1998 Olympics, Tara or Michelle?

• Tara Lipinski

Votes: 48 49.0%
  • Michelle Kwan

Votes: 50 51.0%

• Total voters

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I've been posting here for about 2 years and I don't think this subject has been discussed since I've been here. At the 1998 Olympic Games in Nagano, who deserved the ladies' Gold Medal? Would you have chosen Tara or Michelle and why? AND PLEASE PEOPLE....LET US NOT BE UGLY ABOUT THIS!

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
As much as I love Michelle and felt "Lyra Angelica" was one of the best LPs of all time, I would have gone with Tara in Nagano. I had never seen Tara skate like that before. She had a sense of abandon and joy that immediately drew me in. The lutz was a flutz and the axel was pure roller skating technique, but she gave it everything at her only Olympic experience and it showed. I was heartbroken for Michelle, but I think the right skater won that night.

Tove

On the Ice
I go with Tara, because she didn't hold back, like it seemed Michelle did a bit...she appeared kind of cautios... I'm not the biggest fan of either, though.....:sheesh:

jozmen01

Rinkside
MK is my favorite skater - however, on THAT night, I would have gone with Tara, just like I feel that Sarah definitley won in SLC. MK skated very cautiuosly and Tara skated like I had never seen her skate before. On that night, her skating demanded your attention, IMHO. She deserved the win. At the US Nationals in '98 and in 2002, Michelle deserved the win.

Kasey

Medalist
I have been a Michelle fan since SHE was the "little jumping bean"....and have NEVER liked Tara's skating, especially then. But that night, that competition, it would have had to have been Tara (and my vote just broke the tie between the two, dangit!) Lyra Angelica was beautiful, one of my fave Michelle programs still....soft, gorgeous, etc. But she didn't present it with energy or confidence that night, while Tara had the night of her life, the performance of her life, and was clearly enjoying the heck out of herself. HUGE difference. I don't even see a question here.

Kasey

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Going into the long program, Michelle was in first, Tara a close second. Michelle skated a strong, elegant program, good enough, in my opinion, to hold onto first. Tara's lack of tech on some of her elements to me were glaring, although energetic. Part of the problem was that Michelle's National performance was so brilliant that it was that program the judges, I am sure, expected to see that Olympic night. However, I am now glad that Michelle took the silver that night and not the gold. I am sure she would have probably taken the same path most other Oly gold winners have taken, and either bow out of skating, or go the pro route. Instead, we have been able to watch her grow and develop into the marvelous icon of skating that she is today.

I do believe, however, that at SLC, Sarah won the night.....on to Italy!!!! 42

Last edited:

icenut84

Final Flight
I haven't seen 98 US nationals, so that doesn't affect my opinion. IMO, Tara deserved the Olympic gold. Yes, Michelle's LP was very pretty and skated nicely, but Tara was sensational. Not to mention that she had TWO 3-3s, which you can't ignore, which were also both right near the end of the routine, one of them being the last jump she did!! I haven't seen any other skater put a 3-3 so late. Michelle didn't do a 3-3. As for the other elements, I'd have to check my tape, but I'm pretty sure they were either pretty much level or Tara was better (e.g. speed on spins).

Tara was better on the night.

jesslily

Final Flight
I watched the tape a few times recently. Technically Tara won since she landed 3/3s. But artistically Michelle won. Tara's music is too strong for her. The music is for a tall strong lady. Back than Tara was a cute little girl. Michelle's music and choreorgraphy matched her style and skating level.

jesslily

Final Flight
It's the fact that Tara won the gold. She landed 3/3s, but the music is really too strong for her. Back than her edges and flow were just around top US intermediate or novice ladies level.:)

BronzeisGolden said:
I've been posting here for about 2 years and I don't think this subject has been discussed since I've been here. At the 1998 Olympic Games in Nagano, who deserved the ladies' Gold Medal? Would you have chosen Tara or Michelle and why? AND PLEASE PEOPLE....LET US NOT BE UGLY ABOUT THIS!

I think the subject has been discussed many times and it pops up every once in a while. In fact at one time I wrote a post that I believe Tara skated the best THAT NIGHT, but was an inferior skater compared to MK. The MK fans jumped me because I had not seen MK's Nagano skate. I still haven't. I did see reruns of Tara the next day on news programs.

Am I correct in saying that Tara skated better THAT NIGHT?

Joe

jesslily

Final Flight
Maybe I have watched both Tara and Michelle's programs over 100 times. Basically Tara skated a clean program with 3/3. But her music let you feel she was faster than she really was.

merfsk8s

Rinkside
Michelle or Tara

As much as I love Michelle Kwan's skating, I begrudgingly have to admit that Tara outskated her that night.

Michelle held back when she skated that night. Her LP was one of the best programs ever created, but she was missing that spark, flair, and freedom that Tara had on that night.

I am not a Tara Lipinski fan. But, in watching the programs, I could see that Tara skated better. And it broke my heart.

ICEFAIRY1449

Spectator
Tara and Michelle

I know that Tara skated less cautiosly that nite and better TECHNICALLY but I still feel Michelle skated as a lady and Tara as a little girl.:confused:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Re: Re: 1998 Olympics - Tara or Michelle?

Joesitz said:
Am I correct in saying that Tara skated better THAT NIGHT?
Joe

Yes, you are correct. I seem to remember though that Tara skated better than Michelle some other nights as well, didn´t she? The Olympics was not the only competition where Tara won over Michelle. As far as I remember, Tara won US Nationals and World Championships, too.

Although I hoped that Michelle would win in Nagano, Tara deserved her Olympic gold medal, in my opinion.

Marjaana

Last edited:

Yazmeen

On the Ice
I would vote for MK. Tara's technique in certain areas (the worst flutz in the history of flutzing) was questionable, and her skating was just too juniorish for me. It was an energetic performance and I understand the outcome, but I would have still gone with the more mature and elegant MK.