1993-1994 Piruetten – Hamar Norway (1994 Olympic test event) | Golden Skate

1993-1994 Piruetten – Hamar Norway (1994 Olympic test event)

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Another competition I'd forgotten about and never really seen in its entirety.

1993-1994 Piruetten – Hamar Norway (1994 Olympic test event)

Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piruetten

Dance Free
1 Barbara Fusar Poli & Alberto Reani ITA - 1993 Piruetten FD
2 Agnieszka Domanska & Marcin Glowacki POL - 1993 Piruetten FD
3 Michelle Fitzgerald & Vincent Kyle GRB - 1993 Piruetten FD
4 Susan Wynne & Russ Witherby USA - 1993 Piruetten FD
5 Kateřina Mrázová & Martin Šimeček CZE - 1993 Piruetten FD
6 Susanna Rahkamo & Petri Kokko FIN - 1993 Piruetten FD
7 Marina Anissina & Gwendal Peizerat FRA - 1993 Piruetten FD
8 Elena Kustarova & Oleg Ovsiannikov RUS - 1993 Piruetten FD
9 Final Results, Dance Event - 1993 Piruetten FD

Playlist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asmTbur0onk&list=PLUD7XGoCpbTW77PFdJDFV6C2wlRm6ujLk

Men TP
1 Elvis Stojko (CAN) - 1993 Piruetten, Figure Skating, Men's Technical Program
2 Philippe Candeloro (FRA) - 1993 Piruetten, Figure Skating, Men's Technical Program
3 Scott Davis (USA) - 1993 Piruetten, Figure Skating, Men's Technical Program
4 Nicolas Petorin (FRA) - 1993 Piruetten, Figure Skating, Men's Technical Program

Pairs FS
1 Courtland & Reynolds (USA) - 1993 Piruetten, Figure Skating, Pairs' Free Skate
2 Mishkutenok & Dmitriev (RUS) - 1993 Piruetten, Figure Skating, Pairs' Free Skate
3 Brasseur & Eisler (CAN) - 1993 Piruetten, Figure Skating, Pairs' Free Skate
4 Ina & Dungjen (USA) - 1993 Piruetten, Figure Skating, Pairs' Free Skate
5 Gordeeva & Grinkov (RUS) - 1993 Piruetten, Figure Skating, Pairs' Free Skate

Ladies TP
1 Nancy Kerrigan (USA) - 1993 Piruetten, Figure Skating, Ladies' Technical Program
2 Surya Bonaly (FRA) - 1993 Piruetten, Figure Skating, Ladies' Technical Program
3 Josée Chouinard (CAN) - 1993 Piruetten, Figure Skating, Ladies' Technical Program
4 Chen Lu 陳露 (CHN) - 1993 Piruetten, Figure Skating, Ladies' Technical Program
5 Tanja Szewczenko (GER) - 1993 Piruetten, Figure Skating, Ladies' Technical Program

Men FS
0 Interview with Brian Boitano (USA) - 1993 Piruetten, Figure Skating
1 Masakazu Kagiyama 鍵山正和 (JPN) - 1993 Piruetten, Figure Skating, Men's Free Skate
2 Scott Davis (USA) - 1993 Piruetten, Figure Skating, Men's Free Skate
3 Philippe Candeloro (FRA) - 1993 Piruetten, Figure Skating, Men's Free Skate
4 Elvis Stojko (CAN) - 1993 Piruetten, Figure Skating, Men's Free Skate

Ladies FS
1 Yuka Sato 佐藤 有香 (JPN) - 1993 Piruetten, Figure Skating, Ladies' Free Skate
1.5 Interview with Oksana Baiul (UKR) & Profile on Michelle Kwan (USA) - 1993 Piruetten
2 Surya Bonaly (FRA) - 1993 Piruetten, Figure Skating, Ladies' Free Skate
3 Simone Lang (GER) - 1993 Piruetten, Figure Skating, Ladies' Free Skate
4 Josée Chouinard (CAN) - 1993 Piruetten, Figure Skating, Ladies' Free Skate
5 Tanja Szewczenko (GER) - 1993 Piruetten, Figure Skating, Ladies' Free Skate
6 Chen Lu 陳露 (CHN) - 1993 Piruetten, Figure Skating, Ladies' Free Skate
7 Nancy Kerrigan (USA) - 1993 Piruetten, Figure Skating, Ladies' Free Skate

Playlist
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL31A20E68A20BDC30

1993 Piruetten Figure Skating Ladies TP + FS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DphHXfdQGM8

nguyhm

On the Ice
I remember this event very well. I was excited to see Mishkutenok & Dmitriev back on competitive ice after turning pro with no success. Natalia had a new (short) hairdo and they won the event. I don't remember seeing Gordeva & Grinkov at that event though.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I remember it too... Josée was first after the SP and ended up with a silver medal which was so exciting before Lillehammer... of course, her Olympic moment had to be ruined by we all know who....

