? Not much help, I'm afraid, but just a couple of random thoughts that occured to me when I read your post.

Have fun trying them on at Worlds if you have the chance. I can't think of a better souvenir!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Hi and welcome. Sorry you are experiencing this. You need to try Risport RF3 Pro. The one you're in isn't stiff enough for your stats. Also, you could try Jackson Synergy Elite. You will need a decent intermediate blade with these, try classic style of MK Pro or JW Coronation Ace.

Good luck!

midori green

On the Ice
This might not apply to your situation at all, but it might. When I got back into skating as an adult, every pair of skates I tried on caused almost a burning pain in my feet. I chose the least-painful pair, even though the fitter said they were too big for me.

I later found out I was extremely anemic. I think the pain I felt was because the pressure of the padding (especially my outside ankle bone) was enough to decrease my already-restricted oxygen flow to my feet, and they were screaming at me.

(Once the anemia was controlled, I could handle more skating with less fatigue, and I started jumping. My skates were, in fact, too long for me.)

So, if all the skates hurt, it might be the fit, but it could be other factors...just something to think about, because it didn't occur to me at all at the time.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
When I first got back on the ice I had terrible foot pain and could only do 10 mins at a time; however, it got better when I specifically warmed up my feet. I found it helpful to do a dance warm up on the feet (after doing a general warm up) as your feet may be cramping. You are using muscles you may not have used before, so it may take a while to get comfortable.

It could also be that your issues are 100% related to the boot, but make sure to warm up your feet (it will either help or confirm that its not the issue). It's also worth a try to bring them to the fitter and explain where you are feeling the pain so that they can troubleshoot for you. They can watch you lace the boots and determine if there is something you can do to help alleviate the issue, or if they need a bump out or heat molding or other fix.

SkatersWaltz

On the Ice
Lucky you to be going to Worlds! I'm in the Vancouver area and will be watching on CBC because it's too far to travel. :coffee::popcorn:

I wear Risport RF1 boots and haven't had any problems with rubbing or pressure, but I have very high arches. It's possible you might have been better off staying with Jacksons, although I understand the lure of a new pair right there and on sale -- I bought an extra pair of boots recently, Riedells, at Cyclone Taylor's in Vancouver for just that reason. They were there, in my size, and someone had special-ordered them in and then changed her mind and forfeited her deposit so the price was reduced.

I'm assuming you had them heat-molded? And this is really reaching, but what kind of tights or socks do you wear in the boots? I've got sensitive skin and coddle my feet at all times, not just while skating. I won't venture to answer your question about possibly weight causing foot pain. I've had the problem of being chronically underweight my whole life and won't speculate, out of personal ignorance. I can't see how that could cause pain in just two specific points, though, unless it's that the Risports are the wrong shape for your overall shape of foot, resulting in pressure there, and the Jackson last might have been a more comfortable choice? Not much help, I'm afraid, but just a couple of random thoughts that occured to me when I read your post.

Have fun trying them on at Worlds if you have the chance. I can't think of a better souvenir!
Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, the fitter told me that with the this version of the RF 4 B.O. which is the older model, they can't do the heat molding. I have tried every type of sock imaginable from thin ankle "bobby" socks to very thick socks (essentially slippers) and the issues persisted.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, the fitter told me that with the this version of the RF 4 B.O. which is the older model, they can't do the heat molding. I have tried every type of sock imaginable from thin ankle "bobby" socks to very thick socks (essentially slippers) and the issues persisted.
The lack of molding might explain the pain on the outer edge of your foot (well do I remember the agony of breaking in new boots when I was growing up pre-molding days!), but I'm not sure about any connection to pain in the soles. It was worth suggesting, but if you can find the booths for various companies under one roof while you're at Worlds, that would be an opportunity to be measured by a series of fitters -- if they have them there? -- and try on a variety of brands to compare. And at least see what the various reps say about your problem while you've got a group together in one location to ask. Good luck!

AdultskaterB

Spectator
Sorry you're experiencing this! Such an uncomfortable way to begin your figure skating career! Sadly, I think this experience is extremely common in adults because of general deconditioning over time in adult life. For people that have this kind of intractable foot pain, I encourage working with a Physiotherapist that specializes in foot health or whom is very knowledgeable about figure skating and/or ballet. Getting on a conditioning program with specific focus on intrinsic foot strength/coordination and balance will without a doubt significantly improve or take away your discomfort over the weeks of doing rehab exercises and continuing to skate. People are often quick to blame equipment in these situations when there are significant strength and motor control deficits that are causing overuse discomfort. While kids and many young adult skaters can handle the degree of discomfort as they begin skating, many others cannot and the problem can easily be rectified with professional assistance.