My bald cat is getting expensive | Golden Skate

My bald cat is getting expensive

mpal2

Final Flight
My poor cat either started out with itchy skin or just became obsessive and is now constantly grooming to the point of going bald. :cry: We started out with a steriod shot from the vet which worked for a short time. His fur started growing back and started looking pretty again.

He started back in with the obsessive licking so we had another trip to the vet. They felt that he had then got into the habit of licking and reccomend bitter apple spray. That just made him afraid of me and he start licking more even with the bad taste. :frown: His bald spots have grown out of control.

Thus the 3rd vet visit in 2 months. This time the ran some blood work to make sure he was healthy enough for some major steroid shots. They gave him a major steriod dose and we may have to put him on steroid pills or even estrogen :confused: to regulate his behavior problems. I have never heard of giving a male cat birth control pills but if it works... :laugh:

I'm so frustrated. He has such soft pretty fur. Why must he pull it out? Does anyone else have any bald pet stories to share or give advice for?

Kara Bear

Final Flight
I've been going through a lot of kitty health problems over the last few months. We adopted a new little guy from our local shelter and he came to us full worms and infections. I've found a cat forum that is AWESOME in helping out with cat stuff.

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/index.php?

Do check it out. There are actual vets there that will give advice too.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
My mother has four cats two which belong to my niece. The niece can't keep hers at home because her baby has asthma and allergies. Mother is now living with me but has not sold her home yet until we find homes for the cats. I can't have them because of allergies. A couple of weeks ago we found out that one of the niece's cats that is 16 years old has a hyperactive thyroid. The options are medication for life with monitoring labwork and vet visits every two weeks or radiation treatment that is $1250.00 AFTER the thyroid level has returned to normal on the medication. Last week we found someone who will take all four cats if tthe radiation treatment is successful. The niece is determined to go with the radiation therapy.

What would you do?

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I would do anything I could to keep an animal in my care healthy. A few weeks ago, I paid $241 to have a cyst removed from the foot of Angel, my pet hamster. I paid that 3 times to save Ratpunzel, our pet rat, who has since gone onto pet heaven. (She didn't make it through the 3rd surgery--but we added 6 months to her life by having the first two done.)

Madelyn has bad allergies, and I've given her steroid shots and now she's on occasional steroid pills when I see her itching too much. It's expensive, I know, but I love her so very much and I want her to be comfortable.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I agree. My feeling is that if you are not prepared to do as much for a pet as you would your child you have no business having a pet. If it were Abbey I would go the radiation therapy route in a heartbeat. The vet has suggested putting Suger (pronounced Sugar) to sleep because of her age. The niece (Danielle) is determined to go with the therapy but her husband thinks she should follow the vet's advice. Of course if it were HIS dog he would feel differently. I have offered to pay for whatever treatment Dani decides she wants but have been turned down. Suger is here in WV while Dani is in Roanoke. The vet says the best place to send her is either to the University of Tennesse or Auburn. The radiation treatment means after the iodine injection she will have to be hospitalized for about 96 hours because of radioactive precautions. If I were physically able I would just take Suger myself and tell hubby to .......... :eek:hwell:!!! I have been told to butt out so that I don't cause problems between them. :rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye:

Last edited:

mpal2

Final Flight
Based on the stories people are sharing so far at the pet board, I'm afraid my poor little cat is OCD. I'll let the vets make the final determination, but I think he is headed for medication. I just remembered that a college friend of mine has a cat on Prozac so I guess our little fur friends get depressed too.

Well, my baby is worth the cost. I come home and he's waiting to give me kisses. I guess he just misses me too much when I'm gone. :yes: I'll just have to put my plane tickets for Nationals on my credit card now that baby used up the vacation cash. I can take it. :cool:

cheekers85

Rinkside
I hope he gets better soon!! That's sad. It's good he has you to take care of him. In humans pulling out all your hair out would be called trichtotillamania, an offshot form of OCD. I hope that helps a little. I don't know if it applies to cats. He may be just more anxiety driven and not so much pathology. (if a cat can have that?) But if prozac doesn't work, I know humans are given other different drugs as well as Prozac to inhibit compulsions like that. Paxil is a similar drug to prozac and is considered a good choice by doctors for supressing slight OCD tendancies in humans. The effect on cats is unkown probally and maybe not tried. Many anti depressant drugs are similar to prozac with slight variations and differenet side effects. (sometimes) Other drugs that are compatible alternatives to Prozac are the ones Effexor and Celexa. And buspar in humans is known for generalized anti-anxiety medicine for something if it exists without depression. It might be a lighter alternative. It is thought to alter brain chemistry less (i think) then something like prozac. Giving more of a sedation effect. (Though not a sedative, in that it does not make one significantly tired) This is a different thing then anti-depression meds, but probally you're lesst likely bet for sucess. It is something to think about if some reason he does not take well to those anti-depressants. This is all off the top of my head though, and all based on humans. Ask your vet if you want if you still have trouble, (hopefully not) about some of these things. Maybe these are a few questions for you to raise and psosibly discuss to feel better informed. Double check any info. It's something, I guess. I know humans a little. Who knows maybe it will give you something for the cat if you are still lost. If you aren't sure. Prozac sounds really on track though. So if that works out, great. It is probally where your vet would do first and last.
*There is a book written about animals with psych/anxiety disorders by someone who studied animals and their personalities from Tufts University out there somewhere. They actually wrote about the same problem you had, and alot of others. Prozac was reccomended for most animals and helped these animals, so take comfort in that.* I''ll check around and see if I have the book somewhere in my house. Maybe it would help you to look at it and know the title.
All the best wishes to the two of you. I know how it is to have sick pet with a serious medical problem. My dog had to be put to sleep last year (after and unsuccessful surgury) for a slipped disk in his spine and it was wrenching.

Last edited:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
MPal and Kara...

I wish you both the best with your kitties. Like RGal, I've been one to do whatever is necessary budget wise to get treatment for my pets. To me and Mr. Doggyman though, quality is as important as quantity of life. We learned that through a very gut wrenching experience with our dog Caesar who died of Cancer. We ended up making a very difficult decision to let him live out whatever quality time was left for him, rather than pursue a treatment course that might have extended his life a little bit, but had HIGH liklihood of treatments keeping him sick for that extra time. Once he passed, we knew we made the right decision. He enjoyed his life right up until the last couple of days. We were grateful that God took him then rather than us making that horrid last trip to the vet.

Just a little more to think about.

Best wishes!

DG