2014-15 Grand Prix assignments | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2014-15 Grand Prix assignments

supsu

On the Ice
Does anyone (Mrs P. perhaps) know about Jason's quad? Cause he didn't try it at the competition he entered. So was it because it is summer and he didn't want to push it or because he still hasn't mastered it? Also, has he been working with someone else on those jumps or just Kori? I hope he gets his 3-axel more consistent too.. so he won't turned out a new PChan in that sense..

Otherwise, i have no issues with Jeremy continuing. I hate his comments but maybe he just isn't good with words.. and when he is on, he's a good performer. But as long as US nat judging is on point who ever succeeds deserves to go to worlds (or other major comp).

But i really wonder what Gedevanishvili (or something like that... :D ) or Gao want to accomplish still.. I don't see them getting any better. Of course, it can be just because they enjoy skating and competing and that's a reason enough but still... just makes me wonder. On the other hand, i hope Liza will get her jumps back and would get GOOD programs.

AND i so want to see Yuzu already...! His short seems like it can be a masterpiece if he can up the artistry. Cause the music is very good for artistic and emotional program. And something very different to last years.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Does anyone (Mrs P. perhaps) know about Jason's quad? Cause he didn't try it at the competition he entered. So was it because it is summer and he didn't want to push it or because he still hasn't mastered it? Also, has he been working with someone else on those jumps or just Kori? I hope he gets his 3-axel more consistent too.. so he won't turned out a new PChan in that sense..

Otherwise, i have no issues with Jeremy continuing. I hate his comments but maybe he just isn't good with words.. and when he is on, he's a good performer. But as long as US nat judging is on point who ever succeeds deserves to go to worlds (or other major comp).

But i really wonder what Gedevanishvili (or something like that... :D ) or Gao want to accomplish still.. I don't see them getting any better. Of course, it can be just because they enjoy skating and competing and that's a reason enough but still... just makes me wonder. On the other hand, i hope Liza will get her jumps back and would get GOOD programs.

AND i so want to see Yuzu already...! His short seems like it can be a masterpiece if he can up the artistry. Cause the music is very good for artistic and emotional program. And something very different to last years.

I think Jason was getting used to his new programs. Per this tweet from May 28, they just finished the free skate and was doing the short program next. Therefore the finished-long is only a month old and the short program is probably only three/3.5 weeks old. It was noted there was a 2T in the FS, which is likely a placeholder if he does the quad.

The last (only) video we have of Jason's quad is this one from The Skating Lesson from last summer -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOEynnwfK9A. I would assume it's progressed since that point. But it's hard to say.

I want to make clear that I have no problems with Jeremy continuing and my defense of Jason was strictly on the claims that 1.) He got the media attention due to some unfair advantage cause his mom was once a television producer 2.) That somehow Jason is getting a pass in the judging. I think the last season shows that when he doesn't hit the axels (i.e. total botch; a UR 3A isn't the end of the world) he gets WAY down in the standings. (See Sochi FS).

Last edited:

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I can't understand FS fans who want to retire non-degrading skaters. Let them skate as long as they want and can and we will enjoy their skating.

Jeremy is not degrading, he is reigning US Champion and skated well at Worlds.
Not so good at Olympics - yes. But who cah say about him/her self that he/she newer made mistakes? Skaters also are people and may make mistakes.

He fell in his SP at worlds and he stumbled in his LP. I'm not so sure that is considered skating well.

I am not a fan of Jeremy (obviously) but that does not mean I am pro Jason. Jason is fine but I just haven't seen enough of him yet.

Of course Jeremy can retire when he wants to and he will. :)

Meoima

Match Penalty
He said in the interview that his current SP is just 10% complete, at first I thought he said so because he was not satisfied with the performance. But after watching the program I can see that he spoke the truth. The layout might stay the same but the details are not there yet, JB and Yuzuru will have to add more work, it seems so. But overall this SP has potential to be wayyy better, even than his PW short. It is very very different. I hope he will catch up with the demanding artistry for this piece.