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I get sad thinking of Josee - really a wonderful skater without ever winning a world or olympic medal. She is reminscient of ROchette, Manley, Daleman and Osmand - wonderful personality and powerful jumps when landed.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I get sad thinking of Josee - really a wonderful skater without ever winning a world or olympic medal. She is reminscient of ROchette, Manley, Daleman and Osmand - wonderful personality and powerful jumps when landed.
To me Josée probably still remains the best (woman) skater Canada ever produced. Inconsistency, bad luck, some bad timing injuries happened... she still managed top 5 in the world... won a GPF medal and some GP event golds... she did well in the pro-am circuit, winning the Canadian Open among other accolades...but yup... unfulfilled potential. Her jumps were so big and gorgeous when she was on and artistically, she probably was better than the other Canadian ladies mentioned above - she truly shone on the ice with her charming personality - though I think Canada has had wonderful champions over the years.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I remember it too... Josée was first after the SP and ended up with a silver medal which was so exciting before Lillehammer... of course, her Olympic moment had to be ruined by we all know who....
Really? Was you know who at Worlds a month later where Josee bombed even worse? And Josee had NO competition for the bronze at worst. Tanja Sjewcjenko??? Marina Kiellmann??? No Josee's performance in Lillihamer was as much to blame on YKW as Josee's dismal career ending performance at Worlds a month later. Maybe YKW permanently and retroactively took credit for ALL of Josee's bombs throughout her career. She would have made a terrific fighter pilot dropping bombs wherever she went internationally. But You Know Who actually gave Josee her pro career because everyone felt sorry for the poor pretty Canadian girl who could have won a medal IF ONLY.... Yeah, Josee's whole career was a big IF ONLY.

Last edited:

Weathergal

Medalist
Interesting - I didn't realize Elena Kustarova & Oleg Ovsiannikov skated together before he skated with Anjelika Kylova.

I'm not sure I recall this competition, although it might just be because I didn't follow ice dancing that closely then.

Thanks for the links. I'll have to check them out!

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Interesting - I didn't realize Elena Kustarova & Oleg Ovsiannikov skated together before he skated with Anjelika Kylova.

I'm not sure I recall this competition, although it might just be because I didn't follow ice dancing that closely then.

Apparently it caused quite a fuss, Kustarova was not very happy. Anjelika wanted to be rid of Fedorov as he made too many mistakes.For me the change ended up an improvement as Krylova had so much more expression and presence than Kustarova. Oleg was both a very fine talent with great presence that still let Krylova shine. Fedorov seemed kinda unremarkable aas I was too busy watching Anjelika. I did feel bad for Kustarova and am glad she has had a fine coaching career.

Last edited:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist

Wasn't Krylova and partner's placement there a total SCANDAL? That's what I remember.

Weathergal

Medalist
Apparently it caused quite a fuss, Kustarova was not very happy. Anjelika wanted to be rid of Fedorov as he made too many mistakes.For me the change ended up an improvement as Krylova had so much more expression and presence than Kustarova. Oleg was both a very fine talent with great presence that still let Krylova shine. Fedorov seemed kinda unremarkable aas I was too busy watching Anjelika. I did feel bad for Kustarova and am glad she has had a fine coaching career.
Anjelika definitely had expression and presence! I'm enjoying watching her coaching.

Speaking of coaching, I was looking up Kustarova to see who else she skated with. When I did, I saw that Alekseeva is her mother. I never realized they are a mother-daughter coaching team.

aka_gerbil

On the Ice
I remember this event very well. I was excited to see Mishkutenok & Dmitriev back on competitive ice after turning pro with no success. Natalia had a new (short) hairdo and they won the event. I don't remember seeing Gordeva & Grinkov at that event though.
G/G were not there. M/D won, B/E second, and Ina/Dungjen were third.

The only fall international G/G did in the 93/94 season was Skate Canada.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Really? Was you know who at Worlds a month later where Josee bombed even worse? And Josee had NO competition for the bronze at worst. Tanja Sjewcjenko??? Marina Kiellmann??? No Josee's performance in Lillihamer was as much to blame on YKW as Josee's dismal career ending performance at Worlds a month later. Maybe YKW permanently and retroactively took credit for ALL of Josee's bombs throughout her career. She would have made a terrific fighter pilot dropping bombs wherever she went internationally. But You Know Who actually gave Josee her pro career because everyone felt sorry for the poor pretty Canadian girl who could have won a medal IF ONLY.... Yeah, Josee's whole career was a big IF ONLY.
Josée has mentioned herself that her Olympic moment was ruined. My translation of an excerpt of La presse article in bold.

