What about the USA's Men? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What about the USA's Men?

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
doubleaxelcm said:
I could watch him skate that program(with a normal costume) over and over again.
ME TOO!! I have been watching him since the Goodwill Games in 2001.

Dee

2ndmark

Rinkside
If he skates cleanly in qualifying, SP and LP, Johnny will make the podium at Worlds. He has consistency AND momentum working for him.

Callystarr

Rinkside

Johnny Weir: If he skates like he did in his first grand prix series he should be able to capture the bronze medal, however, I do believe he needs a quad. You have to look at it this way, Weir is going to score a max of maybe 225 in a SP/LP (not factoring in QR). But he has to rely on skaters like Sandhu, Goebel making mistakes to medal. Quite frankly if Goebel is clean in both the SP/LP I think he will beat Weir, Goebel has scored (208) with a rather "so-so" program. Not to mention that he has improved artistically..etc. Sandhu is more than capable of beating Weir if he could simply put it all together. Weir has to hope that mistakes will be made by Goebel/Sandhu to get on the podium.

Timothy Goebel: Has an excellent chance of medaling, just right now nobody knows what his consistency is like.

Evan Lysacek: This is a good break for him, will get him out in the scene infront of international judges. I predict a 9th to 12th place finish for him.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
One important point to keep in mind is that CoP usually puts more emphasis on the overall program. This is in Johnny's favor and Tim's detriment.

Plushenko is the only man with both a CONSISTENT quad and strong presentation. Clearly he is the one to beat.

I think a quadless Johnny might be able to place above some of the quad guys under CoP, but NOT Plushy. If Johnny manages to get a RELIABLE quad, then I say he rises above the fray to become Plushy's primary rival. I think he will win the silver or bronze this year.

Tim has a chance to get on the podium. His basics are good and he does have a quad. But he isn't a great presentation skater the way some of the others are. I think he has a shot at bronze.

This will be Evan's first worlds and he is quadless. For him a Top 10 finish would be a realistic goal.

I think Buttle will be a player at this Worlds. Lambiel may be as well, but I haven't seem him this season. Joubert has mediocre artistry and a weak program this year -- he will be lucky to win bronze. Sandhu could compete if he gets his head on straight, which sadly isn't likely.

Last edited:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:
Seems so true now, but then again, I didn't see anyone winning gold in SLC but Irina or Michelle, but we all know how THAT turned out! ;) :)

Valid point -- up to a point. As I think Frank Carroll once said, "The problem with this sport is that it's slippery out there."....... HOWEVER, with the Worlds being in MOSCOW, I can't see Evgeny being anything less than absolutely brilliant; I think the home crowd is going to bring out the best in him, because, Lord knows, Evgeny is nothing is he's not a total ham!! :laugh: If the Worlds were anywhere else, I might consider a vague possibility of an upset.

Callystarr -- Johnny Weir is only a PENDING member of Artists on Ice? Good heavens -- what does he have to do to get FULL membership?? ;) ;)

Callystar - I don't think Weir is going to stay at home, hoping that Sandhu and Goebel will make mistakes. Weir will go out and skate his best and he will be judged accordingly. Unlike Sandhu, Weir is consistent. Goebel will rack up a lot of points for two quads. I think he will skate his best. Sandhu we are never sure. Let's see what happens to the three of them.

Joe

curious

Final Flight
JonnyCoop said:
Valid point -- up to a point. As I think Frank Carroll once said, "The problem with this sport is that it's slippery out there."....... HOWEVER, with the Worlds being in MOSCOW, I can't see Evgeny being anything less than absolutely brilliant; I think the home crowd is going to bring out the best in him, because, Lord knows, Evgeny is nothing is he's not a total ham!! :laugh: If the Worlds were anywhere else, I might consider a vague possibility of an upset.

Callystarr -- Johnny Weir is only a PENDING member of Artists on Ice? Good heavens -- what does he have to do to get FULL membership?? ;) ;)

Evgeny is the only skater who can win anywhere. He did it in washington and last year in germany giving a great performance skating last under a huge pressure. he is remarkable. :biggrin:

curious said:
Evgeny is the only skater who can win anywhere. He did it in washington and last year in germany giving a great performance skating last under a huge pressure. he is remarkable. :biggrin:
And yours is one of many many many opinions. However, there are others who think differently regarding the 'remarkable' adjective. Some people are not crazy about his spins, his many stops in the routines, his artificial poses and in general his mugging the audience. However, he is a great jumpin bean. I think everyone can relate to that.