Eteri Tutberidze interview 05.05.2017 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Eteri Tutberidze interview 05.05.2017

tars

Record Breaker
Maybe coaches are different in principle, but any teacher with the kinds of complaints that come from Eteri would be classified as incompetent.
Russian federation should open their eyes and chase the incompetent coach away.

To my country for instance. :biggrin:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I would say: entitled. And too easily given those things they feel they are entitled for.

I agree but, I think it has to do with how they were raised. When my Father said jump, I said, how high. I have personally witnessed students telling their parents "I'm on the phone" and not moving when their parents called them. Parents are being honked at while waiting in lineup to pick up their kids from school and the kids will basically ignore them.

My Father would have gotten out of the car, grabbed me by the shirt and thrown me in the car. They didn't have "CPS" when I was little...;) The thing is, the parents of these kids need to understand that they need Eteri more than she needs them. I can promise you that there are 100 skaters who would love be in Eteri's stable and if these kids want to stay with her, they need to shape up, or move to another coach. What they can't do, is stay and be rude or disruptive.

Last edited:

tars

Record Breaker
Also, she admitted reading internet articles and comments, she must have known about "merciless factory" quotes from critics - she could easily use an interview like this to soften her image, spread some love and tenderness.
Instead, she confirmed all of it and added many controversial details! Like her or not, one got to admire her honesty... :)

russianfan

Match Penalty

I agree but, I think it has to do with how they were raised. When my Father said jump, I said, how high. I have personally witnessed students telling their parents "I'm on the phone" and not moving when their parents called them. Parents are being honked at while waiting in lineup to pick up their kids from school and the kids will basically ignore them.

My Father would have gotten out of the car, grabbed me by the shirt and thrown me in the car. They didn't have "CPS" when I was little...;) The thing is, the parents of these kids need to understand that they need Eteri more than she needs them. I can promise you that there are 100 skaters who would love be in Eteri's stable and if these kids want to stay with her, they need shape up, or move to another coach. What they can't do, is stay and be rude or disruptive.

exactly! if you don't like something about your coach or anything else - just change it, it's that simple

Perfume

Match Penalty
Eteri is a good coach. But she is not for everyone. That's normal. No coach is for everyone. Skaters who couldn't stand her way just move on. Skaters who can survive her methods might thrive on, or not. It depends.
I don't think she will ever be lucky with men skating.

zounger

Medalist
Literally it means "educate", but in a general sense, not academic. More like "develop".

Yes, I think there is an incompatibility in the meaning both in the actual translation (choosing the appropriate word to use) and the context of "education" in west Europe/USA and Russia.

If you look the etymology of the two words. The education comes from "Latin ēdūcere, present active infinitive of ēdūcō (“I lead, draw or take out, forth or away”)". With the meaning of "bring up, rear, educate".

While the "вос-питывать" it has as a root (etymology) the word "feed, nourish ".

This is actually, in my opinion, giving the context of what exactly the difference is between the same concept (of education) but with different origins. Leading to the education to be more of a teacher, school thing and less family in English (West) while in Russian more of a family, paidagogical and then school teacher etc. matter.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Eteri is a good coach. But she is not for everyone. That's normal. No coach is for everyone. Skaters who couldn't stand her way just move on. Skaters who can survive her methods might thrive on, or not. It depends.
I don't think she will ever be lucky with men skating.

Exactly.....Frank Carroll coached, and was fired by Michelle Kwan and Gracie Gold. He's legend and they still left him. Sometimes things don't click and that's life. Didn't Mirai have the same problem with Frank. Frank doesn't seem like the type of coach who can deal with rude or disruptive students and, IMO, he shouldn't have to and neither should she.

Perfume

Match Penalty
Exactly.....Frank Carroll coached, and was fired by Michelle Kwan and Gracie Gold. He's legend and they still left him. Sometimes things don't click and that's life. Didn't Mirai have the same problem with Frank. Frank doesn't seem like the type of coach who can deal with rude or disruptive students and, IMO, he shouldn't have to and neither should she.
Even Kim Yuna and Nam Nguyen left Orser. So yes, some coaches only click with some skaters. And their "clicks" might not even last too long.

I can't recall any top skater-coach split that seems happy. They're all bitter for a while or like forever.

At the moment, only Hanyu pops up in my mind to be the top skater who still has great relationships with his previous coaches. But wasn't his previous coach the one who suggested him to move to Canada? They parted on good terms. That's very rare.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
.....Frank Carroll coached, and was fired by Michelle Kwan and Gracie Gold. ...

You have it backwards re Gracie Gold.

Gracie did not fire Frank Carroll.

If anything, quite the opposite.

(I like both Gracie and Frank.)

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
You have it backwards re Gracie Gold.

Gracie did not fire Frank Carroll.

If anything, quite the opposite.

(I like both Gracie and Frank.)

Well, It wouldn't surprise me. He left Tim Goebel. Personally, I seemed to click with strict choreographers and directors. I had patients for people who struggled but worked hard to improve. I did not however, have patients for laziness or students who didn't do their homework. Once you get to a certain level in career, you have to take responsibility for yourself and the direction of your life. A skaters career is so short and these elite coaches don't have time to waste on undisciplined skaters.

