2014-15 Grand Prix assignments | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2014-15 Grand Prix assignments

ice coverage

Record Breaker
He got promotional opportunities others didn't because of his parent's connections. TRUE. He did. You can't say he didn't

I can say that he did not, b/c I have NO idea what you are talking about.

If you are referring to his appearance on the Arsenio Hall show, I will remind you that by then Jason's Riverdance program had over three million YouTube hits.

Any TV producer worth her/his salt would/should have taken notice that a figure skating video -- no matter who the skater -- went viral. Had NOTHING to do with Jason's parents.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Last year I believe Jason was over hyped for a guy with an iffy 3A and no quads.

He got promotional opportunities others didn't because of his parent's connections. TRUE. He did. You can't say he didn't

He had a great Jr career.

He is being groomed to be National Champ.

I hope he is judged fairly. That's all anyone can ask for.

He hit the 3A when he got silver at nationals (and beat Jeremy in the FS).
His video went viral, which prompted the media coverage. Not his parents so-called connections. Unless you're going to tell me that his parents was somehow responsible for the 4M views.
Yes he was invited to Aresino because of his mom (more that Arsenio invited a dear family friend)...but that's hardly a media coup. In fact Arsenio got cancelled because is low ratings.

So again please stop. :rolleye:

I can say that he did not, b/c I have NO idea what you are talking about.

If you are referring to his appearance on the Arsenio Hall show, I will remind you that by then Jason's Riverdance program had over three million YouTube hits.

Any TV producer worth her/his salt would/should have taken notice that a figure skating video -- no matter who the skater -- went viral. Had NOTHING to do with Jason's parents.

:agree:

Last edited:

BusyMom

Medalist
His video went viral, which prompted the media coverage. Not his parents so-called connections. Unless you're going to tell me that his parents was somehow responsible for the 4M views.
Yes he was invited to Aresino because of his mom (more that Arsenio invited a dear family friend)...but that's hardly a media coup. In fact Arsenio got cancelled because is low ratings.

I agree with Mrs. P. Arsenio needed Jason to boot his rating not the other way around. The crowd goes wild during his performances. He was on the GP podium before his video went viral. I don't think he needs the hype to win any competition.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Thanks again, Mrs. P. More thoughts re Jason on Arsenio Hall's show:

My strong hunch is that as a result of the viral video, Team Jason had been contacted by more than one national TV show about the possibility of appearing as a guest. And that Jason accepted only one of these invitations -- which naturally was Arsenio, based on Hall's longstanding professional and personal relationship with Jason's mother and all of the Browns.

I would add that by the time of the Arsenio appearance, Jason already had placed second at Nationals and already had been named to the Sochi team.
If Arsenio had been willing to be "used" to unfairly hype Jason without any valid editorial reason, then the appearance "should" have taken place before Boston Nats ... maybe even before Skate America, LOL.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thanks again, Mrs. P. More thoughts re Jason on Arsenio Hall's show:

My strong hunch is that as a result of the viral video, Team Jason had been contacted by more than one national TV show about the possibility of appearing as a guest. And that Jason accepted only one of these invitations -- which naturally was Arsenio, based on Hall's longstanding professional and personal relationship with Jason's mother and all of the Browns.

I would add that by the time of the Arsenio appearance, Jason already had placed second at Nationals and already had been named to the Sochi team.
If Arsenio had been willing to be "used" to unfairly hype Jason without any valid editorial reason, then the appearance "should" have taken place before Boston Nats ... maybe even before Skate America, LOL.

Also, nobody was hiding Jason's connection to Arsenio. In fact I think it provided all a chance to go down memory lane. (At one point in the show, Jason's mom went to the producer's booth for all time sake. It was a cute moment.)

Sorry for the OT.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley Cain just did her FS at Broadmoor.
She won the SP with 67.27: 3z+3lo, 3f, 2a.
Her FS was to Evita:
3lo, 3f, 2a+3t, 3lo+2t, 3f+2t, 3s, 2a (fall); she scored 109.49 for a total of 176.76

It is very early in the season, and she is making a strong case for that TBD at SA...

Mirai Nagasu skated to Madame Butterfly with vocals
3f+2t, 2a+2t, 3f, 3z+2t, 3z, 3lo, 2a-bit heavy
MUCH better than her SP.
She scored 117.29 and won the FS, finishing 2nd to Ashley Cain overall with a total 170.48.

Barb

Record Breaker
Her FS was to Evita:
3lo, 3f, 2a+3t, 3lo+2t, 3f+2t, 3s, 2a (fall); she scored 109.49 for a total of 176.76

It is very early in the season, and she is making a strong case for that TBD at SA...

MUCH better than her SP.
She scored 117.29 and won the FS, finishing 2nd to Ashley Cain overall with a total 170.48.

Good for Mirai, I want to watch the video :popcorn:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Her FS was to Evita:
skat

MUCH better than her SP.

Thx, chuckm. Congrats to Cain and Nagasu.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
Don't know if anyone has already noticed it, but it looks like Yulia wants revenge from her first GP season, so she chose those two events that she didn't win in 2012 ;)

That's what I was thinking when I looked at the chart yesterday. She definitely has a good shot at them.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Last year I believe Jason was over hyped for a guy with an iffy 3A and no quads.

He had a great Jr career.

He is being groomed to be National Champ.

I hope he is judged fairly. That's all anyone can ask for.

And who do you think should have gone to the Olympics ahead of Jason?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's interesting that Sotnikova isn't skating at CoR. My cynical mind says it's because there's a possibility she will back out of her GP events and Russia doesn't want the home event to be the one to suffer if she does.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
A couple days he caused a bit of an uproar by tweeting (in Russian) "All Russian fans are much the same as prostitutes, in any sports" so maybe that gives some insight into his attitude.

