2009 BMO Canadian Figure Skating Championships | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2009 BMO Canadian Figure Skating Championships

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Nore nationals news. My excitement knows no bounds here.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Nationals+Time+twizzle/1171774/story.html

As for ladies, I'm not sure if Phaneuf is a shoe-in for no2 spot. You know how Mira delivers a performance of the season at nationals year after year and Phaneuf has her own inner demon she has to deal with at nationals. I would also love to see Joannie gets over the shock of GPF and gets the pesky 3-3 out of the system. Like a French reporter asked her at the TEB press conference, "Your 3-3 is so consistent in practices, when are you going to do it in competitions?"

herios

Medalist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmqwCeQEf-0

Here is the CBC preview for those (like me) who can't view it on the website.

Thanks for the link as well...

As far as for the dance 2/3 positions, I know you would prefer Weaver / Poje, I wish they would be getting better marks as well, but for some reason, the judges don't seem to see much improvement in their skating. At least I hope they skate clean, unlike last year!

nadster

Final Flight
IMO at ths Canadians, dance will be pretty boring as we basically know who will be 1 and who will be 2/3 (though not what order 2/3 will be). Ladies again, we know who will be 1 and the same thing for 2/3.

Is it the weekend yet?

Dance is the easiest podium to predict. Crone/Poirier will be 2nd and Weaver/Poje 3rd. There are about 4 different teams who could finish 4th though.

Ladies is a little harder to predict 2nd and 3rd as bar Mira, all the ladies are inconsistent. The other factor ( especially for Mira's placement) is the caller. Mira could be off the podium if she gets a Cup of China like caller. OTOH, Mira will most likely be second if the caller is like those used in previous years ( who have never given Mira UR calls). Mira rarely pops and she stands up her jumps so what the caller says wrt rotation will have a huge impact.

herios

Medalist
Ladies is a little harder to predict 2nd and 3rd as bar Mira, all the ladies are inconsistent. The other factor ( especially for Mira's placement) is the caller. Mira could be off the podium if she gets a Cup of China like caller. OTOH, Mira will most likely be second if the caller is like those used in previous years ( who have never given Mira UR calls). Mira rarely pops and she stands up her jumps so what the caller says wrt rotation will have a huge impact.

UR jumps were not punished internationally two years ago. They started doing it last year only. Mira would be nailed in ANY international event going forward, not just COC. She simply cannot correct her technique (unless some miracles happen, but I really doubt it). She doesn't have the power, nor the speed to help her. So she is doomed! If Canada wants to have a reliable skater sent abroad, they better call the jumps as they do in the international events. I said it in Kevin's case as well, they need to work on their technique if they can. Look who they hammered this year: Lysacek (two time world bronze medalists), Miki Ando ( former WC), all the US ladies left and right. There is no merci in this chapter, so you think Mira and Kevin will get away with UR jumps ouside of Canada? No way! So I am curious what the Canadian judges will do...

nadster

Final Flight
UR jumps were not punished internationally two years ago..

You are quite wrong here.

In the early days of the new system an underrotated triple salchow , for example was listed as a double salchow 2S. Nowadays, it is listed as 3S< ( with the less than sign indicating underrotation).

The symbols changed because there were problems when some men fell and underrotated a 4T ( so it was listed as a 3T). The men would go on to do 2 more triple toes ( usually in combination with other triples). Unfortunately one of the triple toes would be considered an illegal element since 3T would be listed on the sheet 3 times even though one of those "3Ts" was clearly an attempt at the quad. The symbols changed so that the only way you got penalized for doing 3 of the same triple jump is if you actually attempted 3 of the same triple jump.

In both cases the judges were forced to give negative GOE for the jump. So what changed are the symbols used which makes it clearer that an underrotation happened. It also stopped skaters from being charged with the Zayak rule violation simply because they fell on a quad attempt.

An example , at the 2005 junior worlds Mira Leung tried and clearly underrotated a triple loop in the short. In 2005 it was listed as a 2R, now it would be listed as 3R<.

What was introduced last year were mandatory deductions for wrong edge takeoff ( as determined by caller).

i love to skate

Medalist
Yeah, thanks. I have many favorites among the canadians. Glad that Virtue/Moir are back, but sorry about Langlois/Hay.

Please everybody who knows anything abut the competitions, keep us updated. What does BMO means?

Bank of Montreal, it is the main sponsor of the event.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
I guess tha Skate Canada site is slow, as usual. According to the schedule, two junior evets have already taken place, but there are no results. I guess we just have to wait.

TessaLouise

Rinkside
I guess tha Skate Canada site is slow, as usual. According to the schedule, two junior evets have already taken place, but there are no results. I guess we just have to wait.

Actually it's working super-fast... Just take a look at Junior Dance results for the OD ;)

Kypma

Final Flight
Actually it's working super-fast... Just take a look at Junior Dance results for the OD ;)

Weird. Back when I read your post, there were some teams listed, but now only the same ones are listed... ie. no new results. Odd indeed... since there are no breaks scheduled either (I was thinking maybe the even was split for practice or something... you never know!)

-kypma

TessaLouise

Rinkside
Weird. Back when I read your post, there were some teams listed, but now only the same ones are listed... ie. no new results. Odd indeed... since there are no breaks scheduled either (I was thinking maybe the even was split for practice or something... you never know!)

