SD Music Choices for the Olympic Season | Page 3 | Golden Skate

SD Music Choices for the Olympic Season

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
as I have some choices already noted in my tiny FS notebook...

- Selena medley - Elena and Ruslan, they would embody just perfectly that playful Latin vibe of Selena's music I feel

- Santana medley - my dream combo is 'Maria' and 'Oye como va' :love:, I see Stepanova/Bukin doing this, Tessa/Scott or WeaPo

- Buena Vista Social Club - it would require a lot of care and thought to put together a full BVSC program, saving that Cuban feel in it, but I think that Gabriella and Guillaume would pull this off, that private dancing at the beach feel, Cuban vibes...

- Marc Anthony 'Valio la pena' - this is one of my faves to improvise with Latin style, would love to see it in step sequence, maybe Tessa and Scott?

- Sergio Mendes 'Magalenha' - it has to be included somewhere, my dream is WeaPo doing this

On a general note, I'm looking forward to see with what Piper and Paul will come up for SD, I'd freaking love to see them doing some Salsa/Bachata pure Latin vibe dance!!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nOQ7yXrjQIk

M'Beddemi - Cheikh Lo

An Afro-Cuban twist to a BVSC favorite... Have loved this version for years and years. :love:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
"Backstreet's Back" by the Backstreet Boys could work for McNamara/Carpenter. I mean they did an exhibition to "I Want it That Way" last season and I thought they did well.

this is quite an interesting take to think about this whole Latin theme of Olympic season's SD, I recently tried to select some relatively new songs, like pop ones, which would be in line with rhythms, or some modern arrangements of classics and honestly - it would work, but the team has to be right, like You said, Lorraine and Quinn have this edge to pull it off I think, same for Parsons to be honest. Then, the whole mix of songs should be cohesive and fluid to avoid 'WTH?!' on transitioning. And the music should not be busy, like 50 various cuts...

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
this is quite an interesting take to think about this whole Latin theme of Olympic season's SD, I recently tried to select some relatively new songs, like pop ones, which would be in line with rhythms, or some modern arrangements of classics and honestly - it would work, but the team has to be right, like You said, Lorraine and Quinn have this edge to pull it off I think, same for Parsons to be honest. Then, the whole mix of songs should be cohesive and fluid to avoid 'WTH?!' on transitioning. And the music should not be busy, like 50 various cuts...

And I completely agree. With this, skaters will definitely have to be able to have one song transition into another song without having it be awkward. Three sections should be the max. Because well, Rhumba has to be there and also samba or cha-cha.

humbaba

Final Flight
An Afro-Cuban twist to a BVSC favorite... Have loved this version for years and years. :love:

I've been listening to a lot of African rhumba music and find it an interesting alternative to traditional Latin rhumba. I hope some teams use African rhumba next season.

Last edited:

Vanessa13

Spectator
Can anyone name this song? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6-p076Lcaw

I could see I/Z doing this. The epitome of fun. But just how skimpy of a costume can women get away with next season? Hmmm....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWzPqsfZqqM

Or this Swing Da Cor Daniela ....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH5IrP1HpYM

Hello Bramweld, about the first song... I am brazilian so I wish I could answer this question but I can't recognize this Samba because it is not a samba....

First of all, Samba is from Brazil and here in Brazil we speak Portuguese. This music is in Spanish language.

It is important to understand that, although Brazil is part of Latin America geografically, the musical culture is very different, especially because of the Language. I mean, salsa, rhumba, and more recently reggaeton, bachata all this latin rhytms are all over latin america, but not here in Brazil. For example, all the most famous singers from Latin America don't play at brazilian radio, the major brazilian public don't know the songs that are popular at Latin America. We listen to brazilian music and American Music and that's it. It is more likely to an American person recognizes a Marc Anthony,Romeo Santos song than a brazilian.

It is confusing because ballroom dance schools at North America lack this basic knowledge, and they changed most of steps of samba.
Here in Brazil we call Ballroom Samba as "Samba de Gafieira", one example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jomyRaLPhyI

About the singer Daniela Mercury and her song called "Swing da Cor":
What a surprise to see they ballroom dance this song!! This is crazy. This song is far, far away to be called "Samba".
This kind of rhythm is called "Axé". This is an Axé song and Daniela is one of the first singers to turn this rhythm popular, back in 1991. She is from Bahia, in the northeast of Brazil, the majority of population there is African descendant. They created Axé Music and African influence can be seen in Axé dance. You can see in this performance below how they dance with African religion "Candomblé" dance movements. It is a rhythm that we dance solo, not together, so could never be a ballroom dance. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HyVsnOGgQI

And, Lastly, I would like to see Shibsibs dance Marc Anthony's "Vivir Mi Vida", because it's not a love song so it is more suitable for them.

