Best/worst skater's outfits | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Best/worst skater's outfits

L

LADSKATER

Re: Best/worst skater's outfits

Some of the outfits worn by the dance teams the last few years have been over the top! I didn't care for the costumes worn by the Russian team (Worlds' gold medalist) nor their program. I'd like to see simpler outfits.

Ladskater

R

RealtorGal

costumes

Yes, it looked awful, more like rags. I realize that it was supposed to be appropriate to their theme, but I thought it looked like something hauled out of the trashcan.

Isn't dance supposed to be fun? :rollin:

D

DORISPULASKI

Re: adding to the list...Abt.. and another contender

Abt is maybe sexy-but this year's costume looks to me like he skated thru his mom's clothesline and had pieces of lingerie stick to him.
(But I like his skating) dpp

I thought this costume of Yagudin's was worthy of the list.
http://www.interq.or.jp/venus/toshiko/sparkassen/yagtop.gif
I had trouble getting getting a better picture of this costume that I found to come up , so here it is as a link:
vereine.paus.ch/ecsg/ IMAGES/alexei.jpg

Instead of man in the Iron mask, it is man in the Crayola mask

dpp

S

spyralz

dpp-I have to agree with you that this is one of the worst outfits that Yags has ever worn.

to add to the best list
Sasha Cohen-LP (at 2002 Nationals)
Angela Nikodinov-SP (at 2002 Nationals)

too add to the worst list
Irina Slutskaya-SP and LP (Olympics)
Michael Weiss-LP (2002 Nationals)

Keep your thoughts and pictures coming~Spyralz

L

Linny

Any costume that doesn't fit!

Like MK Shez costume that gapped in the front.

Or the baggy pants under the ropes on Gwendall's costume.

And what is with these fit and trim butts that can't seem to stop falling out? If the female skaters were built like average woman, well, a little sag here and there could be expected. But, hey, what does it take, 6 inches of fabric to cover an elite skater's tush?

Linny

R

RealtorGal

Linny, is that a photo of you on a horse?

S

stilldizzy

Re: Costumes

The Russians, in general, have a problem with subtlety. They take a theme and really run with it and take it to the limits when it comes to costumes. It's as if they don't trust us to get it. You know what I mean?

Stilldizzy

S

spyralz

Re: Costumes

Stilldizzy-I know exactly what you mean. For example, When Alexi Urmanov's outfit for his swanlake LP in 1996 and plushenko's outfit for his Carmen LP 2002. Everyone who has ever watched skating knows the Carmen music. It's been used in skating since at the very least 1988 by Katirina Witt. Keep bringing me your thoughts and pictures~Spyralz

S

spyralz

I was reading my skating and blades magazines last night and found some outfits that I liked and I did not like. keep bringing me your thoughts and pictures. Also, tell me about the best/worst pro skaters outfits.~Spyralz

To add to the wost list:
Anissina And Peizerat-LP (Euros 2002)
Irina Slutskaya-LP (Euros 2002) LP (Goodwill Games 2001)
Evgeni Plushenko-SP (Russian Nats 2002)
Bourne and Kraatz-FD (Michael Jackson)
Michelle Kwan-SP (Skate America 2002)
Michael Weiss-Backstreet boys exhibition program

To add to the best list:
kurt browning-Elevation (SOI number 2002 season)

Q

QuadKingLuvr

I luv Tim's American In Paris outfit.. He looks so hot in it! I could live w/o anything that Plushy wears! Ooo.. the best costume I have ever seen is what Michelle wore for the finale of The Champions Gala @ the Olympics.. ooo.. so pretty! Diamond encrusted w/ the american flag made of jewels... love it! Favorite of all time!!

S

spyralz

Linny- I agee with you that anything that doesn't fit the skater too big or too small is not attractive. I also agree with the person that said tim's outfit for an american in paris is a good outfit. keep your thoughts and pictures coming.~Spyralz

K

Kara Bear

worst dresser

How about Emanuel Sandu. Not only are his costumes usually over the top but the obvious eye liner really bothers me.

S

spyralz

Re: worst dresser

I would agree the shirt is a little too loose and big on him. but, imo it's not ugly. I was watching tapes from the world championships the dance and the ladies. So here are some outfits to add to the list.

Best
Tanith Belbin/Ben Agosto-OD (2002 Worlds)
Bourne/Kraatz-OD (2002)

Worst
Chait/Saknovski-OD (2002)
Lobacheva/Averbukh-OD and FD (2002)

Keep your thoughts and pictures coming~Spyralz

S

spyralz

Re: costumes

I have to say that I loved the outfits that S&P wear. They are always coordinated and go well with the music. If you saw the Shared Gold special I think you would agree with me.
Keep your opinions, thoughts, and pictures coming :)

~Spyralz

K

katz

Just read over these last 2 pages....many chuckles..esp Ladskater, RealtorGal, sk8m8....but DorisP takes the prize for me w. her Abt summation: ..."skated through a clothesline full of his mother's lingeree."

Also, thanks for the Yagadin as a clown....I have tapes of Russian public TV skate shows from the 70's, 80's...and clowns rule. Everyone loves them there. It's a part of every skate show....perhaps a rite of passage for every male skater...so, particularly appreciated by me to see Yagadin carry on the tradition.

I probably already contributed to this thread, but, instead of reading over the last 50 pages, and at the risk of repeating myself:

I'll never get over Ilia's giraffe shirt or Alexei's Elizabethan ruffled collar. I swoon even now to think of them. My Russian friends are still angry at me for laughing at Alexei's collar. But, all these years later, if you said my life depended on not shrieking when I see or remember the collar, you'd might as well order up the coffin.

The smelling salts are still on the end table near the couch just in case someone reappears in Tonya Harding's bare-chested uglydress. As I remember, my reaction was: Is there music with this program? What knee-bashing scandal? What broken skate lace? Whadayamean there could be a triple axel? I can't take my eyes off of that big flesh-colored slash on the front of this dress. Someone come and save me! I'm being sucked into a terrible abyss! I mean, I KNOW intellectually that this slash is covered with flesh-colored material, but my fear-factor over-rules. Do the sensors have that little black rectangle ready? Help!

R

RealtorGal

I truly hated S&P's Love Story costumes. They looked like warm-up suits or something found at the County jail (minus the stripes).