2010 Olympic Preview to Men's Figure Skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2010 Olympic Preview to Men's Figure Skating

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The time has come for the men to take Center Stage. Not that the Ladies will not be interesting. The Ladies are fighting for the bronze medal whereas the men are challenging for all three places. :cool::cool:

I wasn't aware there was a perceived lock on the silver medal. News to me!

julielai

Rinkside
There is a 16 year old who contributes to this website and frankly I think that young writer is a better analyst than Mr. Walker and more objective.

I think many like her blogs because she follows the conventional approach--pointing out the strengths and weakneses of skaters with some sort of conclusion towards the end. That kind of step-by-step approach appeals to female readers like me. This article is a bit conclusion heavy and as such leaves questions that need to be answered. But then to be fair, blogs have no word limit and I don't know if this site allows the writer to go beyond the usual article length to exlaining his reasonings

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As to robots I think Evan skates with more passion than most, certainly more than Joubert, who at times appears to be little more than a mannequin on skates.

I actually find Brian more entertaining than Evan. At least when Brian promotes himself as an athlete of the sport, he actually goes for the quad every time unlike Lysacek and his Axel is way better than Evan's. I certainly don't think that Evan feels his music any more than Brian does. As far as Evan's "passion" is concerned, I see nothing more than contrived arm flailing and over the top theatrics that don't interpret the music. JMO.

jennylovskt

Medalist
As to robots I think Evan skates with more passion than most, certainly more than Joubert, who at times appears to be little more than a mannequin on skates. Many of the others just look scared at big events and fail to rise to the occassion.

I, too, feel that Lysacek doesn't understand music that much. He does what he was told to do. And he follows the directions well enough. That's all.

That he can put his nerves under control is the biggest strength for him because without it, he has almost nothing.

futureidol

On the Ice
I agree with both jennylovskt and museksk8r about Evan's lack of musicality. I often think he lets his intense music selections build the programs while he flails and twizzles around, moving so chaotically it's hard to isolate choreography and elements of the footwork. The audience is responding more to the music than the skating which they are only swayed by because of the intensity of his face and the quickness of his movement, but none of this is aesthetically pleasing or appealing in any sense. Also I think his programs are often very similar in construction, theme, and type of music. And I always have a serious issue with his costume choices that do not flatter his long-limbed body and his obsession with black. That said his programs are certainly more creative than Plushenko's or Joubert's, but that's not saying much.

Last edited:
The audience is responding more to the music than the skating which they are only swayed by because of the intensity of his face and the quickness of his movement...

I agree with that assessment, and I include the judges along with the audience.

What I don't understand is why everybody doesn't use intense music, dramatic movements, etc. and start impressing audiences and judges like Lysacek does. It seems like such an obvious formula for success.

Last edited:

futureidol

On the Ice
It is a brilliant and obvious formula... I think skaters often choose music that builds, but Evan consistently uses the most intense and powerful selections. Also sometimes using lighter music helps skaters focus on their jumps, while intense music may psych a skater out. But when you combine intense music with flawless skating it's hard to beat.

julielai

Rinkside
I agree with that assessment, and I include the judges along with the audience.

What I don't understand is why everybody doesn't use untense music, dramatic movements, etc. and start impressing audiences and judges like Lysacek does. It seems like such an obvious formula for success.

Good point. I think, though, that skaters pick music that motivates them or reflects their personality, or at least they have to stand the music well enough to train with it day after day, so if Carmen doesn't drive or motivate Weir/Abbtt, then that extra few points in PCS isn't worth it. :)

(Keeping this thread on top, as suggested.) ;)

jennylovskt

Medalist
The audience is responding more to the music than the skating which they are only swayed by because of the intensity of his face and the quickness of his movement, but none of this is aesthetically pleasing or appealing in any sense. Also I think his programs are often very similar in construction, theme, and type of music.

You said it the best! Lysacek's music choice was great even though they were over used. A lot of time, I find his movements meaningless. The connections of those movements were rough, sometimes from one movement jumped to another.

What I don't understand is why everybody doesn't use untense music, dramatic movements, etc. and start impressing audiences and judges like Lysacek does. It seems like such an obvious formula for success.

That's a good question! It seems that Evan's success on Carmen has made him discover this way. And he has been using it ever since. Can he do without this kind of music? No!

Other skaters who have true artistic abilities, don't rely on it. They chose veriaty music and portrayed different charactors. To them, they have many formulas for success.

On the other hand, the judges should know better. That's why that most skating fans were outraged at Evan's ridiculous PCS.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I actually find Brian more entertaining than Evan. At least when Brian promotes himself as an athlete of the sport, he actually goes for the quad every time unlike Lysacek and his Axel is way better than Evan's. I certainly don't think that Evan feels his music any more than Brian does. As far as Evan's "passion" is concerned, I see nothing more than contrived arm flailing and over the top theatrics that don't interpret the music. JMO.
I think Brian has done a better job than Evan in choosing music that plays to his strengths and that he can relate to, whereas Evan picks warhorses the audience already knows - which is helpful to him, I guess. Also, although it doesn't always come through in competition, Brian has had some lovely gala programs that have displayed a more musical side to his skating.

