Nagasu: "I want to go back to my roots" | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Nagasu: "I want to go back to my roots"

Very nice. Jumps, jumps, jumps, Mirai. :)

I thought the music was fine. By making small mistakes here and there, Mirai was not able to take full advantage of the musical highlights. Anyway, her season is off to a good start. We'll see.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker

I am getting the chills... together with the SP looks like could be one of her best package in a while. Good choice of music edit especially from mid second half, enough to keep it fresh. Choreography optimised for skating clean (as with the COP trends) Keep it dramatic and fierce with touches of sensitivity here and there. Need to keep the energy up to highlight the music highs and lows particularly change in the notation! Skate clean and we will get another show down at US nationals and beyond. Whoohoo!!

I even like that Olympic blue dress... (look forward to see how many more blue dress this year!)

Ender

Match Penalty
I am getting the chills... together with the SP looks like could be one of her best package in a while. Good choice of music edit especially from mid second half, enough to keep it fresh. Choreography optimised for skating clean (as with the COP trends) Keep it dramatic and fierce with touches of sensitivity here and there. Need to keep the energy up to highlight the music highs and lows particularly change in the notation! Skate clean and we will get another show down at US nationals and beyond. Whoohoo!!

I even like that Olympic blue dress... (look forward to see how many more blue dress this year!)
I wonder if USFA will choose Nagasu to Olympic again? She is so unpredictable.

seabm7

Final Flight
Mirai finished last season with a high note at 4CC, getting a bronze. If she can get a consistent Grand Prix season, I think they will definitely consider her.

And our other US ladies are beacons of consistency and predictable? I'm not saying Mirai is either.

Good point. No one really stands out as an obvious choice. Unless there is a surprise, good or bad, on the Grand Prix, I think the USFSA will just send the three highest finishers at Nationals.

lyndichee

Medalist
Good point. No one really stands out as an obvious choice. Unless there is a surprise, good or bad, on the Grand Prix, I think the USFSA will just send the three highest finishers at Nationals.

I wouldn't speak too soon about that. I think GP season will be really important.

I think Mirai's LP looks pretty promising and I think she's in pretty good shape considering what time of the year it is.

It is sad to think that between Wagner, Gold, Nagasu and Chen, we will only see 3 at the Olympics. They are by far not even close to how competitive the Russian field is but lots of talent and sentimental favourites in there for me.

Barb

Record Breaker
I wouldn't speak too soon about that. I think GP season will be really important.

I think Mirai's LP looks pretty promising and I think she's in pretty good shape considering what time of the year it is.

It is sad to think that between Wagner, Gold, Nagasu and Chen, we will only see 3 at the Olympics. They are by far not even close to how competitive the Russian field is but lots of talent and sentimental favourites in there for me.

And Polina E. and Mariah B., and Courtney did it very well in this competition too :drama:

lyndichee

Medalist
And Polina E. and Mariah B., and Courtney did it very well in this competition too :drama:

I guess you can tell I haven't had enough coffee yet today.

I think Mariah will hurt a little for me as well. Unfortunately Courtney has her ups and down and I've never been much of a Polina fan.

samson

Medalist
I love this vehicle for Mirai. I think it has a nice balance of power at the beginning, a lyrical middle section to highlight her lines and balletic style, and then something more forceful and emotive for the finale as she hits the footwork.

I think it's smart to put the footwork later in the program. She doesn't have to worry about conserving so much energy before three jumping passes like with TWTIA, she can really go for it then she has spread eagles and ina bauers before the last jump. That triple loop at the end is ambitious but if she can do it then it will be a real BAM.

I remember last year at Skate Detroit Mirai said she had a late start to season prep (I think maybe there had been a minor injury or something but I can't remember where I read that to back it up...) so it's especially impressive to see where she is right now with the programs.

This is a great base to build off of for the rest of the year. Here's to hoping she has her best season yet!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

She does, but fitness has never been Mirai's problem. An Olympic spot is within her grasp if she can skate well at Nationals.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I like her LP, but wish she would take the time to build up more speed and hold that spiral a lot longer after the double axel combination. Would be a lovely moment.

Courtney Hicks was actually more impressive here, she definitely has her best program ever for this season.

I like her LP, but wish she would take the time to build up more speed and hold that spiral a lot longer after the double axel combination. Would be a lovely moment.

Courtney Hicks was actually more impressive here, she definitely has her best program ever for this season.

Perceptive post as usual, BoP. Mirai and Courtney both stepped up in Detroit.

LeahCarinaClares

Spectator
Her "Carmen" and "Coppelia" long programs do a good job presenting a character. The musicality and comic timing in the Coppelia piece is perfect and it's a beautifully choreographed piece. "Carmen" had the feistiness of the character without crossing the line into melodrama; even if it lacked the lyricism of other Carmen programs, it was a very dramatic and credible interpretation of that music. You can tell she's enjoying skating and moving to the opera music, and she has a wonderful feeling of buoyancy and lightness throughout. Her "Madame Butterfly" program had the potential to develop a story/character arc but didn't quite develop that idea as thoroughly as those other two, IMHO.
But I don't think her skating lacks for emotional expression, and she can pull out the acting skills when the program requires it...re-watch her most recent short program, it has lots of little nuances and musical moments that bring the drama to life. Anyway, she doesn't need to do a character-driven program, just a good one, that suits her.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I'm wishing for her a very good season. I like her from the beginning, and I don't want to start a war but I thought she was the real bronze medalist in 2010. BTW I hope she can bring that form. :)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm wishing for her a very good season. I like her from the beginning, and I don't want to start a war but I thought she was the real bronze medalist in 2010. BTW I hope she can bring that form. :)

Likewise! And I (obviously) like Joannie. I was happy for Joannie to win bronze (almost silver!), and it'd be a travesty for Mao to never be on the Olympic podium. And sometimes a skater not winning (rather selfish of us as an audience lol) can mean many more years of great skating from them (Mao, Chan, Kwan). And in Mirai's case, with an Olympic medal she might have retired too early.

Ender

Match Penalty
Likewise! And I (obviously) like Joannie. I was happy for Joannie to win bronze (almost silver!), and it'd be a travesty for Mao to never be on the Olympic podium. And sometimes a skater not winning (rather selfish of us as an audience lol) can mean many more years of great skating from them (Mao, Chan, Kwan). And in Mirai's case, with an Olympic medal she might have retired too early.
I think Nagasu can make it to the Olympic.