Two new ski jumping world records! | Golden Skate

Two new ski jumping world records!

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Yesterday was an exciting ski jumping day - we've seen two new world records!
First Robert Johansson 252m and then Stefan Kraft 253,5m!
Comparison

Today they have another competition (yesterday was a team event) in Vikersund, Norway. But I doubt than this new record of 253,5m is going to be beaten, it seems to be the limit of this ski jumping hill which is the largest in the world. And Stefan Kraft is a small, light guy and his jumps have a flat trajectory so his chances of landing a far jump are very good and he obviously had difficulties landing this jump.
For the record - the furthest jump still is Dimitry Vassiliev's 254m jump on the same hill two years ago. He's a comparetively big guy for a ski jumper and he didn't have a chance landing this jump safely.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I only managed to see second series, but the competition was super exciting! I hope today also will be :) I love that time of the year when there are only Ski Flying competitions left :luv17: Poland have not won, but I'm super happy anyway :) And so many life records were beaten during this competition :) That's so awesome for so many guys! :cheer:

ralucutzagy

Final Flight
The last competition in the Raw Air tournament its about to start. Do you have any ideea who's in first place after yesterday? Kraft of Wellinger?

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
The last competition in the Raw Air tournament its about to start. Do you have any ideea who's in first place after yesterday? Kraft of Wellinger?

Wellinger. But his advantage is pretty small.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Yes, about 6 points only. This is going to be so exciting! I need chocolate and I don't often need that ...

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Yes, about 6 points only. This is going to be so exciting! I need chocolate and I don't often need that ...

I almost ate awhole bar of chocolate yestreday while watching :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Start delayed until half past, so I'll ask your opinions.

Do you think Kraft's jump in the Team Comp was legal?

From the behind and side shots, it looked like his bum hit the snow. But, from the front shot, it looked like there was a wee slither of air between them.

The marks on the snow behind him were already there when he landed, so there was no sign of a touch on the snow.

Personally, after seeing the front shot, I think it was fine.

As for Johansson, I felt so sorry that he did not get a telemark landing, and so lost a pile of points. Because he deserved it with the way his season has turned around!

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Does anybody know the reason for the delay?

I'm just wondering if NRK is showing the Biathlon, and if they are waiting until a decision is made over whether the win is going stand or not.

I hope not, because this decision could take some time. And the longer the ski jumping is delayed, the less of the Women's GS will be shown on Eurosport. And I want to see that.

EDIT: Never mind. We are flying now!

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I think it was fine but I'm not impartial. Walter Hofer said that a slight touch is acceptable and he should know. But I was curious as well. Other Nations could have protested but they didn't. German Eurosport just says that Kraft himself said that he felt something but that he thinks that it was the boots or the binding because he immediately checked his suit and it wasn't wet.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I think it was fine but I'm not impartial. Walter Hofer said that a slight touch is acceptable and he should know. But I was curious as well. Other Nations could have protested but they didn't. German Eurosport just says that Kraft himself said that he felt something but that he thinks that it was the boots or the binding because he immediately checked his suit and it wasn't wet.

Well, the main thing is that he did land it. Because at that distance, it can't have been easy to land.

But what an achievement for both guys. And for Vikersund getting 2 World Records in one day.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens at Planica next week...

(Although, I haven't checked yet but I have a feeling the ski flying competitions are going to overlap with the MotoGP. So I'll probably be taping the ski flying).

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
We're for some far flying today as well! :cheer:

Planica is always exciting, I expect some suprises from Slovenians :)

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

True. If yesterday is anything to go by, today is going to be epic.

As for the Slovenians, I'm not so sure. If Robert Kranjec was there, I would be expecting great things. But, he's out injured, and the others have gone off the boil in recent weeks.

But, wait till you see. Now that I've said that, they'll go brilliantly today! :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria

I'm most anxious for Domen Prevc today. I get chills when he's in the air flying at the moment ...
Right now the Norwegians are really good, the Slovenians are a bit underperforming. But of course, Planica is their hill and it's always a great end to the season!

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I'm most anxious for Domen Prevc today. I get chills when he's in the air flying at the moment ...
Right now the Norwegians are really good, the Slovenians are a bit underperforming. But of course, Planica is their hill and it's always a great end to the season!

I can't understand why Domen is even here. I thought there was a rule that you had to be 18 to go ski flying. And he's still 17.

Or, have I just got the minimum age wrong?

CaroLiza_fan

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I can't understand why Domen is even here. I thought there was a rule that you had to be 18 to go ski flying. And he's still 17.

Or, have I just got the minimum age wrong?

CaroLiza_fan
He turns 18 in June, so maybe the rule is similar to the eligibility rule in figure skating?
Noriaki! :hap10:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Noriaki :love:

Slovenians are doing well, as I thought :) They must really like flying :biggrin:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
So after first series Wellinger is still a leader of Raw Air and Kraft still a leader of World Cup.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
He turns 18 in June, so maybe the rule is similar to the eligibility rule in figure skating?
Noriaki! :hap10:

Could be. Thanks for the answer.

Sorry I didn't get to thank you sooner, my Mum was on the computer.

And good to see some more Nori Kasai fans on here! ;) :biggrin:

I was going to say it's a pity that he hasn't been doing as well this year. But, the whole Japanese Men's team haven't been doing as well this year.

Hopefully things will go better for them next season.

Interval already. I keep forgetting that there's only 40 in the first round in ski flying. It goes so quickly. :drama:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
OK, during the delays before the Team Comp was re-started yesterday, I sent an e-mail to David Goldstrom. But, he didn't read it out. :disapp:

So, I'll post the main part of it on here to gauge your opinions (the start was correcting an answer he gave to another viewer who had e-mailed him):

CaroLiza_fan said:
As for RAW AIR, on the whole I have enjoyed this new Tournee. Although, I feel that it could be improved by having 1 rest day in the middle, like we have with the 4 Hills. Perhaps between Trondheim and Vikersund.

How would you feel about having three Tournees within each season?

• A Finnish Tournee at the start of the season (Lahti, Kuopio, Ruka)
  • An Alpine Tournee (i.e. The 4 Hills) in the middle of the season (Oberstdorf, Garmisch, Innsbruch, Bischofshofen)
  • A Norwegian Tournee (i.e. RAW AIR) at the end of the season (Holmenkollen, Lillehammer, Trondheim, Vikersund)

It would add an interesting new dynamic to the season.

So, what are your thoughts about RAW AIR, and my idea of having 3 Tournees?

CaroLiza_fan

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Interval already. I keep forgetting that there's only 40 in the first round in ski flying. It goes so quickly. :drama:

CaroLiza_fan

Me too! I was confused at first when after 10 first competitiors the commentators started talked about qualified competitors...