Evaluating This Year's Music/Programs | Golden Skate

Evaluating This Year's Music/Programs

Daniel1998

Final Flight
So I thought it would be interesting to discuss, after having seen so many performances this season, what we all thought of this year's programs (the music, costumes, choreography, etc.). The best? The worst? Programs that surprised us? We've seen the programs enough times that we all probably have a concrete idea of what worked for us and what didn't.

Men:

Yuzuru Hanyu SP: A-
I loved the choreography of this short, and was really amazed the first time he performed it at all of the details and intricacies of the movements and choreographic highlights. I didn't love the fact that he never performed it clean, and we never saw it to its full potential. I also thought the purple costume was a bit much, although I certainly admire his commitment to the program. I certainly couldn't pull off purple. :laugh:

Yuzuru Hanyu FP: B
I expected this program to be amazing, because I love Hisaishi's music, but it fell a bit flat for me, especially all of the times he didn't perform it clean. It almost always looked like a struggle, and there was a lot of head-down skating. It didn't quite have the impact his past free programs have had on me, and I'm not a fan of the costume either.

Javier Fernandez SP: A-
This program fit him to a tee in every way- the costume, the look, the choreography was all done really well and looked authentic.

Javier Fernandez FP: B-
As much as I understand how well this kind of fun, light program suits Javi, I'm almost getting tired of it. I'd like to see him try something a bit darker and serious in his next free skate- it almost feels like I've watched the same free skate for a few years.

Patrick Chan SP: A
I love this short program- I think it shows off everything good about his skating and reminds us about the virtues of his effortless and smooth stroking. It was so great to see him perform it so well at Worlds.

Patrick Chan FP: B-
I think the fact that Eric composed this was very cool, but for me, I thought it was kind of bland, and what really detracted for me was how computerized everything sounded. I think it could have had a bigger impact on me if the music sounded live.

Shoma Uno SP: A-
I'm a bigger fan of this program than most people are- I think the dramatic string pieces really fit Shoma. The costume again, was a bit too over the top for me, but I liked what he did with the music and choreography.

Shoma Uno FP: B+
I hated this program at the beginning of the season. I couldn't stand the latter half of the program when the lady was screaming and guffawing and whatnot. To be honest I still hate the music, but the reason why I gave it such a high grade is because of Shoma's 100% commitment to the program. He was giving face and all the intensity that the music required, and I loved the costume choice. That being said, I hope he goes back to something a bit more classical for the Olympic season.

Special shoutout: Boyang Jin SP.
Shimmy those shoulders, boy.

Ladies:

Evgenia Medvedeva SP: B
It was fine. I actually like the fact that Evgenia is telling a story in all of her programs- the problem for me is that it's far too obvious what the story is. The jump rope was too much for me, and I think her costume, while the colour was nice, was a little juniorish. I didn't mind this program, but it's not something I'll remember years down the road.

Evgenia Medvedeva LP: D
Yeah, no. No no no. Even the removal of those godawful voiceovers would have elevated this a few levels for me. Aside from that, it was a perfectly fine program, but I can understand how it would be a very offensive program for those affected by the event. I also thought aside from the phone calling that it was basically the exact same program as last season. There was no improvement or change.

Kaetlyn Osmond SP: A+
To me this is the best ladies' short program of the season, and it will likely be one of the programs Osmond is most remembered for after her career is over. You could tell she loves the music, and the choreography and interpretation was absolutely spot on. It was classy, elegant, and fun.

Kaetlyn Osmond FP: B
I thought it was interesting to see Osmond try something so balletic. I liked that it showed off her flow and speed, and the choreographic sequence was very nice, as was her costume (to be honest Kaetlyn could rock any outfit.) I don't think this quite maximized her performance value, though- it was a lot of pretty smiling and posing, when we know Kaetlyn is capable of giving lots of attitude and pizzazz.

Anna Pogorilaya SP: A-
If anyone was meant to skate to Scent of a Woman, it's Anna Pogorilaya. I thought she looked really into the program, and the modern remix of the song was unexpected and very cool. Pogorilaya sometimes doesn't let herself go in her programs, and seems restrained in some of her performances. I think this program helped to let her loose a little, especially during the step sequence.

Ashley Wagner SP: B-
No one can deny that Ashley performs the heck out of this program, but to me it lacked a lot of transitions, and the weaknesses of her skating were hidden behind the performance and interpretation of the song. It felt like a rehashed and not quite as stunning version of her Hip Hip Chin Chin program.

Ashley Wagner FP: B-
Again, I liked this program a lot more than most people did. I liked the idea of seeing a more restrained and moody side of Ashley. I liked the choreography and how the program built more and more as the music grew to a climax. However, it's a program that becomes dead when you don't skate it well and miss the jumps. Unfortunately, Ashley never skated this all that well, and as a result the program lost its energy and intensity.

