Too old? | Golden Skate

Too old?

Karinaeri

Spectator
Hello. Firstly i want to say sorry for my bad english. I am a girl from sweden that doesnt know english that well.
I am 13 years old and soon 14. I cannot start figuring skating until december next year for personal reasons so i will be around 15 when i start.
I have money for private lessons but in sweden it is not possible to have private lessons because they are strictly for elite skaters, swedens population is pretty small and not enough coaches are here to coach pupils. I will start with group lessons as recommended by people online. I have 2 ice rinks near me so i think i will pratice often. Im thinking maybe 3-5 times a week. Is it possible for me to land an axel before i turn 17? i am very passionate about this sport and will try hard and even train everyday if needed. i do not want to be good to compete or anything like that. I want to be good for myself only. Is it realistic? i am very flexible if that is relevant.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's never to late to learn skating! What's important is that your goals are realistic. You said you want to skate for yourself, so always keep that in mind when looking for a coach. Find one that teaches good basic skating skills before thinking about jumps!

It's good that you are in group right now. Take it slowly and enjoy the journey. Perfect what you learn and learn from others. If you still feel you want a coach, there are a number of clubs you can reach out to to ask for help in networking. Get your parents involved.

Here is a short list:

Good luck!

tinna

Spectator
I would think your goal is reasonable. As you are from Sweden you probably know how to skate already, recreational skating, even if you haven't had any specific figure skating lessons yet. Good luck and enjoy skating!

tinna

Spectator
thank you! I only know how to skare at a newbie level but im a very good snowboarder XD
I am sure it will help that you are very good at snowboarding.
I started figure skating at 41 years young, I am now 45 and have an axel and am working on doubles. I am Finnish though, so I knew how to skate around, I had played ice hockey etc. before starting actual figure skating.
I really think you will enjoy skating, and land that axel in no time. Plus, you will have easy access to ice time in Sweden.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
If you put effort into it and have a half decent coach that’s completely attainable. Here’s my story.. I started skating on hockey skates when I was 15 in my back yard. I tried figure skating moves as I saw them on tv .. my mom enrolled me in figure skating at a local club.. with in 3 months I was doing axels, working on double jumps. By the time I was 16.5 I had all my double jumps and combos. So yes you absolutely can do it!,

kinari

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Hello. Firstly i want to say sorry for my bad english. I am a girl from sweden that doesnt know english that well.
I am 13 years old and soon 14. I cannot start figuring skating until december next year for personal reasons so i will be around 15 when i start.
I have money for private lessons but in sweden it is not possible to have private lessons because they are strictly for elite skaters, swedens population is pretty small and not enough coaches are here to coach pupils. I will start with group lessons as recommended by people online. I have 2 ice rinks near me so i think i will pratice often. Im thinking maybe 3-5 times a week. Is it possible for me to land an axel before i turn 17? i am very passionate about this sport and will try hard and even train everyday if needed. i do not want to be good to compete or anything like that. I want to be good for myself only. Is it realistic? i am very flexible if that is relevant.
Yeah it seems like a pretty reasonable goal :) Don't forget to do off ice to help with your jumps! <3