Figure Skater Condeleeza Rice | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Figure Skater Condeleeza Rice

Gardenkitty

Rinkside
I recall Robin Wagner contacting Dr. Rice when she heard she was a figure skater and still followed skating and Dr. Rice invited Sarah to tour the White House (and write an article about it for school). I don't recall the details, but I remember Robin talking about wanting Sarah to have learning opportunities outside of skating itself.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I remember seeing her on TV at Worlds 2003??? when it was in DC.

Dee

Lucy25

Final Flight
One of the news anchors on the Fox News channel has written a book about famous people and their sporting pasts. It is mostly a photograph book, and it has a picture of C. R. in it skating with her partner. When asked why she chose that photo to go in the book (because she was extremely athletic as a child and was involved in all sorts of sports), she replied that while she was never very good at skating, it was the one sport that she worked the hardest at. She says that she is still in awe of how tough it is.

sk8er1964

On the Ice
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2092-1367314,00.html

An interesting article about her - has a paragraph about her skating about 2/3's the way down.

"Rice already knew Denver, having learnt figure-skating there during her father’s summer courses. This became another of her great enthusiasms. She enjoyed the structure of training and would later skate competitively, getting up at 4am to practise before school. “I believe I may have learnt more from my failed figure-skating career than I did from anything else,” she once said. “Athletics gives you a kind of toughness and discipline that nothing else really does. ”

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
BravesSkateFan said:
While doing a search for info on her competitive career, I also found out (besides what was already mentioned here) that she took lessons in ballet, french, and tennis. She is also an avid football fan. LOL
No luck on finding anything about her skating though.

Wow! What an accomplished woman. Her parents must be rich!

S

SkateFan4Life

Tonichelle said:
The Presidential Prayer teams makes it on the Golden Skate... that is just too cool! :rofl: I'm a member!

I'm a member of the Presidential Prayer Team, too!

Hopefully, if a biography piece is aired on Condoleeza, we'll get to see some photos of her figure skating efforts.

This woman is truly amazing! What talent, intelligence, and class!

You go, girl! :agree:

Lotta

On the Ice
I've heard about Condi Rice being a figure skater in some Christian magazine last time and I've always wanted to know more about that. :)

By the way that picture of her split falling leaf? Really hot! :rofl: :rofl:

Vash01

Medalist
sk8er1964 said:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2092-1367314,00.html

An interesting article about her - has a paragraph about her skating about 2/3's the way down.

She enjoyed the structure of training and would later skate competitively, getting up at 4am to practise before school. “I believe I may have learnt more from my failed figure-skating career than I did from anything else,” she once said. “Athletics gives you a kind of toughness and discipline that nothing else really does. ”

Great article! Thanks a lot!

Vash

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
John King said:
She's also fluent in 4 languages,including Russian!
Fluency in multiple languages is a trait Ms. Rice shares with former Secretary of State Madeline Albright. I don't think Ms. Albright ever skated competitively, though. :laugh:

Maybe if she had stuck with it, Condi Rice could have been a Debi Thomas.

Last edited:
S

SkateFan4Life

Ogre Mage said:

Now there's an interesting thought. Since Condi Rice just turned 50, she would have been competing at the senior level in the 1970s. Had she become a champion figure skater, she would have been about a decade ahead of Debi Thomas, who won her first National title in 1986.

Any way you look at it, Rice is an amazing woman. đź‘Ť

Vash01

Medalist
Ogre Mage said:
Fluency in multiple languages is a trait Ms. Rice shares with former Secretary of State Madeline Albright. I don't think Ms. Albright ever skated competitively, though. :laugh:

From the article, and from Dr.Rice's statement it sounds like she was not a top level skater or a top level pianist, although she was very good at both (and a lot of other things). She found her nitch when she took a poli sci course from Madeleine Albright's father. She is doing what she is best at, and the skills she developed earlier have certainly given her the extra edge when it comes to all -round development of a person.

Vash

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Ladskater said:
Wow! What an accomplished woman. Her parents must be rich!
Hardly. It's just that the family put education VERY high on the priority list. Rice's grandfather saved money and went as an adult to Stillman. When Rice was growing up, her father was a dean at Stillman, and her mother a music teacher at an all-black school. That sounds like a solid middle class background, but hardly "rich".

You know, it's all about priorities. I think many groups know very well that anything can be taken away from a person except for his knowledge. When I moved to the US with my parents, all we had was 6 pieces of luggage and $150 in cash (we got some assistance for the first 4 months). Having good proffessional skills helped my parents move up -- they own a very nice house, put me through college, travel a lot, etc. Also, when we goy here, my parents wanted me to go to a good school. Having very little money, they rented a tiny little appartment in an affluent neighborhood with an excellent public school system. The appartment didn't even have a decent heater (this is Boston we're talking about!). They made a choice to sacrifice many comforts for the sake of my education. I think this is a similar choice to the one the Rices made.

Finally, I'd like to add that while I disagree with many of Rice's believes (I didn't care much for her testimony before Congress either), I have great respect for her accomplishments.

John King

Final Flight
Condi

A few trivia matters:Her parents had homeschooled her through Kindergarten,result of which,she skipped through Grade 1(and would skip though another grade later).There is a picture of her as a 13 year old in the current People magazine doing pairs skating with a white partner.That was quite daring back in 1967!