Should Sasha put the Biellmen spin in her programs? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Should Sasha put the Biellmen spin in her programs?

Should Sasha put the Biellmen spin in her programs?

• Yes! She has awesome flexibility- why not use it for something more challenging?

Votes: 60 43.5%
  • No!

Votes: 63 45.7%
  • I don't know

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I can't decide

Votes: 4 2.9%

• Total voters

Frau Muller

Final Flight
No. That would add nothing to what she already can demonstrate. Instead, she should work on improving her natural sparkle & musicality. Skating to the music, not through it like a robot.

luvmk

Spectator
biellman

sasha did hold her leg up, and I second the guess that the camaraman just caught the end of it. The video of Campbell's 03 is on cruelladekwan.com. Look under "Other skater"

Kally H.

Spectator
I know that is hardly related to the topic but look at this picture. The girl is Anna Gurbanova, rhythmic gymnast, and doesn't hold her leg. If the picture of Sasha is defying the laws of physics, what could we say about that? As we know, Sasha has trained rhythmic gymnastics in her childhood, so the Biellman shouldn't be a great challenge for her. The fact she hasn't it in her programs says a) she has back injury, b) she finds it extremly ugly, or c) she just doesn't think she needs it. If it is c) or b), I agree with her - the way skaters perform Biellman spin is ugly and they all look as they somehow try to hang themselves on their hands while doing it. Sasha doesn't need another "beautiful" move, and I, apparently, voted against it(as if it matters :) ).

Last edited:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
She definitely should. As wonderfully flexable as my girl is, Sasha is undisputably just as flexable, and possably even more so. She is allowing Irina to gain an advantage in points, that she is capable of not giving. If she doesnt do it, it is the same as people who cant do it who also arent.

Vash01

Medalist
. The two have different kind of flexibility. Sasha should do what she does well, and improve her edges and power. She already has many innovative moves and positions, but I don't think Sasha has deep edges. She needs to work on better control and power.

For the sake of getting more points I would think Sasha should do Bielman spirals forwards and backwards and with edge changes. It gets a Level 3 and with GOE +3. As to the Bielman spin, if her back is ok, she should do these forwards and backwards for the Level 3 score and it doesn't matter if she travels on them, she will get a GOE +3.

And all this is what Figure Skating is turning into. Points, Points, Points. via the acrobatic route. That's what counts. More convoluted Pair lifts are on the rise. Acrobatics is the thing!

Joe

Skatehappy

Rinkside
Kally H. said:
I know that is hardly related to the topic but look at this picture. The girl is Anna Gurbanova, rhythmic gymnast, and doesn't hold her leg.

The contortion that the gymnast is doing is just not attractive! As for skating, when an element is just thrown into the program in order to get points, and is not part of the physical narrative of the program, it denigrates the sport. A program that doesn't flow but hops from one element to another in a desperate search for points is just plain ugly.

Last edited:

luvsasha

Final Flight
if she wants to, she should. I'm sure she could do a great Biellman spin. she sure has the flexibility!