(I made my registration on this forum only to reply your post, so excuse me my poor english!)

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Hello Bramweld, about the first song... I am brazilian so I wish I could answer this question but I can't recognize this Samba because it is not a samba....

First of all, Samba is from Brazil and here in Brazil we speak Portuguese. This music is in Spanish language.

It is important to understand that, although Brazil is part of Latin America geografically, the musical culture is very different, especially because of the Language. I mean, salsa, rhumba, and more recently reggaeton, bachata all this latin rhytms are all over latin america, but not here in Brazil. For example, all the most famous singers from Latin America don't play at brazilian radio, the major brazilian public don't know the songs that are popular at Latin America. We listen to brazilian music and American Music and that's it. It is more likely to an American person recognizes a Marc Anthony,Romeo Santos song than a brazilian.

It is confusing because ballroom dance schools at North America lack this basic knowledge, and they changed most of steps of samba.

What a surprise to see they ballroom dance this song!! This is crazy. This song is far, far away to be called "Samba".
This kind of rhythm is called "Axé". This is an Axé song and Daniela is one of the first singers to turn this rhythm popular, back in 1991. She is from Bahia, in the northeast of Brazil, the majority of population there is African descendant. They created Axé Music and African influence can be seen in Axé dance. You can see in this performance below how they dance with African religion "Candomblé" dance movements. It is a rhythm that we dance solo, not together, so could never be a ballroom dance. :)

And, Lastly, I would like to see Shibsibs dance Marc Anthony's "Vivir Mi Vida", because it's not a love song so it is more suitable for them.

(I made my registration on this forum only to reply your post, so excuse me my poor english!)

Thank you for that information! I found to be really helpful. And yes, another vote for "Vivir Mi Vida" for the Shibs.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker

Welcome and thank you for the information! Please post often.

Barb

Record Breaker

I don´t follow much reggaeton, but I thought that it was popular in Brazil because I heard portuguese in the song Danza Kuduru, I thought Don Omar was Brazilian :hopelessness:. And now, after read your post I investigated, and Don Omar is Puerto Rican, and the portuguese part is by a guy called Lucenzo who is not brazilian, he is Franc-portuguese. omg, I lived years in a lie :eek::

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
what will be interesting to see is if some teams are "making up music" to fit the rules without really following the theme....

mrrice

Record Breaker
Can the Dance Teams use Lyrics? If so, as mentioned earlier, I think Miami Sound Machine's "Rhythm Is Gonna Get You" might work well for Madison Chock and Evan Bates. I never would have thought that before this season but things have changed. Evan might not look like it, but he can work it.....:party2: If not, they could try "Turn The Beat Around" Perfect for a strong Twizzle Section. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inHwBUo9Pzk

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Can the Dance Teams use Lyrics? If so, as mentioned earlier, I think Miami Sound Machine's "Rhythm Is Gonna Get You" might work well for Madison Chock and Evan Bates. I never would have thought before this season. Evan might not look like it, but he work it.....:party2: If not, they could try "Turn The Beat Around" Perfect for a strong Twizzle Section. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inHwBUo9Pzk

Yes, they can use lyrics, dance was the first discipline to allow it. :)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hate to say anything as a casual ID fan, but if a team does a good routine to Aquarela do Brasil (and no sex, could work for the Shibs ;)) I will love them and watch them.

I know that it could very well veer to cheese as well:drama:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
A meshing of Gloria Estefan's two versions of Oye Mi Canto.
My money is on one or several teams using Dr. Beat by Miami Sound Machine. It would be ingenious to mix it with Mylo's Doctor Pressure which samples it.

Shibs is my call. But H/D or V/M could kill it as well.

@Mrrice, I also like your suggestion of "Rhythm is Gonna Get Ya"

I'm also expecting to hear a good amount of music from Shakira used.

I miss this music so much, today's music is mostly crappola. :eek:hwell:

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
My money is on one or several teams using Dr. Beat by Miami Sound Machine. It would be ingenious to mix it with Mylo's Doctor Pressure which samples it.

Yes on Shakira....."Eyes Like Yours" would be great for a short dance.......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqOeOvAEL9s

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

i am trying desperately to look for rhumba from the 1830-1900... definitely music nowadays sucks