Too old to skate competitively? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Too old to skate competitively?

ribbit

On the Ice
Also, you can look up for videos of Surya Bonaly, Mae Berenice Meite (for singles) and Vanessa James (for pairs).

Also 2-time US champion, World champion, and Olympic bronze medalist Debi Thomas, and the rising young American skater Starr Andrews. You're right that skaters of African descent have been seriously underrepresented in the sport, but there are/have been some terrific exceptions.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And Emmanuel Savary from US Nationals.

vlaurend

Final Flight
Hi, Jessie! I didn't start skating until I was 27 and due to my work schedule, I didn't start taking private lessons and getting serious about it until I was 37. In spite of my late start, I actually managed to master all of the single jumps and even get one double jump pretty consistent (double salchow). If I could do that at my age, you could probably master all of the double jumps, and of course all of the spins (provided you work on your flexibility under the supervision of someone who knows how to teach correct stretching).
As for nobody looking like you, I know a girl who is also a 15-year old African American and who is also tiny for her age. Her name is Starr Andrews and she just took 2nd place at the Junior level (that's the level just before the Senior level, which are the ones who go to the Olympics). Keep an eye on her over the next few seasons and let her be your inspiration! :D Watch her in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88H2IIbpk5k

P.S. Rental skates suck. Nobody can skate well in them and everyone thinks they are uncoordinated and have "weak ankles" when they try to skate in them. The rinks also don't keep the blades very sharp so you will slip around a lot. So don't think you're uncoordinated. Get your own skates and make sure you get them from a professional skate shop where they know how to measure your feet and suggest the brand of boot that will fit your foot the best. Do NOT get really stiff boots because you don't weigh very much and you'll never be able to break them in.

Last edited:

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I'm 15, going to be 16 this year, but I'm very slim; I weigh 89 pounds, and stand at 4'10. Figure skating has always been a dream of mine but I never felt I had any hopes of pursuing it seriously because up until recently, my family was not financially stable; and in addition to that, I never saw anyone participating who resembled me, so that was discouraging (I am African American). It saddens me now because I worry that I am too old to ever hope to seriously compete, plus I have NEVER skated on ice in my LIFE. At all. I wouldn't say I'm looking to go to the Olympics or anything; but I do want to get past the basics, get to the jumps and perhaps compete on a national level. Figure skating is my favorite sport; I adore the combined grace and athleticism and this year I wanted to take the first steps by taking ballet and basic ice skating first. Is it worth it, or are my goals wishful? Should I just forget about it? :scratch2:

Ok listen.. I started figure skating when I was 15 years old. I had my first preliminary level competition that year. By the time I was 16 and a half I was competing in pre novice going to my novice tests etc. Never too late to start.. hey you may not win an olympic medal but of coarse you can compete.. Even adults that start skating compete. There is a guy that started skating I know, he was 44 at the time. He entered adult competitions. You can definitely do it! It does require a fair amount of ice time and coaching though. You can't do it with out that. I was probably skating about 10-12 hours a week including before and after school on certain days and weekends.