He might perform it again at Fantasy on ice shows which are coming soon, so there is high chance we will have a better version of his new SP next week.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Are you happy with the Grand Prix assignments your skater got for 2014-15?

Did your favorite skater(s) get the assignments you wanted? I'm disappointed that my favorite isn't going to NHK where I think she would get so much love from the fans but I understand she wants to try and win/avenge her rookie year at TEB and CoC :bow: She got to chose her destinations and I like the competotive drive her picks show and maybe next year I'll get to see her at Skate America with an extra year of growth and maturity.
Is your favorite in the right event or did you envision something different for them? Do tell :popcorn:

Tuk at Skate America :agree:
Yuzuru at NHK :agree: #obvious
Radinova at Skate America :go girl:
I/Z at CoR :love:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My fav is Jason Brown. Skate America was a no-brainer, and I'm happy for him. CoR?? I would have rather seen him at TEB or NHK, where the fans would have showered him and the brilliant new programs from Rohene with looove. And he's been to Russia.;)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I would have liked to see Adelina in Skate America, although I think it is very smart to start her season in Russia to establish a higher score and then skate in Japan, where she did some shows this year and should be popular with the fans.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would have liked to see Adelina in Skate America, although I think it is very smart to start her season in Russia to establish a higher score and then skate in Japan, where she did some shows this year and should be popular with the fans.

I feel bad for Anna though. She is the #3 seed and likely an underdog against a likely Olypmic Gold Medalist coming home party. To Top it off Anna is also at home which makes it worse. I just hope she doesn't actually get beat with a rubber hose .... which is how this pick seems to turned out for her IMHO. I'm just Glad Yulia escaped CoR which is obviously what she wanted.

I have no ill will toward Gracie but I'd love to see Elena spoil SA. :slink:

Kuan

Final Flight
@sam
Your question with "...your skater..." again made me realise that my skaters are all gone. Some of them might come back but stil, what an empty and sad feeling. So I am rooting for some new kids I can follow. I quite like So Youn Park and Radionova, but So Youn really has tough assignments. Gold, Mirai, Elena and Tuk will be tough to beat. Rostelecom is Sotnikovas, couse she needs to "establish" (=recive a home and olympic-champion-bonus) a good score. The fight for the other podium places will be between her, Pogs and Mirai I think. Little Zijun Li doesn´t have it any better than her. :slink: For the men, I still have to check the asignments.

alabhaois

On the Ice
My fav is Jason Brown. Skate America was a no-brainer, and I'm happy for him. CoR?? I would have rather seen him at TEB or NHK, where the fans would have showered him and the brilliant new programs from Rohene with looove. And he's been to Russia.;)

Hear, hear, el henry!!

:)

noskates

Record Breaker
I agree - GO JASON!!!

But I'm a little puzzled by Jeremy Abbott getting assignments after he stated last year at Nats that was his last time on National ice. I hope his freeskate at the Olympics didn't persuade him to stay in the game. His choice, I know, but I don't know if my nerves can take another season of having wishes and hopes dashed pretty much every time he steps on the ice.

alabhaois

On the Ice
I agree - GO JASON!!!

But I'm a little puzzled by Jeremy Abbott getting assignments after he stated last year at Nats that was his last time on National ice. I hope his freeskate at the Olympics didn't persuade him to stay in the game. His choice, I know, but I don't know if my nerves can take another season of having wishes and hopes dashed pretty much every time he steps on the ice.

