Canadian Idol July 21/22 | Golden Skate

Canadian Idol July 21/22

mike79

On the Ice
Great show tonight. Definitely an improvement from last year. Here's my rankings for tonight's first top ten show:

1. Theresa - Simply amazing. She doesn't need this show to become a star.

2. Jacob - While it was pure cheese it showed what a great entertainer he is.

3. Kaleb - I thought I would hate it but I thought it was great. He's this year's Jenny Gear.

4. Kalan - He seems so timid but he can rock with the best.

5. Elena - Great vocals, her personal best so far.

6. Jason - Very good, has good stage presence.

7. Manoah - She got panned by the judges but she held her own.

8. Brandy - She can sing but it was a whole lot of so what.

9. Joshua - Bland.

10. Shane - Absolutely horrible. He seemed smug and cocky to go along with a crap performance. He has to go.

Predictions: Bottom 3 will be Shane, Josh, and Manoah with Josh going home.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
mike79 said:
Great show tonight. Definitely an improvement from last year. Here's my rankings for tonight's first top ten show:

1. Theresa - Simply amazing. She doesn't need this show to become a star.

2. Jacob - While it was pure cheese it showed what a great entertainer he is.

3. Kaleb - I thought I would hate it but I thought it was great. He's this year's Jenny Gear.

4. Kalan - He seems so timid but he can rock with the best.

5. Elena - Great vocals, her personal best so far.

6. Jason - Very good, has good stage presence.

7. Manoah - She got panned by the judges but she held her own.

8. Brandy - She can sing but it was a whole lot of so what.

9. Joshua - Bland.

10. Shane - Absolutely horrible. He seemed smug and cocky to go along with a crap performance. He has to go.

Predictions: Bottom 3 will be Shane, Josh, and Manoah with Josh going home.

Mike:

Shane, horrible? Please say it ain't so. I heard him sing briefly on the radio and he sounded awesome. Now Eleana, on the other hand, is horrible and must go!!!

mike79

On the Ice
Trust me Lad, I know you like him but Shane was horrid singing Glass Tiger. Wait until you see the show and try not to play favorites. I almost did with Kaleb (I haven't liked him at all until tonight). Elena was great tonight. Theresa, however, should win this competition as she's miles ahead of everyone.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
mike79 said:
Trust me Lad, I know you like him but Shane was horrid singing Glass Tiger. Wait until you see the show and try not to play favorites. I almost did with Kaleb (I haven't liked him at all until tonight). Elena was great tonight. Theresa, however, should win this competition as she's miles ahead of everyone.

I just saw Shane sing - tough song to sing - perhaps a bit of a risk for him at this stage - I still think he has a great voice.

Josh - nice, but Try is also a very difficult song to sing. He was flat in several spots.

I can't remember the gal's name who sang before Shane - was it Brandy?- she has quite a lot of power in her voice, but did nothing for me.

Manoah - just caught the last two notes - ouch!!!

Jason - No Bryan Adams, but good effort.

Kalan - Hmmm...Born To Be Wild - brave choice, but I think Steppenwolf would cringe if they heard this interpretation; particularly John Kay. I somehow can't feature Kalan on a Harley. Sorry, I don't agree with judges. As far as a career in rock and roll - this boy better head back to the farm!

okay, now I give up - the last guy (black singer) just murdered a Bryan Adams song - Everything I do. I think the judges are on drugs or something - they must be kidding. They actually told him it was good.

I missed Theresa so can't comment.

Eleana - not as embarrassing as last time, but Alanis Morriset? Come on!

Now, I know why I hate this show.

eww............

Okay - I stuck it out until the end and the last singer completely surprised me - Jacob, from Abbotsford (same place as Shane). I thought he was by far the most entertaining with his quirky interpretation of Paul Anka's "Put Your Head On My Shoulder." I think he made the wisest choice of material.

I don't know if I will watch the next installment. How many more shows?

Last edited:

mike79

On the Ice
Lad, the thing with the Idol shows is that you shouldn't expect exact renditions of the songs. That's where people like Kaleb, who sang Bryan Adams, are good; they bring originality to this show. Of course, we'll always have our personal favs, but originality counts.

