2013 Worlds-Mens SP | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds-Mens SP

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Wheee, the voodoo dolls worked!

sequinsgalore - Kovtun did 3toe/1toe

And his program was as exciting and interesting as Dido's new album. :slink:

Kovtun certainly doesn't deserve an Olympic spot. Menshov has been shown the door and Gachinski is a mess. So they don't, really.

That is mean; real mean. He didn`t send himself to worlds. If you are using voodoo dolls you should be ashamed of yourself.

Art&Sport

Medalist
ITA!!

Some comments really illustrate why (most of) our associations with figure skating is as armchair skating board anonymous judges/posters. I understand that people have preferences and faves, but please, give credit when it’s due.

Come on, credit is given to Patrick. He certainly gets a boatload more than his share from the judges, just by skating obviously clean (with same artistry he's had all season). Why do fans who respect Pat but don't over-the-moon love Pat have to bow down and fawn? Ya know, I think Denis was over-scored too -- D10 should have been more 88 or 89 IMO. And Pat should have been no higher than 91-92 range (that's inflation enough). No one disputes that Pat should be in first -- it's just the ridiculously high scores when he's clean and still decently high scores when he makes numerous errors that cause a lot of the lukewarm-ness from non-Chan fans, IMHO.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
inflation is obsolete in Sochi. If the judges want to have it this way in the short TODAY, let them have it. And mind you I'm not saying his skate wasn't grand, but IMHO, IF Yuzu had skated his short program clean..oh boy. THAT KID HAS CHARISMA!!!

U know what they say about payback...:cool:

I absolutely do not get what all the hoopla is about Hanyu. He's not even the most interesting or talented of the Japanese skaters, much less the cream of the world crop.

I feel like I'm on another planet concerning this guy. He's clearly got the attention of the judges and fans.

Maybe it's that damn Winnie the Pooh Kleenex box. It makes me want to steal his lunch money and shove him in a locker.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Very fine performance by Denis Ten. One of my favorite programs so far (a little too much looking to the heavens and hand wringing, but I'll give him a pass...). Frank C can smile.

its from the Brian Boitano school of emoting and I am an artist.

Art&Sport

Medalist
I absolutely do not get what all the hoopla is about Hanyu. He's not even the most interesting or talented of the Japanese skaters, much less the cream of the world crop.

I feel like I'm on another planet concerning this guy. He's clearly got the attention of the judges and fans.

Maybe it's that damn Winnie the Pooh Kleenex box. It makes me want to steal his lunch money and shove him in a locker.

ITA TontoK, and I've been saying it all along. Hanyu has great potential but he's still artistically immature and inconsistent technically whether from nerves or endurance problems and/ or the heavy weight of over-scoring he's received early this season.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
And Hanyu is still gonna score ahead of Max Aaron, natch. Well, oops, I wrote that after Hanyu's first mistake, so yeah he's behind and should be. What a sport (not art).

IMHO, neither Brezina, Joubert nor Reynolds have got much of anything over Max Aaron in terms of PCS. Where are they better truthfully -- none of them is really musical or interpretive, and Brezina's program lacked choreo big time. Giving Joubert level 4 on his spins is a crime. I'm not sure whether this sport is eventually gonna just fade away from interest for me. I wish I could let go of my hard core thingy ever since childhood. Lots of years and hard to let go. If the scoring gets any worse, maybe I can drop it, or else just enjoy the skaters and not watch comps in real time.

Brian O said Hanyu has work to do -- an understatement. Not a great feeling for Brian O with both his skaters making mistakes. Hanyu and Fernandez should be in Reynolds and Joubert positions.

Oh my...if Brezina, Joubert nor Reynolds have much over Max Aaron in terms of pcs then we are saying these boys are not much artists or quality skaters because Max ain`t no artist (though maybe skating with Chan might helpÉÉ

Art&Sport

Medalist
That is mean; real mean. He didn`t send himself to worlds. If you are using voodoo dolls you should be ashamed of yourself.

:rofl:

Please, somebody quick make up some good luck voodoo dolls for U.S. men!!!

Oh my...if Brezina, Joubert nor Reynolds have much over Max Aaron in terms of pcs then we are saying these boys are not much artists or quality skaters because Max ain`t no artist (though maybe skating with Chan might help.

