2014 Junior Worlds - Russian team | Golden Skate

2014 Junior Worlds - Russian team

96skiluvr

On the Ice
With the JGP over, Russian Nationals this week (Russian Jrs will be in late January/early February), and 2014 approaching, who does everyone think will make the Jr World team (for all disciplines, especially Ladies and Pairs)?

Men:
Since they only have 2 spots, it should be Adian Pitkeev and Alexander Petrov

Ladies:
In my opinion, there are 5 fully qualified ladies who all deserve a spot, and 2 are going to miss out :(
Radionova, Sotskova, Sakhanovich, Medvedeva, and Proklova all deserve spots. I'm thinking it's going to be the first three I mentioned: Radionova, Sotskova, and Sakhanovich or Medvedeva. My personal preference would be Sakhanovich, Medvedeva, and Proklova, but Radionova will most definitely go.

Pairs:
Again, 5 fully qualified teams, and only 3 get to go. I think it's going to be Vigalova/Zakroev (they look to solidly be the best junior team in Russia right now), Fedorova/Miroshkin, and Tarasova/Morozov. I would prefer that Davankova/Deputat go instead of Fedorova/Miroshkin, but I don't see that happening.

Dance:
Yanovskaya/Mozgov (total no-brainer; they're clearly the top junior Russian dance team)
Popova/Vlasenko (probably)
What about the 3rd spot? No one pops out to me; it will most likely be decided by whoever's 3rd at Russian Juniors

What does everyone else think? Ladies and Pairs are so insanely competitive this year in Russia - should be two fantastic competitions (Nationals and Jr Nationals).

Please leave your thoughts!!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It's worth remembering that if Anna Pogorilaya (age 15) isn't assigned to Olympics, Worlds, or Europeans (which may happen), the Russian Fed would have the option of assigning her to Junior Worlds. For that mattern Tuktamysheva (17) is still young enough for Junior Worlds, as is Adelina Sotnikova (17). Depending on the results at Russian Nationals, any of these girls might find themselves assigned to Jr. Worlds.

So I think only Radionova is a lock in the ladies discipline for Junior Worlds, since she has had a wonderful season, and is not old enough for Senior Worlds.

I agree with your pairs & men guesses.

In dance, my guess for the third team is Alla LOBODA / Pavel DROZD, but yes, the team will not be finalized until after Russian Jr Nationals, I think.

Last edited:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Sotnikova and Tuk going back to Jr. Worlds ? :unsure: I dont think that will happen again
when they will be fighting again for a senior Worlds spot after the Olympics
besides wasn't there a new rule to be implemented after the 2014 Olympics, skaters competing in the senior level can no longer return for Jr. Worlds ?

Pogorilaya can return to Jr. Worlds probably if she isn't elected for Euros, depending on her Jr. National Results

an ideal Jr. Worlds Team would be:
Radionova, Sotskova and Pogorilaya / or Sakhanovich

hanca

Record Breaker
I don't think that Sotnikova and Tuktamysehva would be sent to junior worlds. The current juniors are much more reliable than risking sending Tuktamysheva, and I do believe that sotnikova will probably go to senior worlds.

But I do agree that choice will be from six ladies: Radionova, Pogorilaya, Sotskova, Sakhanovich, Medvedeva, and Proklova.
My favourites are Radionova, Sakhanovich and Proklova. Pogorilaya has a good chance to go to Europeans so I would prefer if they sent to junior worlds someone who can't be sent to Europeans. I think the most likely sent will be Radionova, and possibly Sahkanovich and Sotskova (but then again before JGPF we thought that Medvedeva and Proklova have better chance than Sakhanovich and Sotskova). A lot will depend on the results of junior nationals.

From pairs I like most Vigalova/Zakroev, Fedorova/Miroshkin, and Davankova/Deputat. Not sure why but Tarasova/Morozov and Gainedtinova/Bich are not doing anything for me.
In the JGPF they finished in this order:
1.Vigalova/Zakroev,
2.Fedorova/Miroshkin,
3.Tarasova/Morozov,
4.Davankova/Deputat
5.Gainedtinova/Bich,

but then again if we look at the scores they got during their two JGP events and JGPF we can see that the order from the highest score to the lowest is actually
1.Vigalova/Zakroev (168.10),
2.Davankova/Deputat(161.03),
3.Tarasova/Morozov (157.82),
4.Fedorova/Miroshkin (156.55)
5.Gainedtinova/Bich (142.84).

