2014 Coupe de Nice October 15th-19th | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2014 Coupe de Nice October 15th-19th

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Did anyone watch the free dance? I only caught the last flight. C&B of course won, but they had a lot of mistakes. The FD is to Muse. :yawn: I am still trying to figure out how they got any credit at all for the twizzles. And the spin was very untidy. But they had a great rotational lift though :love: !!

Four videos (the last warmup group) videos are in the video thread.

ETA now 5

Last edited:

beebee51

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Did anyone watch the free dance? I only caught the last flight. C&B of course won, but they had a lot of mistakes. The FD is to Muse. :yawn: I am still trying to figure out how they got any credit at all for the twizzles. And the spin was very untidy. But they had a great rotational lift though :love: !!

Four videos (the last warmup group) videos are in the video thread.

ETA now 5

Doris, I too, question how C/B got any credit for their twizzles, as Nick's mistake was on the first set. Not crazy about the music either but I thought they look much improved: much better speed and attack. I do find them a little unfinished though. Seems that the judges appreciated the way that they aggressively went for it, but IMO the PCS was inflated. That said, I look forward to seeing how they fare on the GP circuit.

Barb

Record Breaker
Wow, Liza had a clean skate again, definitly this season we have a new Liza :clap:

GF2445

Record Breaker
Doris, I too, question how C/B got any credit for their twizzles, as Nick's mistake was on the first set. Not crazy about the music either but I thought they look much improved: much better speed and attack. I do find them a little unfinished though. Seems that the judges appreciated the way that they aggressively went for it, but IMO the PCS was inflated. That said, I look forward to seeing how they fare on the GP circuit.

I agree. They have more speed and attack. They need to address their step sequences though as they got dinged for unclear edgework. They also need to look for moments to show that they can skate in dancehold on long deep edges. In saying that, they have definitely taken a step up. They want to be competing for the podium in 2018.

TMC

Record Breaker
I agree. They have more speed and attack. They need to address their step sequences though as they got dinged for unclear edgework. They also need to look for moments to show that they can skate in dancehold on long deep edges. In saying that, they have definitely taken a step up. They want to be competing for the podium in 2018.

I was surprised at how much I liked it. Also surprised at how they got credit for the twizzles! And at how much they seem to have developed. Like a different pair altogether. If they polish this up and make it the best that it can be, they're in the mix for sure!

Mattieu

Medalist
Doris, I too, question how C/B got any credit for their twizzles, as Nick's mistake was on the first set.

They got credit for the twizzles, as despite him losing balance in the first set, if you watch his skate only, you will see he continued the twizzles in a consistent forward motion and did all the rotations even though the last 2 rotations were slightly out of sync with Penny. So technically the set counts, but the GOE should reflect the mis balance and lack of synchronization.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Alina BELETSKAYA (UKR)

Music: Time Will Remember Us (from "Epic Score")

Dark blue one-sleeve dress with white sparkly toothy edge

3Lz
3S - stepout
3T
FCSp
2Lo
LSp
2Lz - twofoot
3S+REP - twofoot, looked <
2A - fall
StSq
ChSq - spiral, ina bauer, spread eagle, back spiral
CCoSp3p

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Natalia POPOVA (UKR)

Music: Samson & Delilah

Blush/black ombre dress

..miss the first half...
3S+2T+1Lo - hangs on, maybe 3S<
2A
CCoSp3p
StSq
LSp

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Laurine LECAVELIER (FRA)

Black velvet dress, silvery sequin edge

3Lo<< - stepout
3Lz - fall
2A+1Lo
StSq
FCCoSp3p
ChSq
3F - e, foot down
3Lz+2T - turnout
CCoSp3p
3T - stepout
2A
LSp

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Isabelle OLSSON (SWE)

Music:

Light blue sating strapless dress. matching white gloves

3Lo
2A+1Lo+1S - stepout after 2A
3Lz+2T - hand down on lutz
FCSp
ChSq
2F
LSp
3S - hand down, stepout, maybe <
3Lz - fall, maybe <
StSq
2A - hands down, stepout
FCCoSp3p

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Elizaveta TUKTAMISHEVA (RUS)