Karen Chen SP: A+
I loved everything about this program. The swan hands, the costume, that spiral, all of it. I love that Karen actually had a large part in choreographing this program, and I think this kind of music really suits her and her lyrical skating. Every time she does that spiral and holds it, it's a moment. I wouldn't even mind if she skated to a classical warhorse next year- I don't think I would mind.

Carolina Kostner SP: C
Honestly, I don't think this did much at all for her skating. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but I think the drums were distracting and didn't really show off what is so nice about Carolina's skating. I appreciate that she tried something different, but this didn't work for me.

Mao Asada FP: A-
It's a shame we never got to see this program skated well, because I grew to love it. While I never liked the short, I thought the free was a very nice arrangement and could have been a moment for Mao if she nailed it. Pretty much everything Mao does is brilliant, and she will be missed greatly in the sport.

Special shoutout: Mariah Bell FP
Mariah did her best Nancy Kerrigan to this cheese-fest of a program, and I loved every bit of it.

Pairs:

Sui/Han FP: A
I would not be surprised if this program sticks around for the Olympic year, because this is everything. There are tons of choreographic subtleties and moves that are so amazing to watch. Throw all the PCS at them, judges.

Savchenko/Massot SP: A
There were a lot of teams who tried this fun concept this year, and every team fell flat in comparison to S/M's interpretation of That Man. There was a lot of face and a lot of interesting choreography, from bumping to swaying to skipping, that was incorporated nicely with the music. It didn't feel forced or awkward at all.

Savchenko/Massot FP: A-
I liked how big of a contrast this program was to the short, and they performed it with equal commitment and passion. It's such a beautiful piece of music, and though I was worried about how Bruno would manage such a lyrical program, he did an admirable job. Someone brought up how it looked like a P/C program, and I can't deny the similarity.

Duhamel/Radford FP: C+
There's nothing wrong with this music, but it just did not work for Duhamel and Radford. They are athletic and powerful skaters, and there are teams who do classical and romantic better than they do. This program had no impact on me, and I don't think it would have had any impact even if they had skated it well. They need music that has strength and power to complement their explosive elements and attack, and this wasn't it.

Tarasova/Morozov FP: D+
Thank God we do not have to see this again. They tried, they really did, but I don't really think this program would work for anyone. I don't think T/M have found their style yet, and at this point are just a pairs team who can do the elements consistently and get the high scores. I suppose it doesn't matter what they skate to, since they're getting 9's anyway.

Iliushechkina/Moscovitch FP: A-
Yes, it's cheesy. Yes, it's Josh Groban. I. Don't. Care. These two have gorgeous extensions and chemistry and construct programs so well. They have wonderful entries into their death spiral, lift, and great timing with the music on the throw triple loop. They make me smile every time they skate, and I love watching them perform- they look like they enjoy what they're doing so much.

Special Shoutout: James/Cipres FP
Steamy. So steamy.

Dance:

Virtue/Moir SD: A+
More like A++++++. The class of the field when it came to the short dance this year, and it wasn't even close. I'd throw all the 10's at them. The music, the choreography, the rhythm, everything was on point and they deserved the gap they had over the field every time.

Papadakis/Cizeron FD: A
Every time you watch this duo, it's hard to remember to breathe. They create art on ice, and it's like watching a painter create a new masterpiece every time. They offer something that contrasts what V/M do, and it's going to be very interesting to see what happens next year with the judges.

Chock/Bates FD: C+
I never liked this program. I appreciate its uniqueness and the fact that they went to new places, but to me it didn't work.

Gilles/Poirier FD: A+
My personal favourite free dance of the year. It was a little less "outside the box" than we're used to from Piper and Paul, but I loved this so much. The music was beautiful and I loved the intensity with which they skated to it. I don't follow ice dance too often but I think I watched this at least 10 times throughout the course of the season. I especially love how they stay in character until they're completely off the ice.

Weaver/Poje FD: A-
As much as Aranjuez probably deserves Warhorse status, I think it fit this team, and certainly was a better free dance than the one they had last year. I liked the costumes and how much more natural this seemed than programs of years past.

Special Shoutout: Gilles/Poirier SD
Cause it's just so wild.

I know I didn't discuss all the programs- it's impossible. What were other programs you guys enjoyed and didn't enjoy this season?

gsyzf

Medalist
So in summary: everyone's FP is worse than his/her SP?

Last edited:

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
I LOVED Eric ' s music for Patrick. It took me 5 tries to watch his fs because every time I'd stop watching and start choreographing in my room out of blue. It is such a beautiful, inspiring piece.

Great thread and great opening post! :rock:

Here's my contribution. Best music for ice dance: the two couples who did the Pas de deux from Nutcracker.

Last edited:

Rissa

Record Breaker
I think James /Cipres deserve more than just a shoutout.Their both programs are A+ in my opinion I when they performed them at Europeans.