Blocked videos by FujiTV | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Blocked videos by FujiTV

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I think if people who would watch on fujitv aren't watching because of YouTube they are allowed to say we own the rights and they are damaging us.

What makes you think that? It's extremely speculative and would be difficult to prove.

What interests me is why YouTube allows it. They must be losing money when views are lower. So what are they getting out of it?

gmyers

Record Breaker
What makes you think that? It's extremely speculative and would be difficult to prove.

What interests me is why YouTube allows it. They must be losing money when views are lower. So what are they getting out of it?

I am just grasping at any possibility! Very difficult to prove that one thing is responsible for lower viewership.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I am just grasping at any possibility! Very difficult to prove that one thing is responsible for lower viewership.

Exactly right!

Hmm. I'll think about writing a letter. It's incredibly annoying not to have access to this stuff.

uhh

Medalist

Not being sued by TV networks for hosting content that they do not own the copyright for. Every skating video from a broadcast is on there illegally unless it was uploaded by the TV network themselves. We are just lucky that people could get away with it for so long.

Looks like the men's FS just got taken down... :(

I have a question for Ice Network subscribers: is it possible to cast an IN video on other devices, the way you can cast videos from YouTube? I'm willing to pay to watch figure skating, but my experience during the year I subscribed to Ice Network was of a frustrating, poor-quality user interface and no commentary for major competitions. It didn't seem worth the price.

If I could somehow pay to watch Arena-Match from the USA, I would do it. I love that I can practice my Russian with the videos available on YouTube... it would be sad to see that international aspect of the sport disappear from my corner of the internet.

Plisskin

Medalist
Fujitv has snatched NBC's crown for most anal and annoying network. I wanted to see Misha's FS and it's already "blocked by Fujitv". I really hate this network and this shouldn't be allowed by Youtube. You don't own the rights to Eurosport or Arena Match coverage.

Eclair

Medalist
Looks like the men's FS just got taken down... :(

I have a question for Ice Network subscribers: is it possible to cast an IN video on other devices, the way you can cast videos from YouTube? I'm willing to pay to watch figure skating, but my experience during the year I subscribed to Ice Network was of a frustrating, poor-quality user interface and no commentary for major competitions. It didn't seem worth the price.

If I could somehow pay to watch Arena-Match from the USA, I would do it. I love that I can practice my Russian with the videos available on YouTube... it would be sad to see that international aspect of the sport disappear from my corner of the internet.

I don't know if that would work, but you could try using a vpn and then try a eurosport player subscription? they have the men's LP and the top 7 in the men's sp in their archive. One can pay per PayPal. Don't know if it's going to work with vpn though ..

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
YouTube is the problem, not the objectors. They take an overly broad view of fair use, presumably to avoid lawsuits.

Amei

Record Breaker
This isn't in regard to internet blocking but I always record whatever US channel (NBC Sports or Universal) that shows the competition during the week because it's during the work day...All the events this week only recorded about 15-20 minutes, everything else I recorded did not have this problem only the figure skating competition.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
YouTube is the problem, not the objectors. They take an overly broad view of fair use, presumably to avoid lawsuits.

YouTube may indeed be the problem but I don't see how it's a fair use issue. This is a case where the rights of one copyright holder in their broadcast, Fujitv, are being extended to block access to the copyrighted works (broadcasts by other networks) of others. Effectively they're taking away the rights if CBC, NBC, etc. over their own content. Unless there's something we don't know - for example, perhaps Fujitv is providing the live feed used by CBC, NBC, etc. - that's pretty outrageous.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
It is really crazy. FujiTV (or youtube) blocks the CBC Sports Channel.:rofl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfrPyAWn1rI

I am in the U.S., and I am 99% sure that geo-blocking by CBC is the reason the CBC video is unavailable to me.

Don't think Fuji TV has anything to do with this one.

(And I am not complaining that CBC is geo-blocking. Presumably it purchased media rights only for Canada.)

GF2445

Record Breaker
PSA: How to Capture and Record an iPhone/iPad Screen Video AND Android Screen Video

Take Action before FujiTV does and save the videos off Youtube and Dailymotion for your own personal viewing.
Follow these steps in the link below.

-Really Easy for Mac- If you have Quicktime Player, you are good to go.
https://www.apptamin.com/blog/capture-iphone-ipad-screen-video/

*Unfortunately, these options are not as good as Apple/Mac, but an option for you to use.
http://www.androidauthority.com/best...g-apps-600838/

Last edited:

luckyguy

Match Penalty
I just clicked on it and it played (after a Japanese ad!) . I am in Canada.

I am in the U.S., and I am 99% sure that geo-blocking by CBC is the reason the CBC video is unavailable to me.

Don't think Fuji TV has anything to do with this one.

(And I am not complaining that CBC is geo-blocking. Presumably it purchased media rights only for Canada.)

It is interesting and complicated. For example the new CBC videos (FS Chan and Hanyu, FD Virtue/Moir, FS Osmond and Daleman) are not geo-blocked in Germany. The first CBC video (Yuzuru Hanyu practises at 2017 World Figure Skating Championships) is in Germany not available.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
CBC used the Eurovision livestream. Not anything from FujiTV.

reneerose

Final Flight
The uploader can challenge the copyright infringement notification for videos broadcast in other language if Fuji TV does not own the rights to them. Videos will be reinstated.

Also, if Fuji TV videos qualify under "fair use" (I don't know if they do), then those can be unblocked too.

Uploading people would not probably want to go through the bureaucracy of challenging their right to upload their home recorded videos. Possibly uploaders should think about making unlisted playlists and then providing a link where the unlisted playlist can be found. This happens way too often for other things and yeah it's mostly about music copyright. Blame the music recording industry.

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
So I sent an email to the ISU about this. I explained that (1) I'm located in the US, (2) already pay for access to ISU content thru IceNetwork; (3) can't access Ice Network content via iphone, which limits its usefulness to me; (4) like to watch YouTube video clips of figure skating on my phone; and (5) can no longer do so because Fujitv is blocking video on copyright grounds for content they don't own.

I asked the ISU if they can do anything about it and mentioned I'd be willing to pay for a permanent ISU archive accessible via mobile phone.

I'll post if they respond. 😉