Gosh, no skates, I'm such a novice re the skating community-- I only follow Jason so I don't really know much about Jeremy Abbott. It is curious what you wrote, but I'm afraid I'm far too naïve to give you an informed response! But I'm learning lots just being on this forum, so hope springs eternal!!
;)

Coltrocks12

On the Ice
My skaters are all taking the year off. Maybe I can form new attachments as I watch the Grand Prix Events. It will be my new goal. :)

flutzy13

On the Ice
Ladies
-Thrilled for Wagner who got really lucky with the SC field and has a good shot at a win. She has a tougher field at TEB but a great shot at the podium and therefore the GPF.
-Very excited to see edmunds v. gold at NHK. Hoping Edmunds can upset for a silver (assuming Sotnikova both shows up and wins which is questionable too). She also has a great shot at the podium in China.
-Glad Cain got a GP, wish Hannah Miller had gotten one. Also think Mirai would have easily gotten 2 assignments so using the SA host pick on her doesn't make a ton of sense when Cesario has one GP and Miller/Long have zero.

Men
-Would have preferred Jason anywhere but Russia. Glad Farris got NHK.

Pairs
-I think Z/B not getting SA is a pretty big slight and a clear indicator that they're not USFS's chosen ones for nationals. I think they more than earned a spot at USFS's premier international event with C/S splitting and S/K could have still been chosen as well similar to how D/C and C/S faced each other at the past two Skate Americas.
-Thrilled Kayne and OShea got 2 assignments and that Leng/Shnapir will get on the GP but not until the later assignments.
-Really sad for Moskovitch that release issues appear to be holding up him and Lubov.

Dance
-was hoping Hawayek and Baker would debut at SA but just mostly very excited their debut.
-disappointed Chock and Bates got stuck with Russia where ice dance judging is always suspect but with the new pairs who knows.
-Weaver and Poje are set to win both their assignments which is a little anticlimactic but deserved after some rough GPs the past few years.

Rhodium

On the Ice

Men
-Would have preferred Jason anywhere but Russia. Glad Farris got NHK.

Why are everyone disappointed about Jason coming to Russia? He is my favourite male skater and I am glad that he will come to Moscow.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Jason

Skate America: Completely expected. Glad for him - I'm sure if he got 40 family and friends to Boston, he'll have tons more here! Of course, a bit of extra pressure from home ice, but hopefully he'll take it in stride, and enjoy the experience of skating in his home town.

Cup of Russia: This was a surprise. I wasn't expecting this and I'm not altogether happy about it; they're assembling a field of quad masters and Jason might find himself down the list a bit. That's my only concern; otherwise it makes sense to send him back to the place he made such a splash at last year.

Joshua

Cup of China: I was a bit surprised about this one. CoC has always been the "invisible" GP for me. But that men's field! Josh is going to have his work cut out for him, but if he can skate well, I'm confident he can be a dark horse.

NHK Trophy: I'm so glad he got his dream to skate here! And to make it even better NHK isn't the totally evil minefield that it has been in past years. I hope he skates well and makes the Japanese fans all fall in love with him :)

Max

Skate Canada: This is kinda a weird one. Is this the "Skate America but not Skate America" assignment? Either way, the field, while challenging, is not beyond Max's reach, and a medal is a total possibility - as long as he skates clean, and for himself.

Cup of Russia: Perhaps a little cruel to send him now to the place he so narrowly missed out on for the Olympics, but I'm sure he'll use it as motivation. It'll be good for the Russians to see that they are not the only ones who can produce quad beasts and the field has enough potential that, again, Max could medal here.

Artur

Skate America: On paper, the only person Artur might struggle to beat is Machida. The reality, though, is of course a totally different story. Healed of his injuries and with a change in coach that's already seeing him skate happier and more smoothly, it's quite possible that Artur could pull off an upset medal - IF, and it's a big IF, his reputation hasn't been totally trashed, as we saw at last year's SkAm where Artur finished last despite clearly outskating Majorov. Of course, it is equally possible that things could go wrong for him, but this year, I have more faith than ever.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Why are everyone disappointed about Jason coming to Russia? He is my favourite male skater and I am glad that he will come to Moscow.

I don't know either. I am glad for you! Will you get to see him? You got a pretty sweet Team USA combination there - Jason to make you cry with Tristan & Iseult, and Max to light up the arena!

Barb

Record Breaker
I dont like Shibs in cup of China just because always there is horrible work of camera in Cup of China, I know is silly :p