Men's Free Skate | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Men's Free Skate

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
A few thoughts on the Men's FS from TV....

Plush is sure the ultimate showman and the ultimate competitor. I'm not crazy about the posing in the middle of his routine, but he definitely wins the jump contest and I can't think of anybody who puts more down right energy into that footwork.

I thought Brian looked better than he has all season. I think he's made some positive changes to his program, but personally I can't wait for him to ditch this one and get something new. And I hope he ditches that toe dancing footwork sooner rather than later. It just doesn't work on him IMO.

I was less impressed with Lambiel than I expected to be. There is a lot to like about his style and his spins, and I know this wasn't considered a great skate for him. I'm trying to think how to describe it. He often seemed to have brief insecure moments when finishing moves like his spins. It just looked likely he briefly faltered a lot during his program.

I enjoyed Lindemann's skate more than I expected to. As a general observation, he just seemed to bring a fresh sort of energy to his program that I found appealing.

No problem with the placements from me.

DG

Doggygirl said:
I hope (Joubert) ditches that toe dancing footwork sooner rather than later. It just doesn't work on him IMO.
I quite agree. It worked for Yagudin because Yagudin's style was cutsie-poo to begin with. Joubert is best when he goes with a more meat and potatoes approach.

doggygirl said:
I was less impressed with Lambiel than I expected to be. There is a lot to like about his style and his spins, and I know this wasn't considered a great skate for him. I'm trying to think how to describe it. He often seemed to have brief insecure moments when finishing moves like his spins. It just looked likely he briefly faltered a lot during his program.
I loved his performance at Worlds last year (and thought he should have got bronze ahead of Lindemann). But yeah, this time he did seem "unfinished." He did not maintain his posture and had a lot of sloppy moments.

Mathman

Yeah Mathman, we need more meat and potatoes in Men's figure skating! :agree:

I have to come to my defence of my favorite. Lambiel's SP was the best last year but you didn't see it.

He's had knee surgery before the grand prixs, and that is a big problem. I can see he is not jumping as high as he used to but that is what happens with knee surgery. Since he hasn't been in competition since Dortmund, this was a warm up, and the first two minutes of that LP looked to me like a gold medal. Alas, it was not meant to be. Let's not write him off. there is worlds and there is olys.

Joe

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hi Joe...

Hope I didn't come off as though I was writing Lambiel off. I really do like his style, and hope he WOWS at World's!!! If you gave me a choice between watching a good skate from Joubert, or a good skate from Lambiel and I could only watch one, I'd pick Lambiel every time. (LOL, wish I could have had that choice on several occassions this season!)

DG