In any case, it seems that Gainedtinova/Bich have the smallest chance based on their current results, unless they skate really well at their nationals. Vigalova/Zakroev have the best chance to be sent, and for the remaining 2 spots it will be fight among the remaining three pairs.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
besides wasn't there a new rule to be implemented after the 2014 Olympics, skaters competing in the senior level can no longer return for Jr. Worlds ?

I don't think that rule ever came to be.

Kovtun is still young enough to go, I think? ;)

siela

On the Ice
Stepanova/Bukin will participate in Junior Nationals. I do not think they will have a problem qualifying for Junior Worlds. So in Ice Dance there is only one spot to grab, Stepanova/Bukin and Yanovskaya/Mozgov being locks.

lcd

Match Penalty
Stepanova/Bukin will participate in Junior Nationals. I do not think they will have a problem qualifying for Junior Worlds. So in Ice Dance there is only one spot to grab, Stepanova/Bukin and Yanovskaya/Mozgov being locks.

If those 2 teams compete at Junior Worlds, it will make for another exciting competition. Not like Junior Grand Prix Final where Y/M dominated.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
If those 2 teams compete at Junior Worlds, it will make for another exciting competition. Not like Junior Grand Prix Final where Y/M dominated.

Y/M would still win Jr. Worlds without errors
S/B reputation suffered a bit in their seniors debut

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
After Senior Nationals I really want Proklova to go. She has beautiful lines, is super flexible and can jump well! Moreover, despite her age she really presents the programm well. And I can rewatch her SP many many times! But I guess we have to wait until Junior Nationals, cause despite being 1st out of junior ladies on Nationals, she was last at JGPF.
Also, 99% sure Radionova will go, which is absolutely fine with me cause she is simply amazing, insparational and entertaining! Also, she had great debut season in seniors.

It will be so hard for Federation to decide, cause all 5 girls are amazing, and each one of them can deliver.

amc987

On the Ice
Isn't Radionova the reigning World Junior Champ? I know she's only 14, but what's the point in going back to Junior Worlds? She made a name for herself in her senior events this year. I just don't understand what she'd gain by returning to the junior level. She's already going to get 2 GP assignments and she has a reputation with international judges. It seems like she'd be better off resting/ starting on her programs for next season...

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
Isn't Radionova the reigning World Junior Champ? I know she's only 14, but what's the point in going back to Junior Worlds? She made a name for herself in her senior events this year. I just don't understand what she'd gain by returning to the junior level. She's already going to get 2 GP assignments and she has a reputation with international judges. It seems like she'd be better off resting/ starting on her programs for next season...
I guess she and her coach don't like the idea of resting for such a long period of time. After Nationals she said that now she will be preparing for Junior Worlds.
And she does have a good chance of winning there and have 2 titles in her bag. She had an amazing season so far.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
She also be the first Ladies skater to do so (get two Jr. World titles back-to-back). Neither Adelina nor Julia has been able to return and take a second World Jr. title.

And I think she would get some extra ranking points, which never hurts.

lcd

Match Penalty
She has the title already but I agree, the Championship level points make it the most valuable competitive opportunity for her short of the Senior World Championships, for which I would presume she is the alternate (?)

Points and ISU standing contribute to rankings in the upcoming season. It never hurts to be seeded higher and skate ones short program in the Grand Prix in the second group

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
the Senior World Championships, for which I would presume she is the alternate (?)

The criteria for Worlds are the same as for Olympics and Europeans: Elena Radionova is too young to participate this season.
Since she can't go to the senior competitions, and has a really excellent shot at winning the Junior Worlds again, I agree she should definitely go.
In the past, JWC winners choosing not to go to the next year's JWC was because
a) they had gotten too old
b) they wanted to focus on their senior career, and didn't want to be associated with juniors anymore
c) they feared they wouldn't win again. Being the WJ Champion and only finishing 2nd or worse the next year, that already sounds like a step back...

Everybody has been talking about Radionova being too young for Olympics anyway, and she's so consistent that a win is really likely. The ISU points are certainly a nice bonus too.