I agree with both jennylovskt and museksk8r about Evan's lack of musicality. I often think he lets his intense music selections build the programs while he flails and twizzles around, moving so chaotically it's hard to isolate choreography and elements of the footwork. The audience is responding more to the music than the skating which they are only swayed by because of the intensity of his face and the quickness of his movement, but none of this is aesthetically pleasing or appealing in any sense. Also I think his programs are often very similar in construction, theme, and type of music. And I always have a serious issue with his costume choices that do not flatter his long-limbed body and his obsession with black. That said his programs are certainly more creative than Plushenko's or Joubert's, but that's not saying much.
I agree that the audience is often responding more to the intensity and excitement - although it has to be said, those aren't necessarily easy to generate. I do not agree that Evan has more creative programs, than, well, anyone. He has programs designed to play the CoP numbers game, which is the least creative thing I can think of; it is possible to have a CoP-friendly program that is still creative (some of Dai's and Jeremy's programs, for instance).

schiele

Final Flight
I think Brian has done a better job than Evan in choosing music that plays to his strengths and that he can relate to, whereas Evan picks warhorses the audience already knows - which is helpful to him, I guess. Also, although it doesn't always come through in competition, Brian has had some lovely gala programs that have displayed a more musical side to his skating.

I agree that the audience is often responding more to the intensity and excitement - although it has to be said, those aren't necessarily easy to generate. I do not agree that Evan has more creative programs, than, well, anyone. He has programs designed to play the CoP numbers game, which is the least creative thing I can think of; it is possible to have a CoP-friendly program that is still creative (some of Dai's and Jeremy's programs, for instance).

Choosing warhorses makes most skaters look good if they can keep up with it. If they were skate to something intricate like Jeremy's SP music or smth very upbeat like Joubert's SP music, I'd like to see how that would turn out. I have a difficult time supporting a programme which relies on a safe music choice.
That being said, I agree with you that creating such intensitiy and speed with the movements is not easy at all. I think along with Evan's consistency, that's also worthy a praise. However, it fails to impress me. When Plushenko did the same it back in the days until 2006, I was always impressed so I don't know what's the difference between the two. Maybe cos Plushy has been doing it from the start or chose less overused music? I frankly don't know. :think:

I don't understand why there isn't more discussion about Johnny. The last preOly had a good deal of Johnny's chances to medal and some to win.

Imo, he is not the same skater he was in 2006. I thought he was on par for a medal and in the competition he was second in the SP. No? But he missed the bus for the LP and it all went down the drain. It was as if he threw the medal away. Since then I detect a loss of interest in the sport.

I do not see him on par for medal here. Too many mishaps among the male skaters in 2006 and too many men to make up for their 2006 errors.

Tesla

Final Flight
I think that this men's race is wide open. I believe that Lysacek and Plushenko are the ones to beat because they are the most consistent. I think it could be very close in scores between them with the TES edge going to Plushenko and the PCS edge going to Evan. However, if the other men skate to their potential, then it's anyone's game. Jeremy was wonderful at Nationals. If he skates like that, then he could very well win. That's a big if. I love Jeremy and would love if he could skate like at the Olympics, but he is a bit of a headcase in major international events. All of the other skaters are, Oda, Takahashi, Verner, Joubert, Lambiel, Weir are all inconsistent on the big stages. Really, only Evan and Evgeny have proved their consistency. I would love either Evan or Jeremy to win the OGM. I don't want Plushenko to win just because he out jumps everyone.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Really, only Evan and Evgeny have proved their consistency. I would love either Evan or Jeremy to win the OGM. I don't want Plushenko to win just because he out jumps everyone.
Actually, Lysacek and Joubert are pretty similar in terms of the consistency of their results, with Joubert placing higher than Evan in general in this Olympic cycle. Plushenko is in a class of his own in terms of consistency, having finished off the podium only once in his entire senior career, and no lower than second since the late 1990s.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I m really worried about Plush consistency, I just found out a video of him in the airport, he cut the mullet:boohoo:

futureidol

On the Ice
OMG LOL seniorita he cut the mullet? Do share a photo please!

Joesitz:

About Weir having a chance... well I actually think he's better prepared this time around to garner a medal. Besides the Nationals (the only event he won that season, 6th at SC, 3rd at COR) going into the Torino games, he did not look prepared for that season nor did he even have a new/usable FS in 2006. He is focused and well trained this time around and knows what to expect from the Olympic games. He won't have the pressure of being one of the front runners. He also has yet to peak with his programs this season and is certainly capable of doing so in Vancouver and/or Torino (Worlds, full circle for Johnny). Also I wouldn't call him inconsistent. He's medaled in every event except Russia (which was his first event in a long time so the nerves got to him). His SP has been spot on, but yes his FS has still not been skated to it's potential, but from his training reports I think we'll be treated to a masterpiece in Vancouver *knock on wood*. I've never heard Johnny so positive and full of life. He's going to skate with abandon and for himself in 2010, I just know it.

His season thus far has almost mirrored Lysacek's season last year. Full of 3rd place finishes (in fact he's doing better than Evan had at this point, with his silver at NHK and bronze at GPF). People thought Evan's goose was cooked last season and look who's World Champion now? So I wouldn't dismiss Weir in any way and I think he has just as good a chance as anyone else in the top ten. It's all about what happens on the ice and anything can happen.