Last edited:

Sam L

Medalist
Asians are just physically better at some sports. Also mentally, because they are raised to listen to authority and not ask questions.

This might be true for Asians who grew up in Asia but not for Asians who grew up in western countries like Canada, USA, Australia. Speaking for myself, home culture etc is important but I've never listened to authority anywhere - I do what I want... lol

Did she say anything else about Alina other than her liking jumping?

Perfume

Match Penalty
This might be true for Asians who grew up in Asia but not for Asians who grew up in western countries like Canada, USA, Australia. Speaking for myself, home culture etc is important but I've never listened to authority anywhere - I do what I want... lol
Even someone growing up in Asia like Hanyu is known as "not listening to his coaches and doesn't know when he should stop". His team being there mostly to stop him from overworking or trying out something too crazy.

I wonder why Eteri wants to work with such a stubborn person like Hanyu as in her interview saying so. It's not like Orser is much different from Eteri actually. I have the feeling Orser also prefers that his skaters follow his suggestions. But it seems Hanyu follows his own ideas and his coaches are forced to compromise.

Last edited:

ejnsofi

Final Flight
I already wrote it but if I was a student I'd go to Eteri.
She is strict and she has some kind of "survive of the fittest" attitude but if she was as heartless as some people try to make her she would have just let Alina and Adien go instead of telling them to come back and try one more time.

Also as one of you realised - Western way of dealing with children and Eastern are a little bit different. I never was treated in "A for effort" way by my teachers and it helped me. If I was given an award for participating I would have tried harder to win.

It's not a schoolyard football game - it's the sport on the highest level. One little mistake and you are no longer the best and your rivals are just waiting for it. Also Russian field is so deep that nobody has time or energy to deal with problematic skaters. It's not the best approach but taking into the consideration the number of students Eteri has (and the number of students who would like to join her group) she probably didn't cry after her students left her. The fact they did it without saying goodbye is just showing the lack of respect they had.

And a propos Hanyu... He is really hardworking man. He has his ways of doing things but I guess Tutberidze likes students who want to challenge themselves instead of crying in the corner

snd

On the Ice
andromache is correct. to educate is учить, which is what the teachers are supposed to do. a teacher=учитель. even the words are similar, essentially teachers are called 'educators' in russia. however, these are not the words eteri is using. she is using воспитывать and воспитание which really mean 'to raise' and 'raising'/'breeding' and this is never the job of any teacher/coach in russia. a well-bred child is a product of their caretakers, not their educators and when they are ill-bred, one does not blame the teachers or coaches. this воспитание word should never be translated as 'education'. it's breeding, having good manners, respecting one's elders, table manners etc. what the germans call 'kinderstube'. so no, when eteri says this is up to the parents, she is right.

mind you, i don't like her tone and this dirty laundry stuff about her students makes me sick, it's so unprofessional. it would never occur to me to reveal the hardships and flaws of my students to anyone like that.

Last edited:

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Russian federation should open their eyes and chase the incompetent coach away.

To my country for instance. :biggrin:
But this is exactly what I've said - her success is producing a small handful of stars from a slightly larger handful of those who can survive the process. At that she is competent and of course the Fed won't chase her anywhere because what they want is medals, they don't care who or how they are won by.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Her tackiness and horror can be seen in the programs of her students. No surprise.

tars

Record Breaker
But this is exactly what I've said - her success is producing a small handful of stars from a slightly larger handful of those who can survive the process. At that she is competent and of course the Fed won't chase her anywhere because what they want is medals, they don't care who or how they are won by.
Isn't bringing home medals the only competence coach should care of? Especially when she strongly encourages parental supervision of the whole training process, making it not only voluntary, but also transparent?
This lady seems to have it all figured out. :)

vorravorra

Record Breaker
From what I understood Eteri said she invites parents to ice rink so they can watch and appreciate their children hard work because very often they expect quick results. And if I understood well there was some conflict in Adien's family (his father threatened him to start getting results or quit) but it isn't her job to interfere with her students' private lives. When he got injured in training he came back do lock room, threw away his skates and wanted to quit but coaches asked him to stay

Also I think Moris is well aware of Eteri's harsh words. He said in interview that she is very demanding coach and not everybody can stand it

And yeah... cultural factor is important. In Russia sons are much more "protected" by mothers than in the West (look at Voronov's mum)
No, him throwing skates in the rubbish bin had nothing to do with him being injured, she never refers to his injury at all, it's all complaints about his behavioural problems. When asked about the FS at 2016 Nationals she reiterates what she said then, namely that if you came out on the ice, you need to suck it up and skate, even if you are in pain. I wonder if Eteri ever considers the possibility that she may have done something wrong/should be doing something differently, let alone admit it out loud. It is always parents, students, anyone but her. And in Adian's case it doesn't seem like he was behaving the way he did just to get on everyone's nerves, there was something going on there, he sounded depressed and would have probably benefited from a psychologist (not to mention someone to attend to his back problems).

Last edited:

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Isn't bringing home medals the only competence coach should care of? Especially when she strongly encourages parental supervision of the whole training process, making it not only voluntary, but also transparent?
This lady seems to have it all figured out. :)
Yes, she is competent at doing that - only with girls though - no matter the cost to anyone. I think we can agree on that.