«Au début, j'ai eu l'impression qu'on me poussait dans le dos, s'est-elle rappelée récemment en entrevue. Je me suis calmée par la suite, mais la nervosité est revenue plus tard...»

At first, I thought someone was literally pushing me to the ice. I calmed down afterwards, but nerves came back later.

«J'étais déçue parce que j'avais fait tellement d'efforts et de sacrifices.

I was disappointed because I had made many efforts and sacrifices.

She wasn't able to focus when she was rushed to the ice. I never wrote that Josée should have won a medal at those games. She had fallen in the SP. I was talking about the fact, as she has mentioned herself in interviews, that her olympic moment was stolen away from her. There are only 3 spots on an Olympic podium (and usually, they are 4 years apart) so for most, it is not necessarily about winning one of those medals, but feeling accomplished, to finally have reached their dreams. Also, this thread is about Piruetten. As the Olympic test event, and considering how well she did in the SP, she was indeed seen as a contender for a medal. She had also skated brilliantly in Edmonton, at Nationals that year. Do I agree that she wasn't able to deliver at worlds and Olympics? YES. It's a fact. However, I personally have a more nuanced vision on Josée's legacy in the sport.

Apparently, you are entitled to your opinion about Josée's pro- career (here is another opinion on Josée Olympic moment and pro-career) but to say that she only got it because the world felt pity for the poor pretty Canadian girl says more about yourself than about Josée. I personally, and that is my opinion, find such comments filled with sexism. Saying that a skater only got a pro-career out of pity for her, and thanks to her looks, triggers me immensely.

Maybe you are not aware of this, but Josée's daughter Fiona Bombardier is one of the top junior skaters in Canada. If ever she came to this site and read your comments, I bet she would be quite hurt to read that. YMMV

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Josée has mentioned herself that her Olympic moment was ruined. My translation of an excerpt of La presse article in bold.

«Au début, j'ai eu l'impression qu'on me poussait dans le dos, s'est-elle rappelée récemment en entrevue. Je me suis calmée par la suite, mais la nervosité est revenue plus tard...»

At first, I thought someone was literally pushing me to the ice. I calmed down afterwards, but nerves came back later.

«J'étais déçue parce que j'avais fait tellement d'efforts et de sacrifices.

I was disappointed because I had made many efforts and sacrifices.

She wasn't able to focus when she was rushed to the ice. I never wrote that Josée should have won a medal at those games. She had fallen in the SP. I was talking about the fact, as she has mentioned herself in interviews, that her olympic moment was stolen away from her. There are only 3 spots on an Olympic podium (and usually, they are 4 years apart) so for most, it is not necessarily about winning one of those medals, but feeling accomplished, to finally have reached their dreams. Also, this thread is about Piruetten. As the Olympic test event, and considering how well she did in the SP, she was indeed seen as a contender for a medal. She had also skated brilliantly in Edmonton, at Nationals that year. Do I agree that she wasn't able to deliver at worlds and Olympics? YES. It's a fact. However, I personally have a more nuanced vision on Josée's legacy in the sport.

Apparently, you are entitled to your opinion about Josée's pro- career (here is another opinion on Josée Olympic moment and pro-career) but to say that she only got it because the world felt pity for the poor pretty Canadian girl says more about yourself than about Josée. I personally, and that is my opinion, find such comments filled with sexism. Saying that a skater only got a pro-career out of pity for her, and thanks to her looks, triggers me immensely.

Maybe you are not aware of this, but Josée's daughter Fiona Bombardier is one of the top junior skaters in Canada. If ever she came to this site and read your comments, I bet she would be quite hurt to read that. YMMV
I watched those Games, and knew about the Harding-Kerrigan debacle. I remember what happened at the FS with Tonya. But I didn't remember the consequences for other skaters...like Josée. One must be fair: such a thing would definitely feel like a stolen moment.

It reminds me of Lucinda Ruh. No comparison at all with regard to the problems at the 1994 Olympics or about what underlaid the problems there. It reminded me because Lucinda never was seen as being 'a poor pretty swiss girl' but as a skater having great assets in her own right (her fabulous spins) despite her never being a candidate for a big medal. I should think Josée's success as a professional skater had nothing to do with pity but with her abilties in skating to take the audience into account. That's it. Quite apart from audiences not being interested in who should be pitied or not. They want to watch good skating!