2007 Worlds

lil_icesk8er915

On the Ice
2007 World Figure Skating Championships — Tokyo, Japan
2007 World Junior Figure Skating Championships — Oberstdorf, Germany

Just in case anyone was wondering! :D

Antilles

Medalist
Thanks for the update. Interesting for Japan. They usually have more time between hosting these events. They have great skating fans though.

JOHIO2

Medalist
But this comp is in Tokyo. Since the Olympics and Worlds were last in Nagano, I think the Japanese will be ready. They'll also be hoping for more medals.:laugh:

floskate

On the Ice
Also the last 2 worlds in Japan - '94 and '02 were post Olympic ones where many skaters tend to not turn up so it'll be nice to see a full compliment of skaters AND to see who emerges from the younger skaters after the '06 retirements, if there are any :laugh:

Great shop window also for Japanese ladies skating. My guess is their team will be Ando, Ota and Mao Asada. Full steam ahead ladies!!

berthes ghost

Final Flight
floskate: I don't understand.

If Oly medalsits don't go to worlds, then more unknown/inexperienced skaters go. If Oly medalists skip worlds, they have usually turned pro and won't be ther at the year right abter Olys, so I't really the same. The first year after Olys was traditionally weak/interesting for newcomers as name skater usually went pro after OLy year.

floskate

On the Ice
berthes ghost said:
floskate: I don't understand.

If Oly medalsits don't go to worlds, then more unknown/inexperienced skaters go. If Oly medalists skip worlds, they have usually turned pro and won't be ther at the year right abter Olys, so I't really the same. The first year after Olys was traditionally weak/interesting for newcomers as name skater usually went pro after OLy year.

While I agree with what you're saying here - it does give 4th and 5th place finishers at Olys a chance to get on the podium - many always hope to see the new Olympic medalists and when they don't turn up it's kind of a letdown and some think it devalues the competition. Also the TV coverage can suffer eg 2002 Worlds which were not broadcast by the BBC at all!!

I guess I just preferred the old days when they all went such as 1980 - what a great competition despite R&Z withdrawing and 1988 Worlds.