Rika Kihira tried 4T | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Rika Kihira tried 4T

frida80

Record Breaker
For the second day trying this it's very very good. It's always nice to see that young skaters trying to do something difficult. Russian coaches should be aware. Because backloading and tano/rippons won't help them vs quads/3axels.

I'm pretty sure a Russian girl is landing a 3A.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Good. Men are doing things some people said men couldn't do.

All of the quads have been landed in practice by various men since the 1990's. It wasn't that people couldn't possibly do it, rather it was a question of executing it perfectly (something that used to be valued but isn't anymore) and consistently. The scoring system now favors as many quads as possible, regardless of unclean landings, so people are actually focusing on it now. Technology improvements have also allowed skaters to improve their ability to consistently rotate (although often not completely backwards) and land the jumps.

Also, it should be noted that mainly only boy-ish bodies are able to do these jumps relatively consistently. Not "men", actually. The sport is currently in favor of extremely twinky skaters, rather than the more muscular bodies that are considered more athletic and physically appealing and "champion-like". It's easier to rotate skating jumps when your body type is simply more compact and less weighty. The original quad king Timothy Goebel, who is physically smaller than Yagudin and Plushenko and was considered overly boyish in comparison, would now seem positively elder if you compare him from 2002 to this current Hanyu/Chen/Uno/Boyang/etc situation that we have going on.

Last edited:

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
I'm pretty sure a Russian girl is landing a 3A.

I saw two girls Sasha Trusova and Anastasia Gulyakova. But I'm not sure about them. Axels require strong legs. What about skaters with type like Zhenya and Alina. I mean, if you have so many talented girls, why don't you try to do something difficult. Why do you stand where you are? It's way to nowhere. Just like skaters learned to jump triples instead doubles. And now if you are leader, you must move this sport higher and higher. Not stand and watching. And I'm glad that Japanese coaches understand it. But yeah, if many men jumping only triples, what to discuss about girls...

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
What about skaters with type like Zhenya and Alina.

These two skaters have pretty much maxed out the TES scoring possibilities without a 3A or quad. Until another skater can get to those scores, I don't see why Evgenia or Alina would do anything other than maintain the reliability of the triples they already do.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Wow! I don't want any girl to injure herself but can't deny I'm really looking forward to this girl in the senior circuit. A female skater who is not only doing a 3A but a quad is a welcome change from the boring same old layout that ladies present us for years now. A program with both included should break the records for sure.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I saw two girls Sasha Trusova and Anastasia Gulyakova. But I'm not sure about them. Axels require strong legs. What about skaters with type like Zhenya and Alina. I mean, if you have so many talented girls, why don't you try to do something difficult. Why do you stand where you are? It's way to nowhere. Just like skaters learned to jump triples instead doubles. And now if you are leader, you must move this sport higher and higher. Not stand and watching. And I'm glad that Japanese coaches understand it. But yeah, if many men jumping only triples, what to discuss about girls...

Didn't Plushenko famously say something along the lines, only men do quads everything else is Ladies' skating? :shocked:

It's strange how even the 2 Axel is something of a problem jump for the Russian skaters. Our commentators even said on TV once that the japanese ladies are more likely to land triple axels than the russians. I think this is the only strategy to beat the currently dominating programs from the Tuberidze team. It probably won't happen in 2018, but 2022 I'm sure the Ladies will have upped the ante.

frida80

Record Breaker
These two skaters have pretty much maxed out the TES scoring possibilities without a 3A or quad. Until another skater can get to those scores, I don't see why Evgenia or Alina would do anything other than maintain the reliability of the triples they already do.

In other words either Mao or Rika will have to beat them with their 3As. I don't think it will happen for Mao, since she doesn't have a consistent 3+3. But Rika is a possibility if she can develop more artistically.

I did the math. Theoretically someone with a 3A an 3F or 3Lz +3T back loaded and solo loop, all levels, good positive GOE and with PCS at least at 33 would score around 80.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't care if carrots are attached or not or how it appears on the scorecards. If landed in competition it should score more than a triple salchow IMO :yes: I'm sure they'll get it wrong though :laugh:

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
All of the quads have been landed in practice by various men since the 1990's. It wasn't that people couldn't possibly do it, rather it was a question of executing it perfectly (something that used to be valued but isn't anymore) and consistently. The scoring system now favors as many quads as possible, regardless of unclean landings, so people are actually focusing on it now. Technology improvements have also allowed skaters to improve their ability to consistently rotate (although often not completely backwards) and land the jumps.

Also, it should be noted that mainly only boy-ish bodies are able to do these jumps relatively consistently. Not "men", actually. The sport is currently in favor of extremely twinky skaters, rather than the more muscular bodies that are considered more athletic and physically appealing and "champion-like". It's easier to rotate skating jumps when your body type is simply more compact and less weighty. The original quad king Timothy Goebel, who is physically smaller than Yagudin and Plushenko and was considered overly boyish in comparison, would now seem positively elder if you compare him from 2002 to this current Hanyu/Chen/Uno/Boyang/etc situation that we have going on.

lmao hahaha

SkaterX

On the Ice
This is awesome! I also think it'd be great to see more muscular ladies in this sport working on 3A and/or quads like Mirai and Surya Bonaly back in the day. Right now it seems that mostly the youngest/tiniest ladies are trying them.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland

Btw. I've also seen video from local competition with some other junior Japanese lady not named Kihira attempting 3A. She fell, and I am unsure about what specific tech call she received but it was a nice attempt and I liked her technique. What was her name? Could that be Yuhana Yokoi?

Last edited:

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Btw. I've also seen video from local competition with some other junior Japanese lady not named Kihira attempting 3A. She fell, and I am unsure about what specific tech call she received but it was a nice attempt and I liked her technique. What was her name? Could that be Yuhana Yokoi?

If it's from a video, yes, most likely Yuhana Yokoi. But Yuhana is not the only one attempting 3A. In the recent local competition from Aichi, at least 3 female competitors tried 3A: Yohana (3A<<), Takeuchi Sui (3A<), and Yohana's younger sister, Kinayo (who skates in Novice A, got 3A<<).

frida80

Record Breaker
If it's from a video, yes, most likely Yuhana Yokoi. But Yuhana is not the only one attempting 3A. In the recent local competition from Aichi, at least 3 female competitors tried 3A: Yohana (3A<<), Takeuchi Sui (3A<), and Yohana's younger sister, Kinayo (who skates in Novice A, got 3A<<).

We have reach the age of 3A.

frida80

Record Breaker
Zhenya and Zagitova forced it.

They did. I also think Nathan may have had a hand in it too. He just jumps more higher scoring jumps than his competition. It used to be that everyone would just copy what the winner did and hope for the best. Now, they will just think ahead. The best way to beat Zagitova? Jump 2 3A and a 4T. Good luck with catching that in BV.

da96103

Record Breaker
They did. I also think Nathan may have had a hand in it too. He just jumps more higher scoring jumps than his competition. It used to be that everyone would just copy what the winner did and hope for the best. Now, they will just think ahead. The best way to beat Zagitova? Jump 2 3A and a 4T. Good luck with catching that in BV.

Though I think this is for 2022.

YesWay

&#22235;&#24180;&#12418;&#12363;&#12369;&#12390;&#
Record Breaker
Yuhana and her 12-year-old sister practicing 3A's are in this video.

Yuhana lands a beauty of a 3A at 0:35...