Music: Batwannis Beek by The REG Project; Sandstorm by La Bionda

Loose sheer purple wrap dress

3Lz+2T+2Lo
3Lz
2F
LSp
FSSp
3T+3T
2Lo
3S+2A+SEQ - turnout
StSq
2A - 'tano
ChSq
CCoSp3p

Not perfect, but more than enough for the win

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Miriam ZIEGLER / Severin KIEFER (AUT)

Music: Phantasia by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Richard Stilgoe; Music of the Night by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Richard Stilgoe

She's in white frilly dress, He's in black velvet cost, red tie, black pants

3T+2T+2T - very solid
2Tw
2LoTh - hesitant landing
FCCoSp3p
BoDs* - she caught edge, stopped, no more than one rotation
5RLi
2S
5ALi* - shakyentry, aborted at start
ChSq
3STh - hand down
3Li
PCoSp3p

FS: 38.16+36.08 = 74.24, 114.00, 1st (out of 1)

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Bianca MANACORDA / Niccolo MACII (ITA)

Music: The Godfather

She's in black lace dress. He's in white shirt, black vest and pants

2Tw
3FTh
2F
5RLi
FCCoSp3p
ChSq
3Li
3TTh - bit low
PCoSp3p
2F+2T
5TLi
FiDs

FS: 40.70+42.00 = 82.70, 124.86, 1st (out of 2)

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Vera BAZAROVA / Audrey DEPUTAT (RUS)

Music: Adios Nonino

She's in red dress with black lace, red rose. He's in all black

3T
3Tw - looked clean, bit vertical
2A+1Lo+2S - unison way off, she has hand down on 2S, maybe 2A<
BoDs
FCCoSp3p - unison off
3FTh - fall
3LoTh
ChSq
5ALi
3Li
5RLi
PCoSp3p

FS: 51.96+53.68-1.00 = 104.64, 152.10, 1st (out of 3)

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Mari VARTMANN / Aaron VAN CLEAVE (GER)

Music: Concierto de Aranjuez by Joaquin Rodrigo

Both in dark red with gold accents

2Tw
3T+2T
3LzTh - fall
BoDs
3S - she stepout/hand down/almost fall
FCCoSp3p - unison off at end
5BLi
ChSq
3STh
5RLi - bit wobbly
3Li
PCoSp3p

FS: 49.50+53.92-1.00 = 102.42, 151.02, 2nd (out of 4)

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Nicole DELLA MONICA / Matteo GUARISE (ITA)

Music: The Mask of Zorro (soundtrack) by James Horner (with vocals)

She's in black/red dress with laces. He's in sheer black costume with sparkle

3Tw
3S - both fall
2A - she singles, he has hand down
PCoSp3p
3LoTh - stepout
BoDs
5RLi
ChSq
5ALi
3STh
3Li
FCCoSp3p

FS: 48.39+53.36-2.00 = 99.75, 153.29, 1st (out of 5)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
They got credit for the twizzles, as despite him losing balance in the first set, if you watch his skate only, you will see he continued the twizzles in a consistent forward motion and did all the rotations even though the last 2 rotations were slightly out of sync with Penny. So technically the set counts, but the GOE should reflect the mis balance and lack of synchronization.

I think that is a very lenient view of what happened. However, I did not see the view the tech panel had.

http://nice-baie-des-anges.fr/images/stories/docs-coupe/resultats2014/html/SEG011OF.HTM

I am a bit skeptical given that Hilary Selby was the technical controller.
http://www.iceskating.org.uk/node/7176

Hilary Selby, performance director for NISA, said: “This will be another good opportunity for ...

IMO, It is very human to be forgiving when it is your own group that errs. Especially when it is or has been your job to be responsible for your country's athletes' performance. It is an impulse common to all people.

BTW, This is more of a conflict than Alla Shekhovtsova had with Adelina Sotnikova again, IMO.

Last edited:

GF2445

Record Breaker
I reviewed the footage of the twizzles. The twizzles would've counted as a level two. If nicholas fell or stopped twizzled altogether, it would not have counted but he kept rotating, he stopped the first rotation mostly in sync with Penny and they continued with the second and third sets of twizzles, which means it still counted. Also keep in mind that they got dinged for their step sequences and dance spin. I do not believe this is a conflict of interest. The accusation of national bias in a judged sport is very very serious in high level sport.