There will be one contestant eliminated each week from here on out until there are two left for the finale. You should give it a try. Some of the 'themes' will be Lionel Richie night, Gordon Lightfoot night, and Big Band night. It should be an entertaining season.

Oh, and I agree about Jacob choosing a great song to sing. Although he doesn't have the best voice of the final ten, he is probably the best at recognizing his own strengths and playing to them.

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
Thanks so much for the reviews!

I raced home from work last night so I could catch the show and alas, curse of the children!

My son had his PS hooked up to the TV, and being very limited in the knowledge of electronics, I had NO clue how to hook my satellite back up :cry:

I really need my 10 year old to give me a lesson on these things... this is truly pathetic!

My personal favourites from the audition rounds were Theresa, Kalan and Manoah, so I am pleased to hear that at least 2 of them did well. I also really enjoy Shane, and am disappointed to hear he didn't do well.

Tonight the TV is MINE!!!!!!

Canuck

Kara Bear

Final Flight
I'm making a prediction. Final 2: Theresa and Jacob. I will be buying Theresa's cd...she rocks my socks. Jacob, I don't care for, but I do appreciate his talents.

Other people I was impressed with: Jason: such a good preformer and sooo cool. He has such a familiar friendly look. Elena: beautiful. Kaleb: I just want to hug him

Not so impressed with: Manoah: overly dramatic. Kalem: there is something about him. Its hard to describe. Its like there is no emotion in his eyes. He may have sounded ok, but I wasn't getting anything. Plus, he looks slightly stoned all the time...kinda dopey.

Whose gonna go? Definitely Shane, that was bad! But he has a cute wife to consol him. Cute couple

All in all, it was a very good show

Ladskater

Record Breaker
It's strange how everyone raved about Shanes' rendition of Dylans'
"Forever Young" (I heard it on the radio - fantastic) and now because of one
song, not as well delivered he is suddenly put on people's "vote him off the Island" list.

It's kind of like figure skating. Skaters have good and bad days. They can't always be on. I think Shane deserves another chance. He has a lovely voice, and in my opinion sounded a bit nervous the other night. I think he chose the wrong song for his style. I hope he makes a better choice next time and proves everyone wrong!

Go Shane!

Ladskater

Record Breaker
mike79 said:
Lad, the thing with the Idol shows is that you shouldn't expect exact renditions of the songs. That's where people like Kaleb, who sang Bryan Adams, are good; they bring originality to this show. Of course, we'll always have our personal favs, but originality counts.

There will be one contestant eliminated each week from here on out until there are two left for the finale. You should give it a try. Some of the 'themes' will be Lionel Richie night, Gordon Lightfoot night, and Big Band night. It should be an entertaining season.

Oh, and I agree about Jacob choosing a great song to sing. Although he doesn't have the best voice of the final ten, he is probably the best at recognizing his own strengths and playing to them.

Mike:

I don't expect exact interpretations of songs by other artists, but I don't expect singers to "murder" these tunes either. Kaleb's rendition of Bryan Adams' "Everything I do" was just awful - way off & flat - perhaps it was the wrong choice for his style of singing. Bryan Adams is not exactly R&B - if that is what Kaleb's category is.

I will probably tune in again. I want to see if Shane does better in the next round. I wish I had heard him sing "Forever Young" I love that song. Joan Baez sings it best (next to Dylan, of course).

mike79

On the Ice
I wouldn't say that just because of one performance people are turning on Shane. I haven't liked anything he's done so far, but that's just personal taste. Shane won't make it far in this competition for two reasons: He will end up splitting his own hometown vote with Jacob who has infinitely more fans, and Shane isn't one of the favorites to win unlike Theresa, Kalan, and Jacob.

I understand how people don't like Kaleb that much. He's very odd to watch, much like the contestant from last year, Jenny Gear. His visual performance is just strange to watch, taking away from his vocals.

mike79

On the Ice
Kara, Kalan is the little blond curly haired guy and Kaleb is the guy from Dartmouth.

Kara Bear

Final Flight
Ok, Kalan is the guy I want to hug and Kaleb freaks me out. I think I've got it straight. :)