1952 & 1953 Ice Dance World Silver Medallist Joan Slater passes away | Golden Skate

1952 & 1953 Ice Dance World Silver Medallist Joan Slater passes away

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
1952 & 1953 Ice Dance World Silver Medallist Joan Slater passes away

DSQ has already announced this in the British & Irish thread. But, given her high profile, I felt it should have it's own thread.

Joan Slater MBE (née Dewhurst), who was 3 time British Champion and runner-up in the World Championships in 1952 and 1953 with future husband John Slater, has died.

For younger fans, she is probably better known as a coach, and for being the mother of 1976 Junior World Champion turned Eurosport commentator Nicky Slater.

Here is the obituary on the British Federation's website:

https://www.iceskating.org.uk/post/joan-slater-mbe-obituary

There are some real nuggets in there. I didn't realise that Joan and John also competed in Pairs skating as Juniors. Or that they were runners-up in the "unofficial" world championships held the year before the "official" World Championships were first held. So, in effect, they were the runners-up in the world championships for 3 years in a row!

I often wondered why, having been the bridesmaids at ISU Worlds twice, they didn't go for "third time lucky" in attempting to break the Golden streak of team-mates Westwood / Demmy. But, I found out the answer in that obituary - it was because Joan and John instead turned professional. And it looks to be a wise decision, as they dominated at Professional Worlds, winning 6 titles in 7 years. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Nicky was the reason for the interruption to this run. :p

I have tried to find videos of Dewhurst / Slater skating, but alas was unsuccessful. But, there are some nice photos of them in the obituary.

Joan had a lot of success in her life, both in her own competitive career, and through her subsequent coaching career. Her death is a great loss to British figure skating. But, she is now re-united with her beloved John.

My thoughts go out to her family, friends, students and fans.

CaroLiza_fan

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you for sharing this in a place where it would get more attention.

I often regret that some younger fans aren't aware of the contributions of skating's trailblazers, but I have to admit I was unaware of her story.

Rest in peace, Ms Dewhurst.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just a wee clarification.

I probably should have made clearer that Joan used her married name, Joan Slater, when she was coaching. But, there wasn't enough room in the thread title for both her married and maiden names. So, for the title, I used the name that she used when she was competing and winning the medals I was referring to.

Sorry if I caused any confusion.

CaroLiza_fan

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
John Kerr wrote a touching tribute to her on his Facebook page. May she rest in peace.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
John Kerr wrote a touching tribute to her on his Facebook page. May she rest in peace.

Thank you for the heads up, iluvtodd. Apart from signing in the odd time to do specific things connected with somebody's birthday, I haven't been using Facebook for the past couple of weeks. So, I missed that.

For the benefit of those of you that don't have Facebook, here is what John wrote:

"I have been struggling all day to put in to words what Joan Slater meant to me. She was a mentor, she was an inspiration, and she was my coach. She took a chippy Scottish kid of modest ability, and questionable training habits, and made him an Olympian in 7 years. She was tough, she was no-nonsense, she could be hellish demanding, but you always knew she cared. Many times my sister and I stayed at her house and she treated us like we were her own family. I do wish that I could have thanked her just one more time and told her that I loved her but I know what she would have said- 'Don't be daft John you're going soft'- I mean she always could put me in my place. Joan will always hold a special place in my heart and I hope that I can, in my own modest way, carry on her remarkable legacy. Rest in Peace Joan❤️"

Source: https://www.facebook.com/john.kerr.3760430/posts/10163504848785385

Sinéad put two tributes up on Facebook (as well as a link to the obituary), but all her posts are set to friends only. Fortunately, her first tribute is also on her Instagram page, so here it is:

"Coach, Role model, surrogate family....Joan Slater shapes us into the skaters - and now coaches - we are today. She was the toughest woman I ever knew - that’s for sure, but with a great heart and wickedly dry sense of humor. So many stories and memories that will make me laugh and cry for a long time to come......
This pic is from Turin Olympics 2006. RIP Joan ❤️❤️❤️"

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/B_AjzmoJgio/

While on Sinéad's page, I saw that she and a whole pile of Joan's former students had been tagged in a beautiful tribute from a skater that I was unfamiliar with but who had not just been coached by Joan but had also been inspired by her to become a coach himself. That post is not set to public either, so I won't link to it. But, when clicking through to the profiles that had been tagged in it, I found this beautiful poem written by Louise Walden (2010-11 Season British Ice Dance Champion with her now husband Owen Edwards):

https://scontent.flhr4-1.fna.fbcdn....=31613eca18d732e46e486e5b6d8c6063&oe=5EC34C9A

Beautiful Louise. Just Beautiful.

This small selection of tributes really shows just how big an impression she had on her students. And how much she will be missed.

CaroLiza_fan

Weathergal

Medalist
Thank you for the heads up, iluvtodd. Apart from signing in the odd time to do specific things connected with somebody's birthday, I haven't been using Facebook for the past couple of weeks. So, I missed that.

For the benefit of those of you that don't have Facebook, here is what John wrote:

"I have been struggling all day to put in to words what Joan Slater meant to me. She was a mentor, she was an inspiration, and she was my coach. She took a chippy Scottish kid of modest ability, and questionable training habits, and made him an Olympian in 7 years. She was tough, she was no-nonsense, she could be hellish demanding, but you always knew she cared. Many times my sister and I stayed at her house and she treated us like we were her own family. I do wish that I could have thanked her just one more time and told her that I loved her but I know what she would have said- 'Don't be daft John you're going soft'- I mean she always could put me in my place. Joan will always hold a special place in my heart and I hope that I can, in my own modest way, carry on her remarkable legacy. Rest in Peace Joan❤️"

Source: https://www.facebook.com/john.kerr.3760430/posts/10163504848785385

Sinéad put two tributes up on Facebook (as well as a link to the obituary), but all her posts are set to friends only. Fortunately, her first tribute is also on her Instagram page, so here it is:

"Coach, Role model, surrogate family....Joan Slater shapes us into the skaters - and now coaches - we are today. She was the toughest woman I ever knew - that’s for sure, but with a great heart and wickedly dry sense of humor. So many stories and memories that will make me laugh and cry for a long time to come......
This pic is from Turin Olympics 2006. RIP Joan ❤️❤️❤️"

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/B_AjzmoJgio/

While on Sinéad's page, I saw that she and a whole pile of Joan's former students had been tagged in a beautiful tribute from a skater that I was unfamiliar with but who had not just been coached by Joan but had also been inspired by her to become a coach himself. That post is not set to public either, so I won't link to it. But, when clicking through to the profiles that had been tagged in it, I found this beautiful poem written by Louise Walden (2010-11 Season British Ice Dance Champion with her now husband Owen Edwards):

https://scontent.flhr4-1.fna.fbcdn....=31613eca18d732e46e486e5b6d8c6063&oe=5EC34C9A

Beautiful Louise. Just Beautiful.

This small selection of tributes really shows just how big an impression she had on her students. And how much she will be missed.

CaroLiza_fan

Wow all the comments in this thread about her were very flattering, but that poem was really special. Thank you for this thread. I know of Nicky Slater, of course, but wasn't familiar with her. What an amazing person she sounds like! RIP and sincere condolences to those who knew her.