I'm not one to completely write off a teenager, but I'd rather see any of the other Russians eclipse him at this point.

Ugh, what a disgusting, unpleasant little character he is. I'm so glad Plushy got to go to the Olympics over this little brat.

@Karne
Machida and Ten are tougher adversaries than Max or any of the Russians though (except maybe a returning Plush for the "blow to Artur's confidence factor" :laugh:). So I wouldn't say it's a good field for Artur. That being said, Artur can potentially beat the sloppy Machida of Sochi, or an underwhelming Ten. I expect Machida and Ten to skate relatively well with their new confidence boosts and momentum, but who knows, maybe it's just more pressure.

I'm not expecting Artur to win straight up, but if he could mix it with the guys at Skate America and maybe come away with a bronze, that would be an excellent start. Of course, it then leaves me with a problem of being too overinvested in two skaters at SkAm and there not being enough medals to go around...

Yeah, and with Aaron he helped win back 3 places for men at 2015 Worlds, something the much younger Miner, Rippon, and Dornbush were never able to do.

But what did Abbott do at the Olympics? He blew it, exactly as some of us had predicted; and worse, he blew it with a bad attitude, too. "It's a positive step, it's just a warmup!" is not something that should EVER be said by a skater who has just royally screwed up his short program.

I hope it's a fair playing field this year and Jason doesn't get 0ver-scored. (as well as over hyped and over promoted due to his connections which give him an unfair advantage)

Oh, how did I know you were ready and waiting with this UTTER RUBBISH.

Let me break this down for you slowly: Max had far more media attention and exposure, and even sponsors, before Nationals than ANY of the other US men. HE DID NOT MAKE THE TEAM. So what does this say? It says that you are delusional and talking rubbish.

Jason gets media exposure because he is lovely, intelligent, friendly, and his skating is wonderful. Yes, he went on Arsenio because his mother was once Arsenio's producer. But as others have said, that appearance did more for Arsenio than it did for Jason and came as a natural consequence of what happened at Nationals.

Jason is loveable. It did not escape my notice that during the gala at Nationals when the men's team was announced, there was some cheering when Jeremy appeared, but an absolute roar of delight when Jason appeared. He's not pretentious, he's not arrogant, and you know he's always going to show up and give his best. No wonder people love him.

Compare that to someone who gives up more often than fights, who you can never rely on, who lashes out angrily at fans and swears about them when things aren't going well, who flips off a bad performance with inane comments about it being a warmup...well jeez, it's not hard to see why people might love Jason better.

Jason earned that spot on the Olympic team fair and square. If anyone was overmarked at Nationals...it was Jeremy.

And who do you think should have gone to the Olympics ahead of Jason?

No-one...but Max should have gone instead of Jeremy. At least we know Max would have given his all in the team event. But I can only imagine the uproar it would have caused if the USFSA had had the balls to say, "No, Jeremy, we don't trust you..."

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
But what did Abbott do at the Olympics? He blew it, exactly as some of us had predicted; and worse, he blew it with a bad attitude, too. "It's a positive step, it's just a warmup!" is not something that should EVER be said by a skater who has just royally screwed up his short program.

Jeremy won an Olympic medal, something Kurt Browning or Todd Eldridge never achieved.

Amei

Record Breaker
Jeremy won an Olympic medal, something Kurt Browning or Todd Eldridge never achieved.

While I like Jeremy and like to watch him skate, he has an Olympic medal based on the performance of others, not because his performance earned him a Olympic medal.

aromaticchicken

On the Ice

I'm sorry, I love watching Jeremy when he does well (like his Nationals SP), but we all know that D/W, Gracie, Ashley, Jason, and the rest of the team really won that medal. If Jeremy hadn't screwed up in the short, it's possible U.S. might have even been in contention for a silver in the team event. He placed below every even remotely notable competitor in his portion of the event.

centerpt1

On the Ice
Jeremy did not have a bad attitude. He apologized to his teamates several times.

Jeremy was Nat'l champ-he should have gone.

Now---he should have been assigned the long instead of the short. He would have done better with it.

At least Jeremy tried to get the quad out there in the long and the short.

At Champs camp it seemed the word went out to work towards quads in the Short and Long. Many US men tried that. Jason didn't and leapfrogged over many who were trying.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
At least Jeremy tried to get the quad out there in the long and the short.

At Champs camp it seemed the word went out to work towards quads in the Short and Long. Many US men tried that. Jason didn't and leapfrogged over many who were trying.

Oh geez, so you're holding it against Jason and his team that they opted to not take their chances on a jump he hasn't mastered yet and rather chose to focus on clean, well-choreographed programs? That's called strategy. And it wasn't foolproof because had the others hit their quads and did clean programs he would have been out of he team. But that's not what happened.

It's not Jason's or Kori's fault that others decided to take the high-risk strategy and it didn't work out.

Last edited:

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
Oh geez, so you're holding it against Jason and his team that they opted to not take their chances on a jump he hasn't mastered yet and rather chose to focus on clean, well-choreographed programs? That's called strategy. And it wasn't foolproof because had the others hit their quads and did clean programs he would have been out of he team. But that's not what happened.

It's not Jason's or Kori's fault that others decided to take the high-risk strategy and it didn't work out.

Isn't this the same way some would have held it against Jeremy or even say, Lysacek had he competed this year and not risked the quads? Evan broke himself at Champs camp on a violent fall on the quad because of this kind of thing going into an Olympic year. Would those two had been given the same considerations as Jason and Kori had they or other mens skaters decided not to do quads? Because I know that both Lysacek and especially Jeremy can skate circles choreographically around Jason.