Obviously Max needs all the help he can get re presentation (and "good posture" per Ziggy ;)) But pardon me, I don't exactly see any Chan-sized luck rubbing off so far for Max. It seems to have all gone to Kevin Reynolds, and from Kevin Reynolds to Denis Ten and Brezina, taking away from Ross Miner's small miracle at NHK. :laugh:

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S SHORT PROGRAM - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Patrick CHAN (CAN) - 98.37 Short Program, 2nd Copy
2. Denis TEN (KAZ) - 91.56 Short Program
3. Kevin REYNOLDS (CAN) - 85.16 Short Program
4. Daisuke TAKAHASHI (JPN) - 84.67 Short Program, 2nd Copy
5. Brian JOUBERT (FRA) - 84.17 Short Program
6. Michal BREZINA (CZE) - 83.09 Short Program
7. Javier FERNANDEZ (ESP) - 80.76 Short Program
8. Max AARON (USA) - 78.20 Short Program
9. Yuzuru HANYU (JPN) - 75.94 Short Program, 2nd Copy
10. Florent AMODIO (FRA) - 75.73
11. Takahito MURA (JPN) - 73.46 Short Program, 2nd Copy
12. Nan SONG (CHN) - 73.03

yuki

Final Flight

I can't really speak for others, but what got me on the bandwagon was his FS from last year's worlds. That was a champion-in-the-making skate and I've been waiting ever since for him to recapture that magic. He has shown some flashes of brilliance this season, especially in the SP, but something is missing. It doesn't really help that his FS this year is totally unmemorable when (inevitably) compared to last year's Romeo & Juliet.

Of course he is going to seem immature compared to others, but you also have to take into account that he's just 18 - he has time to grow artistically and the potential is there (as well as the big jumps, which always helps).

Moment

Final Flight
Beautiful skate, Patrick. I love how he's the one who gets all the attention for bad judging. He is not even the most overscored of the day. It pays to have a lead, I guess.

Art&Sport

Medalist
I can't really speak for others, but what got me on the bandwagon was his FS from last year's worlds. That was a champion-in-the-making skate and I've been waiting ever since for him to recapture that magic. He has shown some flashes of brilliance this season, especially in the SP, but something is missing. It doesn't really help that his FS this year is totally unmemorable when (inevitably) compared to last year's Romeo & Juliet.

Of course he is going to seem immature compared to others, but you also have to take into account that he's just 18 - he has time to grow artistically and the potential is there (as well as the big jumps, which always helps).

Hanyu has always shone brilliance, but he's had problems with endurance in fp, and now in the last couple of comps, some huge technical mistakes. As far as maturity, he's not there yet and the huge record-breaking scores are overdone. But again, that's ISU scoring these days.

bramweld

Record Breaker

True, when will TAT stop interfering. First she instructs B/S to use Tosca, second she recommends a snoozefest for R/T and then she pulls a 17 year old kid into a gladiator ring. He's not ready yet!! He could have so ended his season on a much greater high if he went to junior worlds. (Although, I hope he redeems himself in the long) Didn't they learn anything from the ridiculous hype and pressure they put on I/K IN 2010.:scowl:

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S SHORT PROGRAM - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Patrick CHAN (CAN) - 98.37 Short Program, 2nd Copy
2. Denis TEN (KAZ) - 91.56 Short Program
3. Kevin REYNOLDS (CAN) - 85.16 Short Program
4. Daisuke TAKAHASHI (JPN) - 84.67 Short Program, 2nd Copy
5. Brian JOUBERT (FRA) - 84.17 Short Program
6. Michal BREZINA (CZE) - 83.09 Short Program
7. Javier FERNANDEZ (ESP) - 80.76 Short Program
8. Max AARON (USA) - 78.20 Short Program
9. Yuzuru HANYU (JPN) - 75.94 Short Program, 2nd Copy
10. Florent AMODIO (FRA) - 75.73 Short Program
11. Takahito MURA (JPN) - 73.46 Short Program, 2nd Copy
12. Nan SONG (CHN) - 73.03

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
True, when will TAT stop interfering. First she instructs B/S to use Tosca, second she recommends a snoozefest for R/T and then she pulls a 17 year old kid into a gladiator ring. He's not ready yet!! He could have so ended his season on a much greater high if he went to junior worlds. (Although, I hope he redeems himself in the long) Didn't they learn anything from the ridiculous hype and pressure they put on I/K IN 2010.:scowl:

Menshov is probably Laughing Now...

yuki

Final Flight
Beautiful skate, Patrick. I love how he's the one who gets all the attention for bad judging. He is not even the most overscored of the day. It pays to have a lead, I guess.

There is a reason for that, given how it's not exactly the first time that he's been overscored.
I agree that there were others who were judged just as generously, though.