Final List of Skaters Confirmed for Marshalls World Cup of Figure Skating | Golden Skate

Final List of Skaters Confirmed for Marshalls World Cup of Figure Skating

Wow, Irina will be there. IIRC she earlier had said that she would skip this one to concentrate of the Grand Prix events (reversing the trend, LOL). I wonder if her recent victory at Cup of China gave her the confidence to jump back in.

Cool that Angela Nikodinov will be there and they can list her title as 2004 Skate America Champion!

I'm hoping for a big surge by Jenny Kirk.

Mathman

soogar

Record Breaker
I think the big news is that Plush is listed to compete there. I'm sure that's what's getting the ISU's panties in a twist. I thought he had travel restrictions.... I still think it's because of the reduced dollars that he decided to skip the GP events except for CoR.

With the exception of Griazev, it's the usual suspects. No Lysencko.

Will anyone take this competition seriously or think of it like me as an exhibition?
(It's the TV version of COI.)

Joe

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Some of them will take it seriously as it will be practice for the GPF. Plushenko takes anything seriously. Definitely, the U.S. Skaters will see this a practice towards nationals.

I think its a serious competition. (Next year, when the GP folds, it will be the competition, LOL.) It is the only time except Worlds where the top skaters get to test themselves against each other.

To me, the skaters go all out with their programs, trying to win. Michelle, her back problems over, will do 6 triples, like she did in Campbells. (Maybe a triple-triple -- OK, sorry, let's not get crazy). Shizuka, having overcome the equipment difficulties that kept her out of the Eric Bompard event, will do at least one triple-triple.

Sasha, all better now, will show mid-season form. Evgeny, recovered from his travel-related ear infections and his bum knee, will do at least two quads, both in combination.

And somebody will go home with the biggest purse of the season, $50,000.

I can't wait to see it!

Mathman :p

Kasey

Medalist
I'm happy with the USFSA for inviting Griazev! I think it is a great chance for ALL the skaters to get another chance to skate their programs in a competitive situation, regardless of how "cheesefest" it is. I just hate that at least one or two of each group of skaters gets chacked off of television! GRRR.

Kasey

Ximena

Final Flight
I was surprised too to see Evgeni on that list, but if he compete, he will for sure take it seriously. He always does takes cheesefest that way, however I don't know if it's save to say if he will go since I just read an article where it says that he might not do CoR, and of he does not do CoR, then RF for sure won't let him do Marshalls so they don't get into trouble with ISU again.

I wasn't clear. I just don't take these competitions seriously. The skaters will, of course, skate their best, and try to win some money. But if they don't win any money, they will go back and work harder at winning their Nats and Worlds, and forget about this interlude.

If Kwan beats Sasha or vise versa - so what.
If Joubert beats Plushenko or vise versa - so what.
If there are upstarts in the competitions that win over the favorites - so what. Can any of these outcomes upset your views about the outcome of the Worlds?

It's all too amusing and doesn't go beyond that. What I get out of these types of comps is another chance to catch the choreography and see if it's winning me over for the skater. It's good practice for the skater and his choreography and I would be more pleased with these comps if skaters like Rochette, Poykio, Liang, Asado, Van DP, Gao, Davydov, etc. were included in the mix.

However, with the usual suspects, I still think it is more Champions on Ice rather than a concerned legitimate competition,.

Joe

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
So ...

How does Marshall's differ from the GP? If there are upsets during the GP series, don't the skaters just go back to preparing for Nats and Worlds, and "forget about this interlude"? Remember Kwan v. Slute, first at GPF and then at Worlds in 2000 and 2001? IMHO, the competition that the skaters are primarily interested in is Worlds (and Olys), and whatever competitions are necessary to get on the team (Nats, Euros if applicable, etc.)

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Judging system to be used....

I suspect they will be using the old 6.0 system. Can anyone confirm?

I also wonder how many skaters who have made the GPF will pull from Marshalls. Of course the money is good, but I think for some skaters "making their mark" at the GPF might seem strategically more important than money / placements at this event. The timing of the two events is pretty close......

Other thoughts?

DG

Kasey

Medalist
It is sponsored/funded/whatever by the USFSA....that leads me to believe it will be the 6.0 system.

I also agree that it would be better, strategically, to be at the GPF rather than the cheesefest, if someone needs to make one choice or the other. The GPF is a bit more truly competitive, and it is another chance to compete under COP before going off to the larger events of the season.

Kasey

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hi Kasey...

We're on the same page - that's exactly what I was thinking too about reasons for 6.0 at Marshall's. Here is my prediction.

Weir will do COR, NOT Marshall's, then GPF. Just thinking about the travel schedule alone for these events would make it daunting for anyone to participate in all three.

Plush will pull from COR (see translated Russion article in COR section suggesting he's already thinking about pulling) and do Marshall's. The money would be great, and he can't make the GPF anyway.

I think Irina might also do COR, skip Marshall's, then do GPF.

I suspect Joubert and E-man might also be in this bucket if they are concerned about Marshall's and GPF being pretty close together, and what their travel plans are. (although they don't have to worry about COR being in the mix too in terms of wicked travel schedules)

If these speculations come to pass, this also puts Plush in a position to get himself out there with possibly one or more of his most significant competitors out of the mix at Cambell's.

Other thoughts and predictions? I could be all wet here. :)

DG

I think you're all wet. :p

I think all the confirmed skaters will come to Marshalls. The only one I'm not 100% sure about is Irina. For all the courage and pluck that Irina showed at Cup of China, she is still in recouperation from a serious, even life-threatening, illness. She certainly must be cognizant of the need to pace herself.

I think that the skaters who are nursing injuries, such as Evgeny and Tim, will come, but maybe hold back a little in their programs. (Michelle and Sasha are fine, LOL.) Like you say, Plushenko will not make the GP Final anyway.

Skaters don't want to get in trouble with the ISU by weaseling out of their Grand Prix assignments. By the same token they don't want to get off the A list for the cheesefests by jerking the organizers and sponsors around.

JMO.

Mathman

euterpe

Medalist
I have no doubt that Irina will go to Marshall's.

She was away from skating for over a year, with no money coming in. The GP prize money has been drastically reduced, and let's face it, Irina NEEDS the money, what with her mother's illness and her own medical problems.

Marshall's offers the best payday she can possibly get during the season. She did the Spring cheesefest, and did COI afterward, even while still recovering from her illness and struggling to get back in shape. Now that she is feeling better, there's no reason for her to skip this competition.

I hope you're right about Irina and Marshall's, Euterpe. Although the prize money is attractive ($50,000 for first place), you have to win to get it.

Irina has a lot on her plate if she plans to do Cup of Russia, Marshalls, the GP Final, Russian Nationals, Europeans and Worlds.

Mathman

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
At Campbell's, one of the commentators mentioned that the appearance fees were reduced (not eliminated). Does anyone know if there are any appearance fees at all at the cheesefests?

When will we get a confirmed List of Participants? How can one play the prediction games without a program, a hot dog, and a coke?

Joe