2014 Worlds Junior Ladies - Free Skate | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds Junior Ladies - Free Skate

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
At least it's Junior Worlds rather than what happened to the Russians at last Senior Worlds losing the third Olympic spot by about the same margin.

And I can see the US getting at least a few more JGP spots. Russia and Japan will likely use most of theirs but I'm not sure if Canada will and I don't know if South Korea will use all theirs.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Regarding body change, we have to agree some skaters will stay skinny their entire career, such as Sasha, probably due to genetics, and some grow much fuller, also due to genetics. So I guess knowing a skaters' parents or siblings's body type would help to predict the future body change.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Ya, I wanted to say the same thing but was afraid fans would attack me :big grin: It was not that obvious last season, but with the LP video uploaded today, it is pretty worrisome.
Karen Chen's body type reminds me of Caroline Zhang except she is shorter and stockier

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Ya, I wanted to say the same thing but was afraid fans would attack me :big grin: It was not that obvious last season, but with the LP video uploaded today, it is pretty worrisome.

Chen has the body type of Caroline Zhang and stocky built, she wont be a stick figure when she grows up like Edmunds or Pogorilaya
at least Chen has speed, and a better technique than Zhang but not sure how that will hold up enough for Chen in the future

lutzlover

On the Ice
It may just be me, but I'm worried that Karen will lose/have difficulties with her jumps in the future. Her jump technique looks very odd to me, especially on lutz and flip.

flying camel

Medalist
I can't believe Amber Glenn skated so poorly after skating so well at Nationals. Maybe they should have let Hannah Miller go. The girls they sent did awful.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
I can't believe Amber Glenn skated so poorly after skating so well at Nationals. Maybe they should have let Hannah Miller go. The girls they sent did awful.

I'm not sure if Miller would have done better, as she has been dealing with injury and doesn't have the planned difficulty.

I agree that Polina Edmunds is the only one USA could have sent, who with certainty would have done better. The current USA junior girls doesn't have the difficulty or consistency to challenge the Russians.

Becki

Medalist
Since Medvedeva fell the judges had to make sure they give her the best chances to stay on the podium. Miyahara was once again massively underscored and roobed of a medal. I had a hope post Sochi the over-scoring of the Russians will stop. It's good to know what to expect for Worlds in Japan

I feel for Satako :'( She's a great champion in the making tho!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The US girls don't have anywhere near the competitive experience the Russian girls do.

The Russian girls go through exhaustive domestic competitions against one another from a very early age, just to get to go to nationals, then the JGP and after that, to go to the ISU championships. Summer competitions in the US, regionals and sectionals are nowhere near as rigorous as the Russian equivalents.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
The US girls don't have anywhere near the competitive experience the Russian girls do.

The Russian girls go through exhaustive domestic competitions against one another from a very early age, just to get to go to nationals, then the JGP and after that, to go to the ISU championships. Summer competitions in the US, regionals and sectionals are nowhere near as rigorous as the Russian equivalents.

That is true, but this format is probably not possible in USA as skaters trains all over the country (in Russia most are based in and near Moscow).

During the JGP the USFSA does need to be better at assigning skaters based on the current form and not on Nationals 7 months ago (this though have improved). Too often the best US skater do not get enough JGP experience before the big championships.

Sara

On the Ice
Radionova is really amazing but I do not like fer FS programme and music this season... :/ I hope her team will create a programme more appropriate for her age for the next season. Sakhanovic and Medvedeva were great too. I like Miyahara but unlike what others said I don't think her PCS should've been much higher than Medvedeva's. Her interpretation was quite poor, she has the same poker face throughout the programme... I hope she'll be able to improve her artistic skills in the future and also improve her tiny jumps. I'm very glad that the 2 Korean girls did so well! I didn't expect both of them to reach top 10. This competition showed the huge gap between the Russian and US junior skaters. Before this event I thought Amber would be closer to the top 3. She seemed pretty pleased with how she skated which surprises me as she did some big mistakes. It's true what was said above that the US junior skaters need more experience from international (and national) competitions.

NMURA

Medalist
It's a shame that Miyahara was placed below of a skater who wouldn't make it to Euros and worlds in future. I think the biggest drawback of her is the lack of appeals. Not about something called expressiveness or artistry. Her height is less of a problem as seen in cases of Uno and Nathan Chen who are received very well by the judges. She doesn't have much of a presence to grab the hearts of judges and audiences. Bulgaria is a brother state of Russia, which could have influenced the relative PCS of skaters to some extent.

hanca

Record Breaker
It's a shame that Miyahara was placed below of a skater who wouldn't make it to Euros and worlds in future. I think the biggest drawback of her is the lack of appeals. Not about something called expressiveness or artistry. Her height is less of a problem as seen in cases of Uno and Nathan Chen who are received very well by the judges. She doesn't have much of a presence to grab the hearts of judges and audiences. Bulgaria is a brother state of Russia, which could have influenced the relative PCS of skaters to some extent.

Oh, please! This is similar rubbish like if we said that China and Korea are brother states of Japan and that can influence the PCS of Japanese skaters competing in Korea or China!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That is true, but this format is probably not possible in USA as skaters trains all over the country (in Russia most are based in and near Moscow).

During the JGP the USFSA does need to be better at assigning skaters based on the current form and not on Nationals 7 months ago (this though have improved). Too often the best US skater do not get enough JGP experience before the big championships.

IMO, the lack of competitive experience is one of the big reasons why USFS has usually NOT sent new junior champs to JW, but instead has selected age-eligible seniors. Probably because this was an Olympic year things got shifted around. Perhaps USFS should have sent Barbie Long instead of Tyler Pierce.

LittleBlueBird

Rinkside
Compare to last year's junior world result. Actually three girls did not look that bad....

1 Elena Radionova Russia 169.71 5 53.48 1 116.23
2 Yulia Lipnitskaya Russia 165.67 4 53.86 2 111.81
3 Anna Pogorilaya Russia 160.32 2 53.98 3 106.34
4 Samantha Cesario USA 154.55 1 54.69 4 99.86
5 Courtney Hicks USA 152.92 3 53.98 5 98.94
11 Yasmin Siraj United States 139.08 13 47.65 9 91.43

LittleBlueBird

Rinkside
I should have listed all up to 11 so you can see how Japan skaters did last year too:
1 Elena Radionova Russia 169.71 5 53.48 1 116.23
2 Yulia Lipnitskaya Russia 165.67 4 53.86 2 111.81
3 Anna Pogorilaya Russia 160.32 2 53.98 3 106.34
4 Samantha Cesario United States 154.55 1 54.69 4 99.86
5 Courtney Hicks United States 152.92 3 53.98 5 98.94
6 Gabrielle Daleman Canada 149.39 8 50.70 6 98.69
7 Satoko Miyahara Japan 147.42 6 52.16 8 95.26
8 Alaine Chartrand Canada 144.38 12 48.14 7 96.24
9 Rika Hongo Japan 142.62 7 52.15 10 90.47
10 Nathalie Weinzierl Germany 139.10 10 49.97 11 89.13
11 Yasmin Siraj United States 139.08 13 47.65 9 91.43