Russian Culture question | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Russian Culture question

mrrice

Record Breaker
Oh great....:palmf: now you have made me hungry for Borscht and Meatballs.....how spicy is it?

Well, I'm kind of weird but, I really liked the Meatballs and the Broth. I think the sour cream had horseradish in it so it was definitely good for your sinuses and spectacular when it's cold outside..

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
As an everyday Russian I hope that with Trump things will change for the better. I have little respect to Obama. The last thing he did looks like a petty revenge adequate for a child not for a world leader: kicking out 35 diplomats with their families right at the New Year's eve, closing a school and recreational facilities which were set up during the Cold War when we were actual rivals and enemies because Communist ideology proclaimed the task to destroy capitalism. Well, even then those facilities were open to Soviet Union diplomats and their families.

What Putin did was adequate for a world leader. He said that we could but we would not do the same: everyone will stay, facilities will not be closed. Because he hopes that with the new president their will be "a new hope" which he does not want to destroy playing tit for tat with a "lame duck".

This is the first time when I disagree with you.. Trump is not a US president quaity.. I very carefully drafted..

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
This is the first time when I disagree with you.. Trump is not a US president quaity.. I very carefully drafted..

I cannot dispute this. And I said somewhere that my good American friend whom I visited in Mendocino this October said the same. I just have an opinion that similar to this board the Russians (myself included) tend to respond when provoked. Unlike FS, though, Russia and Putin himself fully understand that economically we cannot seriously challenge America - our economy is just 10% of the U.S. But we have some pride driven by the former glory. That's why we cannot swallow everything that falls on us. So once the unfortunate chain of events started Russia started to retaliate. With Trump whatever qualities he has there is the hope that we might not be friends with America but at least we won't be enemies. This hope may be wrong, but human beings tend to hope for the better. With Hillary there was no hope.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Why do so many Russians give their dogs Anglo names like Sam, Jerry, Charlie, Dexter, etc.? Just curious :) Is this a widespread trend or just a figure skater thing? What are some other common pet names in Russia?

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
haha idk
I dont have a pet but out of the top of my head lots of dogs do have foreign names

My boss has a dog name of Skif :biggrin: or endearment like Skifasha etc:biggrin:

Here's the list of popular names I found

http://www.zooclub.ru/name/populyarnye_klichki_sobak.shtml

For boys (male dogs? I dont know the right english term:laugh:)
Archie
Tyson
Jack
Reks
Hatiko :)laugh:)
Dick
Lord
Gry
Baron
Rich
Casper

For female
Bonya
Jessie
Alma
Lucky
Bagira
Alpha
Gerda

popular russian name for dogs I know is Druzhok (friend)

Last edited:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Dog names in our family:

Charli
Poppi
Kati Louise
Wilbur
Peppermint Patti
Candi Cane
Mugsy
Cinnamon
Seamus
Triona
Ruben
Prudence
PC
Dancer
Nitne
Puck
Ludo
Jezbel
Shavaun
Angel
Gabriel
Baylin
Skylar

Cat Names:
Tallulah (Tuli)
Fergus
Rufus
Clyde
Jade
Wall-E
Data
Boots
Munchkin
Molly
Nikko
Khalil
Oliver
Issak
Boris
Vivian
Chief
Patches
Gracie
Patchouli
Jellicles
Paddycat
Chick
Peaches
Et al.....
(We all work in the veterinary field and do multiple rescues..... :slink:

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
ha I'd be up to name my dog or cat Wall-E!:laugh::agree:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
ha I'd be up to name my dog or cat Wall-E!:laugh::agree:

Kitty ... sleeping on my left arm as I type this. He's very smart with neverending curiosity... loves dogs