-kypma

hmm... I don't know when I first had a look there were three teams listed. by now it's 10 teams listed. So I still have faith in Skate Canada ;)

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Junior Dance CD

Junior Dance CD
1. Karen Routhier / Eric Saucke-Lacelle - QC 32.24
2. Tarrah Harvey / Keith Gagnon - BC/YT 29.92
3. Sarah Arnold / Christopher Steeves - AB/NT/NU 29.30
4. Alexandra Paul / Jason Cheperdak - BC/YT 29.08
5. Abby Carswell / Jason Cusmariu - CO 27.92
6. Olivia Martins / Alvin Chau - CO 27.46
7. Sophie Knippel / Andrew Britten - BC/YT 27.34
8. Alexa-Marie Arrotta / Martin Nickel - MB 26.14
9. Raphaëlle Viau / Sebastien Lapointe - QC 25.94
10. Maja Vermeulen / Andrew Doleman - WO 25.23
11. Veronique de Beaumont-Boisvert / Sebastien Buron - QC 25.01 (Allez les Boisvert!)
12. Katelyn Good / Brandon Deslauriers - QC 24.48
13. Catherine St-Onge / Alexander Browne - QC 24.43
14. Emily Stoll / Allan Stoll - WO 23.75
15. Marie-Philippe Vincent / François-Xavier Ouellette - QC 23.18
16. Olga Lioudvinevitch / Thomas Williams - AB/NT/NU 23.06
17. Laurence Fournier Beaudry / Anthony Quintal - QC 23.03
18. Natasha Osmond / Justin Mohr - AB/NT/NU 21.97
19. Mélodie-Tara Tremblay / Jonathan Arcieri - QC 21.74
20. Marina Staltari / Jonathan Okrainetz - SK 21.54

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Junior Men SP

1 Ronald Lam BC/YT 58.22
2 Andrei Rogozine CO 52.53
3 Sébastien Wolfe QC 51.02
4 Rob Schultz WO 50.03
5 Liam Firus BC/YT 49.54
6 Dave Ferland QC 48.84
7 Andrew Lum BC/YT 46.38
8 Pierre-Luc Gagnon QC 46.20
9 Michael Marinaro WO 45.36
10 Paul Parkinson EO 45.09
11 Asher Hill CO 44.57
12 Patrick Wong BC/YT 44.56
13 Samuel Morais QC 44.04
14 Raymond Schultz CO 43.14
15 Ian Beharry WO 42.81
16 Mathieu Chassé QC 39.76
17 Nicolas Fouquet QC 39.42
18 Benjamin Tidy QC 38.92
19 David Leenen EO 37.79
20 Evan Gammon WO 34.93

I didn't know Asher Hill is also competing as a single skater. A bit shocked by the Morais' SP. Patrick Wong, who showed such a promise a few years ago, seems to have stagnated past couple of years.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Junior Dance CD
1. Karen Routhier / Eric Saucke-Lacelle - QC 32.24
2. Tarrah Harvey / Keith Gagnon - BC/YT 29.92
3. Sarah Arnold / Christopher Steeves - AB/NT/NU 29.30
4. Alexandra Paul / Jason Cheperdak - BC/YT 29.08
5. Abby Carswell / Jason Cusmariu - CO 27.92
6. Olivia Martins / Alvin Chau - CO 27.46
7. Sophie Knippel / Andrew Britten - BC/YT 27.34
8. Alexa-Marie Arrotta / Martin Nickel - MB 26.14
9. Raphaëlle Viau / Sebastien Lapointe - QC 25.94
10. Maja Vermeulen / Andrew Doleman - WO 25.23
11. Veronique de Beaumont-Boisvert / Sebastien Buron - QC 25.01 (Allez les Boisvert!)
12. Katelyn Good / Brandon Deslauriers - QC 24.48
13. Catherine St-Onge / Alexander Browne - QC 24.43
14. Emily Stoll / Allan Stoll - WO 23.75
15. Marie-Philippe Vincent / François-Xavier Ouellette - QC 23.18
16. Olga Lioudvinevitch / Thomas Williams - AB/NT/NU 23.06
17. Laurence Fournier Beaudry / Anthony Quintal - QC 23.03
18. Natasha Osmond / Justin Mohr - AB/NT/NU 21.97
19. Mélodie-Tara Tremblay / Jonathan Arcieri - QC 21.74
20. Marina Staltari / Jonathan Okrainetz - SK 21.54

No big shock there for the #1 spot. I really like R/S-L, and it seems that they have adressed some of the consistancy and unison difficulties they had last season. They were bang on at Thornhill in the summer, even though they didn't win. I was surprised to see Knippel/Britten so far down, but i suppose the scores are so close in the top 7 or 8 that it's anyone's game. Looks like Routheir/Saucke-Lacelle have it in the bag, provided that they don't completely self destruct in the OD or FD.

nadster

Final Flight
I didn't know Asher Hill is also competing as a single skater. A bit shocked by the Morais' SP. Patrick Wong, who showed such a promise a few years ago, seems to have stagnated past couple of years.

I have seen Asher compete singles from his pre-novice days, most recently at the summer competition in Thornhill. He made it to nationals in junior men last year as well. He has great musicality and his transitions are great but does not have the jumping skills to be a top junior.

It seems that the Scarboro club ( best known for its ice dancers) seem to encourage their ice dancers to do singles as well. Crone/Poirier train there as well.