2 years on Coronation Ace, can't spin | Golden Skate

2 years on Coronation Ace, can't spin

LuxuryLiner

Spectator
Hi all, I switched from Jackson Mystiques to Jackson Debuts with Coronation Aces 2 years ago, but I still have been unable to spin more than one sad, slow rotation since then. I'm an adult skating 2-4 hours a week, lockdowns not withstanding, so I don't expect to progress rapidly but surely after 2 years I should be able to manage a spin that would pass Pre-Freeskate, right?

I was making progress in the Mystiques (including slight spin progress) and upgraded after passing pre-Bronze MITF. Since I'm mostly a MITF skater, the Coronation Aces feel fine, but when I dabble in Freestyle, I'm just not progressing at all. It doesn't seem to matter if it's a two foot spin, one foot, or two-into-one. Rolling to the supposed 'sweet spot' just gets me onto a toe pick. We've tried different entries, and still just grinding to a halt or falling onto the inside edge.

I'm really frustrated. Is it me? Is it the blades? Is it my foot alignment in my boot? Is it all three!? I ask here because I've seen a lot of 'new blades, you'll get used to them and find the rocker' posts, but this hasn't been the case for me.

Any advice from you wise folks is appreciated.

Vicki7

On the Ice
Honestly, I could've written this post. I struggled with spinning a lot, I'm in exactly the same boot/blade combo as you, and at one point was considering a blade change because of it. It was painful - first I was stuck on one and a half rotations, then 2, then 2 and a half etc. It's taken me about 2 years to get my spins to a solid 4+ rotations. I am no expert, but if you're only dabbling in freestyle, and you're only skating 2-4 hours a week, that's probably the reason rather than any equipment issues. I had to make a real effort to practice spinning every single time I got on the ice, and my coach tried numerous different teaching methods with me, before it suddenly clicked.

LuxuryLiner

Spectator
Honestly, I could've written this post. I struggled with spinning a lot, I'm in exactly the same boot/blade combo as you, and at one point was considering a blade change because of it. It was painful - first I was stuck on one and a half rotations, then 2, then 2 and a half etc. It's taken me about 2 years to get my spins to a solid 4+ rotations. I am no expert, but if you're only dabbling in freestyle, and you're only skating 2-4 hours a week, that's probably the reason rather than any equipment issues. I had to make a real effort to practice spinning every single time I got on the ice, and my coach tried numerous different teaching methods with me, before it suddenly clicked.
Thank you, it's such a relief to read this! I was considering a blade change too, despite everything I know about Coronation Ace and having gone to a pro fitter who asked all the right questions. I have a pair of Superfeet on the way to see if that helps at all.

Having tried a ton of different entries with my coach and other coaches as well, what worked for you? What helped you get over the hump and get spinning?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
OP, I agree with Vicki7, but I'm going to add this. Are your blades mounted to what would be the personal sweet spot for you? Do you have an issue hitting any inside or outside edges in moves that would make you think that maybe the blades aren't mounted for you personally?
If that is it, then it would definitely not be helping your spinning. Just a thought.

Good luck! :)

LuxuryLiner

Spectator
OP, I agree with Vicki7, but I'm going to add this. Are your blades mounted to what would be the personal sweet spot for you? Do you have an issue hitting any inside or outside edges in moves that would make you think that maybe the blades aren't mounted for you personally?
If that is it, then it would definitely not be helping your spinning. Just a thought.

Good luck! :)
To be honest, I'm not 100% sure. My fitter put me on the ice to watch me do some edge drills when he did my temp mounting, so at least at that time they were in the right place for me. I do, however, have extremely flat feet that naturally fall inward, and I have had a baby since I got my boots and blades. Typically this can cause changes in one's feet but I haven't really experienced that personally. I was hoping that insoles might help me before going down the path of getting my blades remounted.

Currently I feel really strong on my inside edges, but I do have to work a bit harder to get deep outsides, especially on things with sustained outside edges from a single push, like figure 8s. How would you recommend going about diagnosing a remount?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
To be honest, I'm not 100% sure. My fitter put me on the ice to watch me do some edge drills when he did my temp mounting, so at least at that time they were in the right place for me. I do, however, have extremely flat feet that naturally fall inward, and I have had a baby since I got my boots and blades. Typically this can cause changes in one's feet but I haven't really experienced that personally. I was hoping that insoles might help me before going down the path of getting my blades remounted.

Currently I feel really strong on my inside edges, but I do have to work a bit harder to get deep outsides, especially on things with sustained outside edges from a single push, like figure 8s. How would you recommend going about diagnosing a remount?
Based on what you said, you might want to talk with your tech and tell them whats going on (outside edges) and see if they can watch you skate and if they have any suggestions (if they think it needs moved a tad).