Grand Prix ISU announcement- prize money, rules | Golden Skate

Grand Prix ISU announcement- prize money, rules

Hmm. The Grand Prix series has lost most of its television coverage, now the prize pool has been reduced. In the meantime, the three so-called cheesefests are on a roll. They have become serious competitions with substantial cash prizes to the winners, and they attract the best skaters in the world, some of whom have chosen to skip the Grand Prix in the past.

Will the Grand Cheesefest Series become the premier events of figure skating, after National and World championships?

Mathman

sk8pics

Rinkside
You know, I think the advertized prize money for the cheesefests is actually a reduction in what was previously paid as appearance fees. The bottom finishers now get only a couple thousand dollars, and I am sure that was previously a $10,000 appearance fee. I wonder how much Michelle (or Timmy or Mike) are getting in an appearance fee, in addition to the prize money available.

Pat

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mathman: "Will the Grand Cheesefest Series become the premier events of figure skating, after National and World championships?"

Not as long as they continue to be FS-only Invitational events, with only 6 or 7 skaters, and are not awarded ISU ranking points.

The USFSA Cheesefests are good for skaters like Arakawa and Ando, who were unknown to US audiences. Appearing in a Cheesefest and doing well may earn rising skaters a berth in the COI tour, and a chance to make money off-season.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I wouldn't worry. Not too long ago, everyone was afraid the cheesy Pro-Ams were the future of the sport, and those are nowhere to be found. Competition fads may come and go, but Nationals/Europeans/Worlds will always be there.

R.D.

Record Breaker
The Grand Prix series has lost most of its television coverage

I wouldn't say so, at least in the U.S. ESPN is still going to cover those events. I don't know about other countries.